Notes from 1823

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Post Reply
User avatar
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 24 Jan 2008, 13:27

Notes from 1823

Post by Falcieri »

A challenge from anyone who is interested. These are hand written notes by my g-g-g-grandfather from 1823. It's a sample page 1 of 5. If anyone is able to translate this I would be grateful. The other pages are similar, however, I think posting one will give an idea how difficult this might be. Thank you in advance! Claudia
Attachments
Tita letter 1823 page 1 ADD MS 46879 ff 4b 48.jpg
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by mmogno »

Can you post the other 4?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Is this your g-g-g-grandfather's handwriting?
I can't get all the words but to me it “seems to be” an affidavit, signed in England – I see a British stamp there and I also see the word “angletera”(Fr?) - England. Basically, I understand that it is confirming that Gio(vanni) Battista Falciari worked as a domestic for the Noble (Nobil(e)) Lor(d) Biron, (pari – like) of England. Then it is signed by his lawyer and protector (avocato e protet(t)ore).

Someone might be able to edit or build from this. Adding the other pages like mmogno has mentioned might be helpful. It seems to me though, that it is not the first page, it is an item of its own?
Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:...the Noble (Nobil(e)) Lor(d) Biron, (pari – like) of England.
PARI d'Inghilterra. - La Camera alta del parlamento britannico (House of the Lords) è costituita dai pari del regno......
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:...the Noble (Nobil(e)) Lor(d) Biron, (pari – like) of England.
PARI d'Inghilterra. - La Camera alta del parlamento britannico (House of the Lords) è costituita dai pari del regno......
Thank you.

I found this. The same Lord Biron?: http://spartacus-educational.com/PRbyron.htm

Angela
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by mmogno »

Gio(vanni) Battista
Falcier detto
Can?, domestico
del Nobil Bar(one)?
Byron pari
di Angletera
daga? sanbeli?
suo avocato e
protetor

"quando [Byron] muore in Grecia nel 1824, accanto al letto gli è vicino Giovanni Battista Falcier, il gondoliere preferito"

pag 79 left, bottom
http://www.fondazionevenezia2000.org/IM ... ve2011.pdf
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

When I looked at this yesterday I basically read the same words that mmogno has written here except for:

Gio(vanni) Battista
Falcier detto
Con? (I can see it is probably "Can"), domestico
del Nobil Lor(d)
Biron pari
di Angletera
Lega? (Olegario?)  sanbeli
suo avocato e
protetor

I think that mmogno's makes better sense.
Angela
User avatar
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 24 Jan 2008, 13:27

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by Falcieri »

Thank you everyone for your translations. I am lead to believe that these notes were written by Falcieri who is my g-g-g-grandfather but I am not so sure. I think they were written by Byron's accountant Lega Zambelli. I may be wrong but your translations suggest it may be so though the writing does look like Falcieri's.

Falcieri was part of Lord Byron's household. If these documents are from 1823 then I think they are account books listing staff and goods etc. The other pages may help to clarify this. Some of the words that may not make sense are probably names. Gamba, Zambelli, Fletcher (sometimes Flegor) and others.

Huge thanks everyone for your work. I appreciate these are not easy to translate and your help is much appreciated. I will attach the other four pages below. I'm not sure of the order.
Attachments
Tita letter 1823 page 4 ADD MS 46879 ff 4b 480002.jpg
Tita letter 1823 page 3 ADD MS 46879 ff 4b 48.jpg
Tita letter 1823 page 2 ADD MS 46879 ff 4b 48.jpg
User avatar
Falcieri
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 45
Joined: 24 Jan 2008, 13:27

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by Falcieri »

And the last one.
Attachments
Tita letter 1823 page 5 ADD MS 46879 ff 4b 48.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master
Posts: 8078
Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54

Re: Notes from 1823

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Falcieri wrote:Thank you everyone for your translations. I am lead to believe that these notes were written by Falcieri who is my g-g-g-grandfather but I am not so sure. I think they were written by Byron's accountant Lega Zambelli. I may be wrong but your translations suggest it may be so though the writing does look like Falcieri's.

Falcieri was part of Lord Byron's household. If these documents are from 1823 then I think they are account books listing staff and goods etc. The other pages may help to clarify this. Some of the words that may not make sense are probably names. Gamba, Zambelli, Fletcher (sometimes Flegor) and others.

Huge thanks everyone for your work. I appreciate these are not easy to translate and your help is much appreciated. I will attach the other four pages below. I'm not sure of the order.
Unless Falcieri wrote up the affidavit and then got Lega Zambelli to sign it? What intrigued me on the first note you posted was that I could see that there was some sort of maths formula written there in the background and wasn't sure why it was there. (A code maybe......? Now that you've explained that Zambelli was an accountant, it makes better sense, I guess.)

Thank you for coming back to the forum - happy to help. I shall continue to watch with interest.

Angela
Post Reply