I was fortunate enough to locate a ship's manifest that listed the town of residence for my Great Grandfather Severio as Palizzi. It showed Severio Mafrici arriving into New York with his step-brother Vincenzo Stilo in March of 1904.
Any advice on getting records from Palizzi? I have had a huge brick wall with this side of the family.
Thank you in advance, I have been so stuck for over two years on this. Maria
Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
- Joannsalvo
- Elite

- Posts: 304
- Joined: 10 Feb 2008, 15:31
- Location: NJ
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
Is it possible they weren't born in Palizzi and in the town of Reggio Calabria?
Did Saverio have any other brothers living in the US?
Marty
Did Saverio have any other brothers living in the US?
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
Hi Martyadelfio wrote:Is it possible they weren't born in Palizzi and in the town of Reggio Calabria?
Did Saverio have any other brothers living in the US?
Marty
For reference purposes, here is the 1904 arrival manifest for Saverio Mafrici, 22, and his step brother Vincenzo Stilo, 15
Place of last residence is definitely Palizzi (several passengers list this town)
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... sePUB=true
According to this Detained Aliens Sheet for the above arrival...
Saverio Mafrici and Vincenzo Stilo were going to "cousin F. Saverio, 332 E 63, NYC"
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... sePUB=true
EDIT TO ADD***
Here is a possible WWI Alien Registration card for Vincenzo Stilo
He lists his birthplace as Palizzi
http://interactive.ancestry.com/6482/00 ... sePUB=true
AND a possible trip by Vincenzo and his family in 1933... (children born in Metuchen, NJ)
He indicates that he was naturalized in New Brunswick, NJ in 1932
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7488/NY ... sePUB=true
T.
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
I do believe the Stilo family in Metuchen, NJ is that of the same Vincenzo. I have been unable to locate a marriage license for him and Florence Scarpell to try and determine parents. And aquiring New Jersey death certificates require much more family information than New York (i.e., parents). It appears this Vincenzo died in 1981.
I am hopeful that Palizzi is the right location for this family and may be able to finally track down the roots of my great grandfather Severio who died in 1909.
I am hopeful that Palizzi is the right location for this family and may be able to finally track down the roots of my great grandfather Severio who died in 1909.
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
Another option that MAY provide names of parents and place of birth is Vincenzo's Social Security Application...
Here is the SSDI listing for Vincenzo Stilo.
Vincent Stilo
United States Social Security Death Index
Age 92
Given Name Vincent
Surname Stilo
Birth Date 21 May 1889
State New Jersey
Last Place of Residence Somerset, New Jersey
Previous Residence Postal Code 08853
Event Date Feb 1981
NOTE: I have sent you a PM with the SS# I located in a search of SSDI
You can request the SS-5 (SS application) at this site. Should have parents' names and place of birth...
Request the photocopy, not the extract
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp
T.
Here is the SSDI listing for Vincenzo Stilo.
Vincent Stilo
United States Social Security Death Index
Age 92
Given Name Vincent
Surname Stilo
Birth Date 21 May 1889
State New Jersey
Last Place of Residence Somerset, New Jersey
Previous Residence Postal Code 08853
Event Date Feb 1981
NOTE: I have sent you a PM with the SS# I located in a search of SSDI
You can request the SS-5 (SS application) at this site. Should have parents' names and place of birth...
Request the photocopy, not the extract
https://secure.ssa.gov/apps9/eFOIA-FEWe ... t/main.jsp
T.
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
In year's past these Social Security documents have been great with all information intact. In the last year, those that I have requested have all had the parent's names blackened out. Looks like the laws may have changed. I will try but not hopeful here . . .
Re: Palizzi, Calabria Records (Mafrici, Stilo)
Hi all (on this topic),
please have a look at the below link
https://www.archiviodiocesanoreggiobova ... p112/view/
Stilo Vincenzo has been baptised in Palizzi S.Anna Church.
According to my records he should have 3 children and the real name of his wife should be Scarpelli Franceschina.
Hope this helps
Sergio
please have a look at the below link
https://www.archiviodiocesanoreggiobova ... p112/view/
Stilo Vincenzo has been baptised in Palizzi S.Anna Church.
According to my records he should have 3 children and the real name of his wife should be Scarpelli Franceschina.
Hope this helps
Sergio


