Tessa- thanks again for all your gracious help - I shall follow through on Monday when I go to the local Family History Center and their free access to Ancestry.oom, etc. Their summer hours are very abbreviated as they are served by volunteers only, and Mondays work for me. Also, I am more and more convinced the "Sapamanu" of which my grandfather spoke has to be the Terranova "SAPPO MINULIO" you located! On a Calabrian map last night I located a
"Taurianova" only and thought "Terranova" might be a misspelling, but today I discovered they are two different places - only about 5 KM apart. TSM is only about 600 pop and Taurianove is 15000+ pop. (no wonder it made my map). Also,I am going to go back to this Home Page and see if I can post a new query, identifying the Richichi family from TSM rather than Catona. If you see it posted, please respond in future to that one -- Mille grazie -Nick
Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
-
lenorecastaldo
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 18 May 2015, 15:19
Re: Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
NDR wrote:Vicenzo Richichi,my grandfather, was born in Catona between 1885-1887. He came to America on the Sicilian Prince, sailng from Messina and arriving Ellis Island on 7 Aug 1906. His only other sibling to immigrate was his sister Teresa Richichi, who sailed on the Sant'Anna
from Naples, arrivng Ellis Island on 13 March 1913. In America she married a man whose last name was Alessi and they settled in Amsterdam, NY. Back in Italy, my grandfather's brother Gaetano went to military school and was eventally a Caribinieri. That is all I know of the fmaily in Italy, where they were farmers in thh Catona area.
My grandparents came here about the same time. My grandfather's name was Antonio Richichi and my grandmother was Maria Casaro. I know he had a brother named Joseph. They settled in Little Italy in Manhattan. Then, on to Mamaroneck, NY. His brother Joe eventually settled in Long Island and his sister Marion in the Bronx, NY. That's about it. There are other Richichi's in Stamford Ct. who I THINK were my grandfathers cousins. One was a lawyer (who just passed away) his name was Joseph.
By the way, mine is the ONLY branch of the family spelled RICKICKE (immigration)
Is any of this helpful at all?
Re: Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
Hello, My name is Richard. My great grandmother was Theresa Alessi. She married Rocco Alessi and resided in Amsterdam, N.Y. They had 6 children. Nancy, my grandmother. Mary, Anthony, Carmen, Salvatore and Joseph. I am curious to here more about my familia in Reggio Calabria.
Re: Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
Hello Richard! Welcome to the forum...ricksemp wrote:Hello, My name is Richard. My great grandmother was Theresa Alessi. She married Rocco Alessi and resided in Amsterdam, N.Y. They had 6 children. Nancy, my grandmother. Mary, Anthony, Carmen, Salvatore and Joseph. I am curious to here more about my familia in Reggio Calabria.
Are you searching for early records for your grandmother's family? Do you have any US records?
We can help you search, but you may want to start your own thread (New topic) so more will see your post.
T.
Re: Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
Hi, sorry to pop in so much later here. My name is Ashley, and my paternal grandfather's name was Antonio Richichi as well. He immigrated to New york in 1955 or 56 from fiumara with his wife Catarina and his children which included my grandfather domenico. Catarina last name was buda, she was from rosali. I have been searching for a long time now and cannot at all find any documents at all, it is not helping matters that unlike everyone else I was not taught Italian and my little cousins that were cannot read cursive. I'm at my wits end, any help would be gravely appreciated if there's any to be had.
Thank you
Ashley catherine
Thank you
Ashley catherine
Re: Richichi Family of Catona, Reggio Calabria
Ashley,
Can you tell us where in the USA they settled? Maybe we can trace backwards to find some information for you.
What are the other children's names?
Years of birth for Antonio and for Caterina?
On this arrival manifest for 1955, Antonio Richichi is a tourist who resides in the USA in Tarrytown, NY.
Could this be your ancestor?
Line 17
https://i.postimg.cc/ZqyXG8c0/Richichi1955.jpg
T.
Can you tell us where in the USA they settled? Maybe we can trace backwards to find some information for you.
What are the other children's names?
Years of birth for Antonio and for Caterina?
On this arrival manifest for 1955, Antonio Richichi is a tourist who resides in the USA in Tarrytown, NY.
Could this be your ancestor?
Line 17
https://i.postimg.cc/ZqyXG8c0/Richichi1955.jpg
T.
