In looking at passenger lists regarding my grandmother Carmela DiBona, it references place of origin as San Donato, Caserta. However, I have always been told by my mother that my Grandmother was from Dan Donato near Frosinone which would be val di Comino. She always referenced san donato being at the foot/on the side of a mountain. That would be val di comino but the official records say Caserta.
Can any one shed any light on this?
My purpose is to determine where to look into my Grandmother's birth certificate. We know who she came over with, Paola Taglianozzi, on Canopic out of Naples on May 25th 1910. She was 12, DOB 2/11/1989(9). Paola was not her mother but was married to her father Sabatino DiBona, also from San Donato, Caserta he came to US on Canopic in 1907.
Thank you for any help
San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
- TerraLavoro
- Elite

- Posts: 398
- Joined: 03 Jun 2014, 20:05
- Location: California
Re: San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
This link should explain it for you. http://www.elesh.it/storiacomuni/storia ... tat=060062
The comune has been transeferred between different provices over time, as well as having its name slightly changed. For your purposes, the comue was a part of Caserta province from 1882. The comune was later transferred to Frosinone province after Frosinone was organized as a province in 1927.
The comune has been transeferred between different provices over time, as well as having its name slightly changed. For your purposes, the comue was a part of Caserta province from 1882. The comune was later transferred to Frosinone province after Frosinone was organized as a province in 1927.
TerraLavoro
Re: San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
thank you so much for the link! I will read it. To be sure I understand, today, there are two San Donato's--1 near Carinola Castera and one north of Frosinone. Looking at a map San Donato Val di Comino would have been the San Donato, Caserta noted on the passenger list for my grand mother in 1909?
If so would you know where I would go to look for her birth certificate?
Thank you again so much for your help
If so would you know where I would go to look for her birth certificate?
Thank you again so much for your help
Re: San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
It's not a proof, but I see several Cedrone's in the manifest for Carmela. As I know some Cedrone's in San Donato Val Comino, I lean towards it. 
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
Thank you for that information Pippo. I do know that the DiBona family does have some connection to the Cedrone family but I believe it was through marriage once they arrived in the US.
I have attached the passenger list showing my Grandmother's name.
Do you have any advice based on the information I have provided as to where I should start to look for my Grandmother's birth certificate?
I happen to be coming over to Italy in October 2017 to visit my daughter while she is studying in Florence and would love to determine exactly where my Grandmother was born so I can visit the site. We plan to tour Rome, Naples, Sorrento and Capri. I think that will put us near to Frosinone and Caserta and might allow for a visit to which ever commune she is actually from.
I have attached the passenger list showing my Grandmother's name.
Do you have any advice based on the information I have provided as to where I should start to look for my Grandmother's birth certificate?
I happen to be coming over to Italy in October 2017 to visit my daughter while she is studying in Florence and would love to determine exactly where my Grandmother was born so I can visit the site. We plan to tour Rome, Naples, Sorrento and Capri. I think that will put us near to Frosinone and Caserta and might allow for a visit to which ever commune she is actually from.
-
Rossonero3
- Veteran

- Posts: 159
- Joined: 28 Mar 2017, 23:09
- Location: Salem, MA USA
Re: San Donato, Caserta vs. Val di Comino
I just got back from Napoli, Sorrento/Capri/Amalfi Coast, and northern Caserta (Marzano Appio) where one side of my family is from. Beautiful trip and would be happy to provide any info/tips.
Since your mom references Frosinone than that's probably the one, although i've learned over the years that family often gets things wrong. If it is the San Donato in Caserta, then it's a frazione of Carinola and is right next to San Ruosi where I still have relatives. It would also qualify more or less as being at a foothill of a mountain which in this case would be Roccamonfina, an extinct volcano.
Since your mom references Frosinone than that's probably the one, although i've learned over the years that family often gets things wrong. If it is the San Donato in Caserta, then it's a frazione of Carinola and is right next to San Ruosi where I still have relatives. It would also qualify more or less as being at a foothill of a mountain which in this case would be Roccamonfina, an extinct volcano.
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta

