Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

Yes Jerry,
you are right, but from 1846 to 1852 just 1 Lucia Bavuso, and I posted the Birth record... however are a Rosa Lucia Bavuso born in Gallicchio on 8 Jul 1852 daughter of Giuseppe Antonio Bavuso and Leonarda De Luca...

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... =132563236
what you think... or, maybe, the her age on Pierluigi Birth record is wrong...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Suanj,
I'm thinking that her age was incorrect on the birth record as I have found a Lucia Maria Bavuso in 1845 in Gallicchio. What I find strange is that in the index it states her name as Lucia Maria Bavuso, but in the birth record itself it has Luvia Maria Cascino (or Cassino?). The parents listed are Giuseppe Bavuso and Concetta Cascino (Cassino?). Below are the links, I'd like to hear what you think.

Index
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

Page 1
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

Page 2
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you,
Jerry
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Please note, I may be looking at the birth record incorrectly as I do not speak Italian (unfortunately). So I could have the parents incorrect.

Regards,
Jerry
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

JBenzie wrote:Suanj,
I'm thinking that her age was incorrect on the birth record as I have found a Lucia Maria Bavuso in 1845 in Gallicchio. What I find strange is that in the index it states her name as Lucia Maria Bavuso, but in the birth record itself it has Luvia Maria Cascino (or Cassino?). The parents listed are Giuseppe Bavuso and Concetta Cascino (Cassino?). Below are the links, I'd like to hear what you think.

Index
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html

Page 1
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 1.jpg.html

Page 2
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you,
Jerry
Hi Jerry,
I don't know if it is the right Lucia, born on 21 Jun 1845... on 1886 she was 41 old abt... however the her name is Lucia Maria Bavuso daughter of Giuseppe Bavuso and Concetta Cascino (hoping right), and on the baptism note at bottom the priest wrote her surname wrong, making confusion with the her mother maiden name... no problem on the Birth and index no problem, just the priest wrote the wrong surname...
on Pierluigi Birth act she stated to be 36 old... maybe this record could be abt right Lucia...
Best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Suanj,
I'm beginning to think that the Lucia in my above post is not the correct Lucia Bavuso. I have found a marriage record for Lucia Maria Bavuso, age 19 (which corresponds with the one in my last mentioned birth record), and Pietro Vincenzo Montesano, age 42, in the year 1864.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

This would've been 24 years before my GGF was born. I doubt Lucia would've used her maiden name, Bavuso, in Pierluigi Benso's birth record 24 years later unless she was divorced at the time of his birth? I may investigate the Rosa Lucia Bavuso you mentioned in a previous post and see where that leads. Any thoughts on my theory?
Thanks,
Jerry
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Would someone be so kind as to translate this birth record? It's for Rosa Bavusi in 1871, daughter of Lucia Bavusi, daughter of deceased Giuseppe. I'm thinking that the Lucia Bavusi could be the Lucia Bavuso that I'm searching for. I can't quite make everything out and was curious as to whether it lists a father's name?

Thank you,
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

Hi,
this Lucia Bavusi is the Lucia Maria Bavuso born on 1845 that you found, she was unmarried, 27 old... I believe she could be also the mother of Pierluigi Benso( the her age is a bit different, but matching enough) just she don't recognized it on the Birth record, but I believe that is the right Lucia matching with the birthrecord that you found....
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
tuscany
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 16 Nov 2016, 21:39

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by tuscany »

Felix Rosaia
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Regarding Pierluigi Benso, why do you think he was given the surname Benso? Could she have known who the father was and gave him his surname or was it a random surname given to him since his father was unknown? I've done a small amount of research on "foundlings" in that time period and it seems the surnames given mostly reflected the fact that they were abandoned. Benso doesn't seem to have been a very common surname in that region, so it makes me wonder why that name was given to him.

Jerry
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

Dear Jerry,
the surname given to a "foundling" is always a fantasy surname and I remember a law of 1810s (if I remember well) that the given surname cannot have similarity with person's surname identifiable related in some way with child, and just the clerk can give the surname, no others... sometimes the biological mother put a ticket saying " this child is named......" and following the name that she wanted but in these case, she don't claimed to raise the child .. and this escamotage was just to remember who was the child and so she recognize him among the people..

Really the clerk, normally chose the surname according to his own imagination... and "Benso" ( but it is just a my supposition) I believe he took inspiration from the name of a great Italian statesman, of Piedmont region, Camillo Benso, count of Cavour (1810-1861)...
Best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

Interesting. Thanks for the info and for all of your help. It is very much appreciated!
Jerry
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

happy to help!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
JBenzie
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 01 Mar 2012, 18:18
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by JBenzie »

suanj,

Would you please translate this for me? I know it is for the Lucia Bavuso that is the subject of much of my discussion here, born in 1845. I'm curious what it says after it mentions her parents and that she was a spinner and lived in Gallicchio. I can't make out the work, it looks a bit like "inabile", which translates to "unfit", but I may not be correct. This is typically where I see information regarding spouse and children, so if it does, in fact, say "unfit"..why would this be?

Regards,
Jerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Looking for family info/Italian relatives...

Post by suanj »

Hi, just the basic data:

Lucia Maria Bavuso 79 old, spinner, single ( nubile= single) born and resident in Gallicchio, daughter of lat4e Giuseppe and of late Concett Cascino, died at home in 24 Savoia st, Gallicchio, on 12 Oct 1924.

but she was married to Pietro Vincenzo Montesano, so I don't understand why the clerk wrote "single"... however seeming the same woman that raised Pierluigi...
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply