Ancestor Surname Spelling Dilemma

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
nfanuele
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Jul 2016, 23:34

Ancestor Surname Spelling Dilemma

Post by nfanuele »

Hello,

I am applying for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis through my maternal grandmother's paternal grandfather (Me; M; GM; GGF; GGGF). I originally believed my grandmother's maiden name was VOCCIO, but when I acquired my GGF's birth and marriage certificates in Italy, his surname was listed as VOCCIA. However, on his death certificate issued in Rhode Island, his surname is VOCCIO, so I am planning on ammending his death certificate to match his birth name.

My dilemma starts with his son, Vito, who was born in Philadelphia in 1897. I could not find his birth certificate at the city archives, but I recently somehow tracked down his baptism record at a church in Philadelphia. The woman who works in the rectory believes his last surname is listed as VOCCIO, but I am unsure on which route to take. The church is very flexibe with the spellings of his name and his parents. Also, I will have to acquire a delayed birth certificate from Pennsylvania and I am unsure as to which spelling I should request. Should I request VOCCIO or VOCCIA? If I list his surname as VOCCIO, I wouldn't have to ammend his marriage and death certificate as well as his daughter's (my grandmother) vital records. But would the Boston consulate accept a variant name spelling between my GG parents and their son? On the other hand, if I choose VOCCIA, I will have to ammend many more vital records. (although all ammendments would be done in Providence which is 10 minutes from where I live).

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Nick
JessicaBR
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 05 Dec 2016, 12:52

Re: Ancestor Surname Spelling Dilemma

Post by JessicaBR »

Hi Nick,

With ius sanguinis the last names must match the original spelling as it was recorded in Italy. Perhaps find a few more vital records from Italy to see if the Voccia spelling is consistent before you amend.

Jessica
nfanuele
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 23
Joined: 28 Jul 2016, 23:34

Re: Ancestor Surname Spelling Dilemma

Post by nfanuele »

Hi Jessica,

Thanks for the advice. I will choose Voccia and amend all the documents.

Thanks Again!
Nick
Post Reply