Salvatore Pino
Re: Salvatore Pino
Wow! Where to begin?
Ok, so I have an email in to the Vital Statistics office in Nova Scotia. According to the date of death for Anna, her death certificate should also be online and available for purchase. Unfortunately, it is not. As you've seen there are only two adult and one infant death listed online. Let's see what they come back with.
All the other information including crossing and passenger info appears to be for them. The census may be for them, but of course the location of birth was in Canada not the US. Americo may have been listed as "Merrick" and Antonio is my Uncle Tony - who I thought before was Anthony.
Tessa,
You said it looked like the word "joiner", but since it is a date, I think it reads "Janvier" which is January in French. When I do indexing for Family Search, I find most Canadian documents are logged in French.
Biff,
I have a world explorer ancestry membership so please let me know if I can ever be of assistance in locating or sharing records. It's the least I can do to say "thank you" for all of your help with this research!! I can translate French, but that's the extent of my talents...
Did either of you happen to figure out that random location on the marriage certificate? Galat-Lucano I think it was. I searched high and low on Google Earth and came up with exactly no leads.
Oh and any ideas on how I could ever find my great grandparents names or is that something I will never expect to find out? I just don't want to waste time there if I have no hope of finding out. Thank you again for everything - you two are amazing search angels!!
Ok, so I have an email in to the Vital Statistics office in Nova Scotia. According to the date of death for Anna, her death certificate should also be online and available for purchase. Unfortunately, it is not. As you've seen there are only two adult and one infant death listed online. Let's see what they come back with.
All the other information including crossing and passenger info appears to be for them. The census may be for them, but of course the location of birth was in Canada not the US. Americo may have been listed as "Merrick" and Antonio is my Uncle Tony - who I thought before was Anthony.
Tessa,
You said it looked like the word "joiner", but since it is a date, I think it reads "Janvier" which is January in French. When I do indexing for Family Search, I find most Canadian documents are logged in French.
Biff,
I have a world explorer ancestry membership so please let me know if I can ever be of assistance in locating or sharing records. It's the least I can do to say "thank you" for all of your help with this research!! I can translate French, but that's the extent of my talents...
Did either of you happen to figure out that random location on the marriage certificate? Galat-Lucano I think it was. I searched high and low on Google Earth and came up with exactly no leads.
Oh and any ideas on how I could ever find my great grandparents names or is that something I will never expect to find out? I just don't want to waste time there if I have no hope of finding out. Thank you again for everything - you two are amazing search angels!!
Re: Salvatore Pino
Hello Tanya,
Glad to have helped you find your ancestors' information.
As to the word on the manifest (this manifest is not written in French
) - I believe it is a town in Nova Scotia - Janvrin. You can see that a similar notation is made for another passenger a few lines down. In that case (where a date should be) it indicates "To husband - and what looks like Mackenzie)
The marriage place may be a location in Tunisia. Many Italians immigrated there in the years before the time of their marriage. I put an inquiry on the LOCATION forum and received a response that it may be a place called Kalaat-Senan (written as Galat-Senan in the Italian record). There is a French connection here.
Here is the link to the information.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... taly/39905
...and trying to find the names of Salvatore's parents would probably be a futile effort.
T.
Glad to have helped you find your ancestors' information.
As to the word on the manifest (this manifest is not written in French
The marriage place may be a location in Tunisia. Many Italians immigrated there in the years before the time of their marriage. I put an inquiry on the LOCATION forum and received a response that it may be a place called Kalaat-Senan (written as Galat-Senan in the Italian record). There is a French connection here.
Here is the link to the information.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... taly/39905
...and trying to find the names of Salvatore's parents would probably be a futile effort.
T.
Re: Salvatore Pino
Tanya,
You're very welcome; happy to have helped. I'm repaying kindnesses shown me when I began my ancestral journey about 10 years ago.
And thank you for indexing records on Family Search.
I agree with T. that trying to locate Salvatore's parents would be fruitless. It might be possible to go back further on the Congiu/Matzuzzi side since we know Anna Maria's grandparents were Giovanni Congiu and Vincenza Pilia and Pietro Mazuzzi and Maria Zicca. There might be information in the Allegati records relative to Anna Maria's parents' Antonio Congiu and Chiara Matzuzzi's 1886 marriage. Also, if Pietro Mazuzzi and Maria Zicca were married between 1866 and 1870 (Chiara was 17 at the time of her marriage, so it is possible), their marriage act and Allegati might be online with the San Vito records. I'll check to see if I can locate anything.
Biff
You're very welcome; happy to have helped. I'm repaying kindnesses shown me when I began my ancestral journey about 10 years ago.
And thank you for indexing records on Family Search.
I agree with T. that trying to locate Salvatore's parents would be fruitless. It might be possible to go back further on the Congiu/Matzuzzi side since we know Anna Maria's grandparents were Giovanni Congiu and Vincenza Pilia and Pietro Mazuzzi and Maria Zicca. There might be information in the Allegati records relative to Anna Maria's parents' Antonio Congiu and Chiara Matzuzzi's 1886 marriage. Also, if Pietro Mazuzzi and Maria Zicca were married between 1866 and 1870 (Chiara was 17 at the time of her marriage, so it is possible), their marriage act and Allegati might be online with the San Vito records. I'll check to see if I can locate anything.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
Chiara Matzuzi's birth act, #69 top right
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
On the 25th of October 1868 in the town hall appeared Pietro Matzuzi, 30, a shepherd, son of the deceased Pasquale, who stated that yesterday? from his wife Maria Zicca was born a female child whom he gave the name Chiara. Note the marriage information in the right margin which verifies their previously posted marriage record.
Biff
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
On the 25th of October 1868 in the town hall appeared Pietro Matzuzi, 30, a shepherd, son of the deceased Pasquale, who stated that yesterday? from his wife Maria Zicca was born a female child whom he gave the name Chiara. Note the marriage information in the right margin which verifies their previously posted marriage record.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
Giovanni Congiu's death #90. Death reported on the 10th but occurred on 9 Dec 1902, 66, a bricklayer?, husband of the Vincenza Pilia, son of ?????? I'm having trouble deciphering his parents' names. HELP!
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
Pietro Marzuzzi's 1903 death record, #20, 65, a farmer, husband of Maria Zicca
Son of Pasquale and and Anna Utzeri
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
Son of Pasquale and and Anna Utzeri
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Salvatore Pino
I'm 99% sure it is Francesco.Biff83 wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 20:50 Giovanni Congiu's death #90. Death reported on the 10th but occurred on 9 Dec 1902, 66, a bricklayer?, husband of the Vincenza Pilia, son of Francesco? (bricklayer) and Apollonia Putzu (massaia - housekeeper) who were both deceased I'm having trouble deciphering his parents' names. HELP!
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
Angela
Re: Salvatore Pino
I do not recall if we posted the Birth Act of Anna Maria Congiu...
Here it is in 1892 - San Vito
#121
Dated 7 November 1892.
Father: Antonio Congiu Pilia (or Antonio Pilia Congiu)?, 27, bricklayer residing in San Vito to declare that at 5:10 PM on the 5th of the current month at the house in Via Baccoi, to Chiara Matzuzzu [daughter of Pietro] his wife residing with him, was born a female child who was presented and to whom was given the name ANNA MARIA
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
T.
Here it is in 1892 - San Vito
#121
Dated 7 November 1892.
Father: Antonio Congiu Pilia (or Antonio Pilia Congiu)?, 27, bricklayer residing in San Vito to declare that at 5:10 PM on the 5th of the current month at the house in Via Baccoi, to Chiara Matzuzzu [daughter of Pietro] his wife residing with him, was born a female child who was presented and to whom was given the name ANNA MARIA
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
T.
Re: Salvatore Pino
Thanks, Angela.
Helo, T.
We didn't post Anna Maria's birth act yet.
I'm trying to locate Vincenza Pilia and Maria Zicca's death acts to take those lines back a generation. Also, we might be able to go back further if we can locate death records of Francesco Congiu and Apollonia Putzu and Pasquale Congiu and Anna Utzeri.
Biff
Helo, T.
We didn't post Anna Maria's birth act yet.
I'm trying to locate Vincenza Pilia and Maria Zicca's death acts to take those lines back a generation. Also, we might be able to go back further if we can locate death records of Francesco Congiu and Apollonia Putzu and Pasquale Congiu and Anna Utzeri.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
I was a bit rushed when I posted this so this is a more extraction.Biff83 wrote: 19 Apr 2017, 21:02 Pietro Marzuzzi's 1903 death record, #20, 65, a farmer, husband of Maria Zicca
Son of Pasquale and and Anna Utzeri
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Biff
Pietro's death was reported on the 13th of April 1903 but occurred on the 12th. He was the son of the deceased Pasquale who was a shepherd and the deceased Anna Utzeri who was a housewife.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
Biff wrote:
I checked backwards from 1910 to 1903, and found a Maria Agostina Zicca, died in 1906 at age 60, but she is listed as "nubile"
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
...and a Vincenza Pilia (checked 1903-1910) who died in 1903 at age 60, but she was the widow of Daniele Sestu.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Looks like these two women may have died after 1910, Biff.
T.
Maria Zicca was living at the time of Pietro Matzuzzu's death --I'm trying to locate Vincenza Pilia and Maria Zicca's death acts to take those lines back a generation. Also, we might be able to go back further if we can locate death records of Francesco Congiu and Apollonia Putzu and Pasquale Congiu and Anna Utzeri.
I checked backwards from 1910 to 1903, and found a Maria Agostina Zicca, died in 1906 at age 60, but she is listed as "nubile"
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
...and a Vincenza Pilia (checked 1903-1910) who died in 1903 at age 60, but she was the widow of Daniele Sestu.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Looks like these two women may have died after 1910, Biff.
T.
Re: Salvatore Pino
Maria Zicca's 1913 death record. #111. Widow of Pietro Matzuzzi
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Death reported on 16 Dec 1913. She died on the 15th, 70 years old, a housewife, daughter of the deceased Efisio? who was a farmer and Maria ? who was a housewife.
Biff
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
Death reported on 16 Dec 1913. She died on the 15th, 70 years old, a housewife, daughter of the deceased Efisio? who was a farmer and Maria ? who was a housewife.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Salvatore Pino
Great, Biff! You found her!
Yes, father looks like Efisio. Mother is Maria Mascia. (Mascia surname found in Cagliari)
T.
Yes, father looks like Efisio. Mother is Maria Mascia. (Mascia surname found in Cagliari)
T.
Re: Salvatore Pino
Thanks, T. for the help with Maria's surname. Tanya's family tree is really growing.
Vincenza Pilia's 1916 death record, #9. Widow of Giovanni Congiu
Death reported on 31 January 1916, death occurred on the 30th
She was 88, a housewife, daughter of the deceased Raimondo who was a shepherd and the deceased Maria Pili? who was a housewife.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
I'm going to backtrack to the earlier death records (1866-1910) to check for Franceso Congiu, Apollonia Putzu, Pasquale Matzuzzi, Anna Utzer, Efisio Zicca, Maria Mascia, Raimondo Pilia and Maria Pili.
I wish my maternal grandparents' records were online like these. Much quicker and cheaper that renting and viewing microfilm.
Biff
Vincenza Pilia's 1916 death record, #9. Widow of Giovanni Congiu
Death reported on 31 January 1916, death occurred on the 30th
She was 88, a housewife, daughter of the deceased Raimondo who was a shepherd and the deceased Maria Pili? who was a housewife.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043426
I'm going to backtrack to the earlier death records (1866-1910) to check for Franceso Congiu, Apollonia Putzu, Pasquale Matzuzzi, Anna Utzer, Efisio Zicca, Maria Mascia, Raimondo Pilia and Maria Pili.
I wish my maternal grandparents' records were online like these. Much quicker and cheaper that renting and viewing microfilm.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
mrsorganguy
- Newbie

- Posts: 1
- Joined: 20 Apr 2017, 00:31
Dotto or Favaro Family
Hi, My name is Jenine.Im searching for relatives from Zero Branco Santo Alberto? Treviso. Valentino Dotto and Albina Favaro who came to Canada in 1914 sailing on the SS Chicago to Ellis Island.Valentino had 3 or 4 brothers, and Albina had sisters and brothers, and an adopted sister.Any information would be wonderful! We had a large family in Canada!