Deleo Family Information
Deleo Family Information
My great grandparents, Frank and Mary Deleo, were married in Italy and came to the United States some time between 1900-1929. They ended up living in New York, where they had their six children. I have my great grandparents' birthdates, but I am not sure where in Italy they were born. Any suggestions on search engines I can use to find more information on them? Thank you!
Re: Deleo Family Information
Welcome to IG website where in NY did they settle and the year they were born ?
Marty
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Deleo Family Information
Names of their children would also helpadelfio wrote: 15 Mar 2017, 14:09 Welcome to IG website where in NY did they settle and the year they were born ?
Marty
T.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Deleo Family Information
There are tips on finding the town of origin on my website
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Deleo Family Information
Thank you for your reply!
Frank Deleo (born November 27 1892 in Italy, died December 10 1970 in Hempstead, New York) married Mary Laviera (born December 22 1905 in Italy, died December 13 1987 in the United States). We believe they were married in Italy and came over through Ellis Island before having their children. Their kids are Angeline (born 1929), Theresa (1930), Louis (1932), Viola (1933), Dorothy (1936), and John Deleo (1948). They lived in Manhattan, New York in 1935 and 1940, I can't seem to find any information of their residence before these dates. Thank you for your help!
Frank Deleo (born November 27 1892 in Italy, died December 10 1970 in Hempstead, New York) married Mary Laviera (born December 22 1905 in Italy, died December 13 1987 in the United States). We believe they were married in Italy and came over through Ellis Island before having their children. Their kids are Angeline (born 1929), Theresa (1930), Louis (1932), Viola (1933), Dorothy (1936), and John Deleo (1948). They lived in Manhattan, New York in 1935 and 1940, I can't seem to find any information of their residence before these dates. Thank you for your help!
Re: Deleo Family Information
I found a WWII Registration card that has Frank Deleo's "place of birth", but I can't figure out what it says. Is there a way to post a photo? It looks like Veulizzi or Verrlizzi Italy?
-
truesearch
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 23 Jul 2016, 04:45
Re: Deleo Family Information
The 1930 U.S. Census mistakenly lists their last name as "DeLea." It indicates that Frank DeLeo and Mary Laviera married in 1928. The census states that Mary was born in New York (the 1940 census and her Social Security application also state this). This means that they probably married in New York.
Her Social Security application listed her parents as "Louis Laviera" and "Theresa Libonata."
I will continue to hunt for more information!
Her Social Security application listed her parents as "Louis Laviera" and "Theresa Libonata."
I will continue to hunt for more information!
Re: Deleo Family Information
I located the WWII Registration card for Frank De Leo - and it gives his birthplace... BUT... not making any sense of it. He gives his birthdate as 27 November 1892 (as you stated), and his birth place as "Venlizzi" Italy.
I think his place of birth is TERLIZZI
https://postimg.org/image/cuvkn3vbz/
Also found a Philadelphia arrival for Maria Laviero, age 15, last residence Craco (Matera, Basilicata), but US born. Joining her mother Maria Libonati in New York.
Last line of manifest (SS America, from Naples, 18 Feb 1921)
https://postimg.org/image/cuvkn3vbz/
EDIT TO ADD***
Here is the birth Act of Francesco De Leo, born in Terlizzi on 27 November 1892
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
T.
I think his place of birth is TERLIZZI
https://postimg.org/image/cuvkn3vbz/
Also found a Philadelphia arrival for Maria Laviero, age 15, last residence Craco (Matera, Basilicata), but US born. Joining her mother Maria Libonati in New York.
Last line of manifest (SS America, from Naples, 18 Feb 1921)
https://postimg.org/image/cuvkn3vbz/
EDIT TO ADD***
Here is the birth Act of Francesco De Leo, born in Terlizzi on 27 November 1892
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
T.
-
truesearch
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 23 Jul 2016, 04:45
Re: Deleo Family Information
The comune is Terlizzi (in the province of Bari). I was able to find his birth registered in Terlizzi's ten-year indexes. Here is the link to the image (from FamilySearch):
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043450
The listing is close to the bottom of the page on the right. It states that he was born on November 27, 1892. His father's name was Gaetano De Leo. Within Terlizzi's birth records for 1892, his record is #821.
After this, I went to Antenati to search for the copy of his actual birth record. Here is the link to the image of Francesco's birth record (record #821): http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html
The record states that his parents were named Gaetano De Leo (born about 1842) and Angela Amorosini (daughter of the late Michele Amorosini). Francesco was born on November 27, 1892 in Terlizzi (on Via Santa Maria in house #9).
There is a note on his birth record. I'm not 100% sure about what it says. Can someone else translate this notation?
If you have any questions, please let me know!
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043450
The listing is close to the bottom of the page on the right. It states that he was born on November 27, 1892. His father's name was Gaetano De Leo. Within Terlizzi's birth records for 1892, his record is #821.
After this, I went to Antenati to search for the copy of his actual birth record. Here is the link to the image of Francesco's birth record (record #821): http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 3.jpg.html
The record states that his parents were named Gaetano De Leo (born about 1842) and Angela Amorosini (daughter of the late Michele Amorosini). Francesco was born on November 27, 1892 in Terlizzi (on Via Santa Maria in house #9).
There is a note on his birth record. I'm not 100% sure about what it says. Can someone else translate this notation?
If you have any questions, please let me know!
Re: Deleo Family Information
My Mom says that her grandpa (Frank DeLeo) was born in Bari, so all this information seems to be matching perfectly, thank you so much!! Anyone able to read Italian? I'm really curious what the translation is as well! 