Need Help translating birth record
Need Help translating birth record
Hello,
I'm hoping that someone could help me translate this birth record for Giuseppe Vittorio Foppiano.
It's the bottom right record. I'm hoping it states his father is Giovanni and mother Cattarina.
Thank you for your help
Tammy
I'm hoping that someone could help me translate this birth record for Giuseppe Vittorio Foppiano.
It's the bottom right record. I'm hoping it states his father is Giovanni and mother Cattarina.
Thank you for your help
Tammy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Father Giobatta (Giovanni Battista) mother Caterina
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Thank you Ann! does it happen to say what Caterina maiden name was and age of the parents?
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Need Help translating birth record
I'm reading the mother to be Catterina Noce. Her age isn't given.
Giobatta was a 44 yo peasant farmer, living in Cicagna.
Giuseppe Vittorio was born at 3 am on 28 April 1889 at (Via?) Belvedere.
Angela
Giobatta was a 44 yo peasant farmer, living in Cicagna.
Giuseppe Vittorio was born at 3 am on 28 April 1889 at (Via?) Belvedere.
Angela
Re: Need Help translating birth record
There is a frazione or hamlet in the town of Cicagna called Belvedere
https://books.google.com/books?id=RjEBA ... na&f=false
https://books.google.com/books?id=RjEBA ... na&f=false
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Thanks Erudita. Yes, I wondered about that but then I also saw that there was a Via Belvedere. Can you read what it says about why the baby wasn't presented - the father was given a dispensation. I can't read all the words because it's not so clear. I'm also reading the name as two abbreviated names Gio Batta (Giovanni Battista) not Giobatta. (Giobatta is an actual given name.) Do you concur?erudita74 wrote: 15 May 2017, 21:48 There is a frazione or hamlet in the town of Cicagna called Belvedere
https://books.google.com/books?id=RjEBA ... na&f=false
Angela
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Hi Angela
I also saw that the presentation of the infant was dispensed with, but I can't decipher the reason either.
It does look like a capital B in the name leading me to think it is written as two separate words, yet the signature has a small b and appears to be written as a single word. Plus we see batista instead of batta in the signature. I honestly don't think it's something to quibble over, since it is one and the same name.
Erudita
I also saw that the presentation of the infant was dispensed with, but I can't decipher the reason either.
It does look like a capital B in the name leading me to think it is written as two separate words, yet the signature has a small b and appears to be written as a single word. Plus we see batista instead of batta in the signature. I honestly don't think it's something to quibble over, since it is one and the same name.
Erudita
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Need Help translating birth record
I did see that signature at the bottom also but believe it to be the signature of the official and not the father. (I need to race out the door - visitors arriving to stay tomorrow and I need to seriously get some groceries and cooking organised.) Spot your later.
Angela

Angela
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Thank you everyone. What does the presentation of the infant dispense mean? Is that typical?
Re: Need Help translating birth record
I can link the ancestry record if that would be more helpful?
Re: Need Help translating birth record
"Per valido motivo dispensai dalla presentazione il dichiarante accertata prima altrimenti la nascita"stewey75 wrote: 15 May 2017, 22:39 What does the presentation of the infant dispense mean? Is that typical?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Normally after a birth, the newborn was physically presented at the town hall unless, there were extenuating circumstances. Sometimes there was very bad weather and the distance to the town hall was just too far. Sometimes there was an illness which prevented the infant from being presented. In this case, it seems there was a valid reason, but the reason is not specified in the record. The father appeared alone to verify the birth.
Erudita
Erudita
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Thank you! If it doesn't specify on the this record could it be anywhere else or it probably be a mystery. 
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Sorry, but I don't see the reason in this record, and it wouldn't appear in any other record. I would think though that distance proved to be part of the reason, as the birth took place in a hamlet of the town and not within the confines of the town itself.
Erudita
Erudita
Re: Need Help translating birth record
Thank you so much!
