Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: 11 Feb 2014, 10:11

Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by Liberati »

I could use some help in trying to trace my Liberati lineage in Italy. My great-grandfather Eduardo "Edward" Liberati was born April 30, 1895 in (I believe) San Lorenzo, Italy - the one in L'Aquila province. He immigrated to the U.S. prior to World War I and lived in Niles, Ohio, where he died in February 1974. His siblings were: Luigi "Louis" Liberati (born in 1885 in L'Aquila - he lived in New Mexico from about 1913 to 1925 and then moved back to Rome, where he died in 1969), Judith Delphini, and Rosa (I don't know Rosa's married name - my relatives just referred to her as "Zia Rose."

My great-great-grandfather was Pietro Liberati, who I suppose was also from San Lorenzo. I don't have a birth year but he died on June 24, 1902 in San Lorenzo. His wife was named Pasqua Delfini. I don't have a birth year for her, either, but she also died in San Lorenzo on October 13, 1914.

Any information you could provide on any of these people would be much appreciated - thanks!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I found this record:


Edwardo Liberati

United States World War I Draft Registration Cards

Name Edwardo Liberati
Event Type Draft Registration
Event Date 1917-1918
Event Place Trumball County no 2, Ohio, United States
Gender Male
Nationality Italy
Birth Date 30 Apr 1895
Birthplace Matricia, Aquila, Italy

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530
I believe he referred to AMATRICE town, that was in L'Aquila province until 1927... Currently Amatrice is in Rieti province... But maybe I am wrong...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

the arrival, the name is mispelled, but seeming right person:


Eduardo Liberute

New York Passenger Arrival Lists (Ellis Island)

Given Name Eduardo
Surname Liberute (LIBERATI)
Last Place of Residence Amatrice, Italy
Event Date 09 Sep 1913
Age 18y
Nationality Italy, Italian South
Departure Port Naples
Arrival Port New York
Gender Male
Marital Status S
Ship Name Verona
born in Amatrice, last residence Amatrice, no one in Amatrice, going to brother Luigi in Pennsylvania, USA
pag 1 http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
pag 2 http://www.libertyellisfoundation.org/s ... cGciOw==/1
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

I am correct abt Amatrice!
Here Pietro Liberati Death record:


Pietro Liberati

Italy, Rieti, Civil Registration (State Archive)

Name Pietro Liberati
Event Type Death
Event Date 24 Jun 1903
Event Place Amatrice, Rieti, Italy
Gender Male
Age 52
Birth Year (Estimated) 1851
Birthplace SS. Lorenzo E Flaviano
Father's Name Luigi
Mother's Name Rosa Pandolfi
Spouse's Name Pasqua Boni
Spouse's Gender Female
Certificate Number 89

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html
click to enlarge
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Pasqua:


Pasqua Boni

Italy, Rieti, Civil Registration (State Archive)


Name Pasqua Boni
Event Type Death
Event Date 16 Oct 1912
Event Place Amatrice, Rieti, Italy
Gender Female
Age 55
Birth Year (Estimated) 1857
Birthplace SS Lorenzo E Fo
Father's Name Filippo
Mother's Name Francesca Salvi
Spouse's Name Pietro Liberati
Spouse's Gender Male
Certificate Number 110

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html
I read Delfini surname as witness but I don't know why you think that Delfini was her maiden name..
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: 11 Feb 2014, 10:11

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by Liberati »

suanj wrote: 20 Jan 2017, 18:08 Pasqua:


Pasqua Boni

Italy, Rieti, Civil Registration (State Archive)


Name Pasqua Boni
Event Type Death
Event Date 16 Oct 1912
Event Place Amatrice, Rieti, Italy
Gender Female
Age 55
Birth Year (Estimated) 1857
Birthplace SS Lorenzo E Fo
Father's Name Filippo
Mother's Name Francesca Salvi
Spouse's Name Pietro Liberati
Spouse's Gender Male
Certificate Number 110

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 8.jpg.html
I read Delfini surname as witness but I don't know why you think that Delfini was her maiden name..
best regards,
suanj
Suanj,

Thank you so much for your help! These are definitely my Liberatis and you have opened up several new familial lines for me through your efforts - thanks again! Regarding the Delfini surname, I was just going off what was written down by my late grandfather in some family history documents. He could have written the wrong name down or was just never told the correct information in the first place. I am told that my great-grandfather Edward Liberati never spoke much about his Italian ancestry (he was too busy trying to make a life for himself and his family in America), so I think a lot of this information had been lost. That's why I especially appreciate your help! I now wonder whether Edward's father (Pietro Liberati) had any siblings? Would there be any way to determine that from the existing records? Thanks again!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Hi,
happy to help you!
Abt Pietro, I found that he had 1 sister; here the her Death record:


Elisabetta Liberati 79 old

Italy, Rieti, Civil Registration (State Archive)

Name Elisabetta Liberati
Event Type Death
Event Date 09 Feb 1932
Event Place Amatrice, Rieti, Italy
Gender Female
Age 79
Birth Year (Estimated) 1853
Birthplace Santi Lorenzo e Flaviano
Father's Name Luigi
Mother's Name Rosa Pandolfi
Spouse's Name Antonio Salvi
Spouse's Gender Male
Certificate Number 13
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Eduardo sister:

Rosa Liberati

Italy, Rieti, Civil Registration (State Archive)

Name Rosa Liberati
Event Type Birth
Event Date 02 Jul 1901
Event Place Amatrice, Rieti, Italy
Gender Female
Father's Name Pietro Liberati
Mother's Name Pasqua Boni
Certificate Number 193
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 2.jpg.html
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

it is possible that they had some other child, but the civil records online of Amatrice starting from 1901..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Liberati
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 68
Joined: 11 Feb 2014, 10:11

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by Liberati »

Wow! It's great to see the birth certificate of Zia Rose (as we refer to her in my family). She was quite the heroine during World War II as she risked her life to help downed Allied pilots and escaped prisoners of war hide and then make it back to the safety of Allied lines. She knew that two of her nephews (my grandfather and my granduncle) were serving in the U.S. Armed Forces and she wanted to help the Allied cause in any way that she could. Anyways, I've always wondered what the name of her husband was. He was supposedly seriously wounded while serving in World War I and spent the rest of his life as an invalid under Zia Rose's care. If you have any suggestions for tracking him down, I'd be most appreciative. Tragically, Zia Rose died in an automobile accident in the early 1970s.

Also, I was thrilled to learn of Elisabetta Liberati - she would be my great-great-grand aunt! Thanks again for all of your help!
Interested in the surnames Liberati, Altiero, and Gulfo. Also interested in Italy during World War II.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Need Help Tracing my Liberati Ancestors

Post by suanj »

Wonderful story! Thanks for sharing it with us!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply