Since many of the board members have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation for their work and expertise, I think it would make this board a richer experience if there was a place to comment on the work of the professionals that are here "for-hire".
Seems like fair game, especially since this forum is a source for clients for many who post here. (I have personally hired and and commented on the work product that I have contracted for on occasion.)
Wonder what the reaction to this would be. Seems like it would be a productive endeavor....think a free genealogy "Angie's List". On one hand, it would provide reassurance to newbies who are contemplating making a hire...and help to lead them to the right person, on another it could open a door to unsubstantiated complaints....but after all, it is a blog.
Feedback for professional work
- TerraLavoro
- Elite

- Posts: 398
- Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
- Location: California
Feedback for professional work
TerraLavoro
Re: Feedback for professional work
Of a less specific nature, one thing I'd be interested in seeing is people's experiences regarding the time between first contact and obtaining a quote. Or, alternately, between establishing the scope of work and a first report on findings.
Latest LDS "road map" post for Gioiosa Marea, Cefalù, Termini Imerese and Villaurea at
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 3?#p260342
-
kencwalker
- Veteran

- Posts: 193
- Joined: 07 May 2016, 18:30
- Location: Dallas, TX
Re: Feedback for professional work
TerraLavoro, I don't know if "many of us have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation". However, it's an interesting proposal. You captured the challenge: "could open a door to unsubstantiated complaints." What you're talking about is more than a blog. It's more like Ebay's buyer/seller feedback. Negative feedback can be very damaging to a seller (way more than positive feedback is helpful).TerraLavoro wrote:Since many of the board members have either hired professional genealogists or are themselves seeking compensation for their work and expertise, I think it would make this board a richer experience if there was a place to comment on the work of the professionals that are here "for-hire".
Wonder what the reaction to this would be.
My thoughts:
Several members contribute HOURS of their time as a service to the group. We are all better researchers from their advice. I'd hate to see their reputations sullied by negative feedback from a newbie rant. So, the forum owners should move carefully and deliberately.
That said, it could work with some guidelines (like Ebay has for dealing with disputes):
1) It should be a separate forum.
2) "Professional members" should have the option to allow feedback on their services (or not).
3) If a post turns into a shouting match, a moderator can "lock" the topic.
4) If a post contains unsubstantiated complaints, a member can ask that it be deleted (after a moderator reviews both sides of the situation).
And, I'd pay some $$$ to someone if they can find Carlo Cantoia in the 1920 Census.
(Heck, I might pay if they can find him in the 1930 census - that was a HARD search!)
Those are my initial thoughts.
Regards,
-Ken
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.