I have just finally linked my connection to John Andrew Stopani, he would be my g g g great grandfather. I would really appreciate if you would consider sharing any information you find on the family prior to fleeing italy? I am actually going to italy for my honeymoon next summer and am planning on checking out the town John lived in.
To explain the connection, John Andrew Stopani had a son, also called John. John Stopani (jr) married Helen Milne, they had a daughter named Hannah Stopani, who married Robert Booth. Hannah and Robert had a daughter, Jane Elgin Stopani Booth. Jane is my maternal great grandmother (or great little grannie as I called her!). I was able to find Hannah Stopani and Robert Booth's marriage certificate, my great little grannie's birth certificate, and Robert Booth's death certificate. Very interesting stuff. Anyways, if you would be willing to share your knowledge, I would greatly appreciate it! Sincerely, Lauren Nicole Willcocks, Owen Sound, Ontario
Stopani
Re: Stopani
Hi I was looking into my family tree and found your post. My great great grandfather was Monsignor William Stopani's brother John and they were two of John Andrew and Christina Stopani's children. It was the father, John Andrew who came over from Italy to Aberdeen. John Andrew the son married Ellen (Helen); they had several children but James married Jane and had a daughter called Jane. It is very complicated when they are all called the same name. Jane married a Garioch Smith (my grandparents) who had two daughters Frances (my mother) and Jennie. My mother is now 94 and lives near us. Did you go to Italy and find out more? We are hoping to go to Milan next year. My cousin has been and saw the Stopani mausoleum and I have a picture. Carole Phillips, Reading, England
Re: Stopani
Hello All,
My 4th Great Grandfather is John Stopani, I have tracked everything back to when he came to the Scotland - and as many of you have said, left the north of Italy.
I know that in WWII, the family records were destroyed in Italy, which really means everything I have comes from my Father and Grandmother. I know this as my Grandfather was on the run which destroyed the buildings - I never got to ask him why he knew this... but still. Whilt my Grandmother is no longer with us, my Father has had contact with his relatives and based on what I could I have grabbed together a good tree... all the way to Scotand. Its on Ancestry, and I am happy to share if you would like it.
@carolep I would love to see your cousins photo of the mausoleum, I feel I saw one in the past, but I really do not remember where or when I saw it.
I actually do have a Stopani Barometer also... It has the same nots as mentioned too... I will have to see if I can find a photo
My 4th Great Grandfather is John Stopani, I have tracked everything back to when he came to the Scotland - and as many of you have said, left the north of Italy.
I know that in WWII, the family records were destroyed in Italy, which really means everything I have comes from my Father and Grandmother. I know this as my Grandfather was on the run which destroyed the buildings - I never got to ask him why he knew this... but still. Whilt my Grandmother is no longer with us, my Father has had contact with his relatives and based on what I could I have grabbed together a good tree... all the way to Scotand. Its on Ancestry, and I am happy to share if you would like it.
@carolep I would love to see your cousins photo of the mausoleum, I feel I saw one in the past, but I really do not remember where or when I saw it.
I actually do have a Stopani Barometer also... It has the same nots as mentioned too... I will have to see if I can find a photo
