Eligibility: jure sanguinis or 1948 case?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
khawthorne
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: 09 Jun 2017, 03:03

Eligibility: jure sanguinis or 1948 case?

Post by khawthorne »

Buongiorno !

First time poster here, trying to figure out if I qualify for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis or if I have a 1948 case on my hands. I’ve gotten a bit lost in all the jure sanguinis rules, so I thought I’d post here to see what you fine folks have to say.

My mother’s side of the family is Italian, and based on what we know about the family, it seems I have two potential avenues to Italian citizenship: one would be a 1948 case, from what I can tell, the other is a possible jure sanguinis scenario that I’m not very hopeful about. Note that there are some missing dates in this line that I’m working on uncovering. My biggest question is: was Tranquilla (GGM) able to pass citizenship to Barbara (GM)? The LIRA is my GGGF.

Great-great-grandfather
Giovanni DiDomenico
Born (unknown) in Scontrone, Italy
Immigrated to the USA (unknown date)
Unsure about naturalization, but he was still an alien in 1920 according to census records

Great-grandmother
Tranquilla DiDomenico
Born 1907 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
Married Lurgio (not much known about this line)

Grandmother
Barbara Lurgio
Born 1933 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
Married Frank Lucente, Jr.

Mother
Denise Lucente
Born 1958 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
Married Hawthorne

Me
Kimberly Hawthorne
Born 1988 in Chicago, Illinois, USA



________

And the other line. This feels like a 1948 case.


Great-grandmother
Gelsomina Scotese
Born 1906 in Campagna, Salerno, Italy
Arrived in the United States in 1912
Married Francesco Lucente in 1925 (Francesco was born in Italy, but naturalized in the United States in 1927, one year before my grandfather was born.)
Naturalized in the United States in 1937

Grandfather
Frank Lucente, Jr.
Born 1928 in Chicago, Illinois, USA

Mother
Denise Lucente
Born 1958 in Chicago, Illinois, USA
Married Hawthorne

Me
Kimberly Hawthorne
Born 1988 in Chicago, Illinois, USA




Any insight you can provide would be much appreciated! Thank you!
(My apologies if this is a duplicate post.)
Post Reply