Am I eligible? Is it worth trying?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
acrutchfield
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Apr 2017, 21:53

Am I eligible? Is it worth trying?

Post by acrutchfield »

So I've just started my journey to possibly get citizenship, but I'm very confused on the problems that I could face, and if it's even possible for me to become a citizen.



GGGF was born in Italy (1867) and immigrated in 1899 with his wife (GGGM also born in Italy)

GGF was born in 1905

GGGF and GGGM were both shown to be alien on 1910 census

GGGF was naturalized in March 1912 (2 months before the cut off date I know :| )

GGGM was naturalized with him due to marriage.

GM was born in US in 1932

M was born in US in 1961

so the timeline would be GGGF -> GGF -> GM -> M -> Me if I am correct?

Would the 1948 rule effect my GGGM? or is it only for GGM? I'm really confused and am not sure if it is even worth the long process only to get denied. Any help?
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Am I eligible? Is it worth trying?

Post by mler »

I'm not positive of this so I'm suggesting you contact BBCWatcher at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org

According to the law at the time, the father's naturalization automatically ended citizenship for the entire family. However, it may be possible (and this is where I am unsure) that the wife's automatic citizenship loss may be challenged in a court case. Normally this would be the case post-1912 law, but I don't know if the same argument holds pre-1912.
dfdemar
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 16
Joined: 13 Oct 2015, 15:43

Re: Am I eligible? Is it worth trying?

Post by dfdemar »

You won't be able to apply for citizenship in the US because all the consulates enforce the 1912 rule. However it's possible you could apply at a comune in Italy because it's not universally enforced there.
Post Reply