Where to start?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Where to start?

Post by vj »

Mike, a lot of us have noticed common addresses in our own research.
(I have a 801 Webster in Pitts popping up a lot on manifests)
One of our experts suggested it was the address of a 'sponsor' who helped countrymen get a start here.
Nuccia has hit on something on both manifests for Salvatore Piacentini
he may be going to see the same person:
1906 cousin Michele GUERINO? on 34 or 24 Mulberry NY, NY
1922 friend Tomassi GUERINO in Bedford Hills, Westchester, NY

vj
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

You folks are amazing with this.
I was actually named by mother with nobody else in mind :}
I am relaying this info to my family as I get it and they are shocked.
I even found some awesome photos online of the ss Patria which they came on.
Now as far as Bedford goes, that is where my Grandfather went to school so it makes sense that they started there where they had friends and maybe some family.

Thank you all so much!

Michael Piacentini
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by nuccia »

edit
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by mfjp »

michaelPiacentini wrote:You folks are amazing with this.
I was actually named by mother with nobody else in mind :}
I am relaying this info to my family as I get it and they are shocked.
I even found some awesome photos online of the ss Patria which they came on.
Now as far as Bedford goes, that is where my Grandfather went to school so it makes sense that they started there where they had friends and maybe some family.

Thank you all so much!

Michael Piacentini
Aha!!! Everytime you post... you've added some info which helps... one being the ships name... S.S. Patria... will be checking Ancestry.com for Patria passengers... I may need help with this... as this is a long process.

As you know... Ellis Island records on-line are from 1892 -1924

These are all the people from Strangolagalli(e) (exact spelling) who travelled on the Patria... (just in case year 1929 is not correct... but I can tell you are sure...) :wink:

1 Cervini,Luigi Strangolagalle, Italy 1922 23 1899
2 Vellis,G. Battista De Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 17 1903
3 Edelvar,Lorn Strangolagalli, Italy 1921 24 1897
4 Lisi,Francesca Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 11 1909
5 Lisi,Giuseppa Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 37 1883
6 Lisi,Silvia Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 8 1912
7 Malandruccolo,Luisa Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 29 1891
8 Niselli,Giovanni Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 34 1886
9 Piacentino,Salvatore Strangolagalle, Italy 1922 37 1885
10 Querqui,Domenico Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 25 1895
11 Sementille,Vincenzo Strangolagalle, Italy 1922 26 1896
12 Sementilli,Vincenzo Strangolagalli, Rome, Italy 1922 35
13 Sorge,Giuseppe Strangolagalle, Italy 1922 32 1890
14 Tomassi,Elisa Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 13 1907
15 Viselli,Domenico Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 20 1900
16 Viselli,Paolo Strangolagalli, Italy 1920 34 1886

As Valarie mentioned... there is that 2 weeks free trial with Ancestry.com...

Are you familiar with the Family History Centers? www.familysearch.org
I can post further info about these research centers if you wish... some centers have computers with FREE use of Ancestry.com... all you would have to do is phone them and see what they have computers available.. and whether you have to book a computer or not...

I'm in Toronto... and my center has a few computers.. first come -first serve...

The name is "Vallecoccia"... for sure!
maria

p.s. further edit...

My search on the Patria did not incude Stangolagalli spelled this way... (and I'm sure there are more variations on the Ellis database.....)

Stanyolagalli
Strangologalli
Stranzolagall

:roll:
vj
Master
Master
Posts: 8066
Joined: 16 Aug 2002, 00:00

Re: Where to start?

Post by vj »

Mike,
From what I understand, finding your 1929 manifest probably can't be done online?
I'm listing a gov't link for you and the list of Patria arrivals for 1929.

Where to find Immigration Records Port of New York after 1924
http://www.archives.gov/genealogy/immigration/

SS Patria Arrivals Port of New York 1929
2/13/1929 Patria Fabre Line Portugal Piraeus Lisbon Marseilles Palermo Constantinople New York
5/6/1929 Patria Fabre Line Portugal Piraeus Lisbon Marseilles Palermo Constantinople New York
7/25/1929 Patria Fabre Line Portugal Piraeus Lisbon Marseilles Palermo Constantinople New York
9/16/1929 Patria Fabre Line Portugal Piraeus Lisbon Marseilles Palermo Constantinople New York
11/27/1929 Patria Fabre Line Portugal Piraeus Lisbon Marseilles Palermo Constantinople New York

OK? Valarie
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

After reviewing the manifest from the Venezia on may 12 1909 I found another entry for Antonio Vallecoccia who was visiting a cousin Pasquale.
Just below that is my Great Grandfather Salvatore also visiting his cousin Pasquale. He was only 24 at the time and my grandfather wasn't born for another 11 years. Looks like Carolina was left behind on this one.
Now on line 7 is Pietro Sementilli who might be the great grandfather of a friend of mine named Vinny Sementilli.
It's funny how mine and my wife's grandfathers took the same voyage, all ended up in BPT CT along with my friend Vinnie's GF and now it might be his great gf traveling with my great gf.
We know that our GF's went to grade school together in Strangolagalli.
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

Now in 1922 manifest that you posted from Patria, there is Vincenzo Sementilli right above my GGF and it lists Fillipo as his father.
That confirms for us that almost 100 years ago, my GGF traveled with Pietro and Vincenzo Sementilli
Also in 1909 there is another Sementilli on line 13 who's name I can't make out.
User avatar
mfjp
Master
Master
Posts: 2211
Joined: 13 Aug 2004, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by mfjp »

michaelPiacentini wrote:Now in 1922 manifest that you posted from Patria, there is Vincenzo Sementilli right above my GGF and it lists Fillipo as his father.
That confirms for us that almost 100 years ago, my GGF traveled with Pietro and Vincenzo Sementilli
Also in 1909 there is another Sementilli on line 13 who's name I can't make out.
Keeping busy eh??? :P

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0691%2ETIF

Sementilli GBattista... (Giovanni Battista) who leaves a wife in Italy by the name of... Angela Giovanazzo?

But Giovanelli is more common in Strangolo......

and now I can't log on to the Ellis site.... : :?
mfjp
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

Just found out that the last name was Guarino on those manifests. Spoke to my father and when I mentioned the name it jarred some memories.
There are still a few left here and in NY.
Something that has disturbed me is the find of a death record of a Isidoro Vallecoccia in 1985 here in BPT CT. Not sure if she was related but appears that she was born here in the US in 1928 in NY
One other odd thing I found was that Antonio Guarino in 1909 came on the Regina d Italia on Mar28 1909 and he died in June of that year at the age of 27. He must've died in a accident??
Also, somebody asked about my grandmother's last name. It was Sansavero.
She had 2 cousins who missed a ship in the late 1920's that ended up sinking . Already forgot the name. Something D'Andrea??
Albert and Andrew Cimino were there names, luckily they missed that ship.

I couldn't find out who Isidoro's parents are, but I'm betting either Pasquale or Antonio was her father.
I have now made myself the promise to someday get to Strangogalli. I hear not much has changed there to this day and I hope to see where my Grandparents lived.
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

Just thought I'd report where my research has ended up. I found out from my aunt that my Great GF Salvatore actually made 11 trips to the us but only 3 using his own name. He used the name of somebody who was deceased the other times.
Why would somebody use an alias? Was he a criminal? A limit on US visits?
Also, the Guarino's in Bedford Falls NY were the people who adopted him back in Italy.

Also, my wife's grandfather Chester Montini who I previously mentioned, passed away this past week. Very sad.

Thanks again for all the great help you folks gave me.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by nuccia »

michaelPiacentini,

I'm sorry to hear about your wifes grandfather. It's never easy when you lose someone. My thoughts are with you and your family.

Nuccia :cry:
User avatar
michaelPiacentini
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 22 Feb 2006, 00:00
Location: Stratford CT

Re: Where to start?

Post by michaelPiacentini »

Found out why he was using a different name. Was avoiding serving in the Italian Army.
User avatar
gpcnz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by gpcnz »

mfjp wrote:A 1930 census record exists of a Mario Piacentini...

Name: Mario Piacentini
Age: 11
Estimated birth year: abt 1919
Relation to head-of-house: Son
Father's Name: Angelo Piacentini
Mother's Name: Concetta Piacentini
Home in 1930: Manhattan, New York, New York

Siblings are Dante, Vanda, Philip, Vero...

What is odd though... a manifest exists for M. Concetta Covelli who travels with Dante, Elena, Filippo, and Salvatore.. who's husband is Angelo Piacentini... from the town of Esperia...

BUT... I did not see Mario on the list though... the 1930 census record info of this particular family has him born in Italy...

A manifest also exists for Angelo...

If this is the correct family, I could link all this info for you...

mfjp
MFJP
Excellent research. You actually got my family's records instead of the one intended. I was internet surfing and found this excellent post. My dad was Philip (or Filippo on that manifest). There were a few mistakes on the manifest as my Aunt Vanda pointed out. First one being that she was misnamed Elena and her youngest brother at the time (and my Uncle), Mario, was called Salvatore. I never knew my grandpa, Angelo as he died before I was born. My Grandma, Concetta passed on in 1973. My dad passed away in 1983. His brothers (Mario & Dante) passed away in 1990 and 1998. My Aunt Vanda is the only surviving member on that manifest even though another brother, Vero was born in the US and resides in the US
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by wldspirit »

Excellent research. You actually got my family's records instead of the one intended
Well, not the first time that has happened........but a bonus for you!!!
It can be sometimes hard to nail down the right family, however, we have a great team here at ItalianGenealogy so if there is anything further you need in way of info.....just ask. :)
wldspirit
___________________________

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
User avatar
gpcnz
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 13 Dec 2006, 00:00
Location: New York
Contact:

Re: Where to start?

Post by gpcnz »

wldspirit wrote:
Excellent research. You actually got my family's records instead of the one intended
Well, not the first time that has happened........but a bonus for you!!!
It can be sometimes hard to nail down the right family, however, we have a great team here at ItalianGenealogy so if there is anything further you need in way of info.....just ask. :)
wldspirit
As a matter of fact, widspirit, I do have another quest. This time on mother's side. I am trying to find the records of her father (Ruggiero Abbatemarco) from the town of Palazzo San Gervasio. Her mother's name was Magdalena.
Thanks
Post Reply