I have an interesting death record to interpret.
The handwriting is clear and the translation is straight forward. It's the facts that are confusing, and inconsistent with the birth record. One thing I've learned, inconsistencies need to be closely examined, and not brushed off as "oh, they made a mistake".
First the deceased's name in the margin is Spirito Cantoia, and yet entered as Spirito Castaldi in the text ("morto Castaldi Spirito di anni dieci"). The second inconsistency is his age, 10 years old. Note that the father is "Carlo".
I have a Feb-1876 birth record for Spirito Cantoia that matches most of the facts: parents, father's age and home address. If it's the same Spirito, that would make him 5 years old in 1881.
Declarers in this record match family names for Spirito Cantoia: Carlo Cantoia (age 47), his father, and Giovanni Battista Castaldi (age 66), his maternal grandfather.
Looking for your insights. Grazie,
-Ken

