I am trying to trace my father who I believe was a Prisoner of War he was in the Italian navy and was in Camp 61 Forest of Dean UK, from Match 1941 ( approx.) He was one of the prisoners who volunteered to work on the land and he was detailed to work on my grandmothers small holding, this is where he met my mother. The only name I have is Stefano/Stefan
Sadly all POW records were returned to the Italian Ministry of Defence based in Rome then the records were sent to the POW local region I have written to the Italian Ministry of Defence but never received a reply I even contacted the UK Prime Minister who contacted the Italian Ambassador who did write back with a list of names but was of no use
I have had a DNA taken and this shows my father came from Western/ Central Europe I feel that my father came from N Italy and near the large Italian naval base Taranto I would greatly welcome any assistance in the search for my father
Searching for my father
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Searching for my father
Welcome to the forum
Have you tried the Red Cross? (tracing.archives@icrc.org) Basically the Red Cross looked after, and kept tabs on our POWs, and they still hold most of the records. There was a time when you could write to them, (as I did, and did receive documentation), and request records from them. That service has since halted, as there were plans to digitise all the records and put them online. Anyways, if you read the following link you will see that in special cases you can still write to them and make a request, otherwise, it suggests that from October the documentation will be online:
https://www.icrc.org/en/document/reques ... -world-war
(WWI POW records were put online a few years ago if anyone is interested.)
Angela
Have you tried the Red Cross? (tracing.archives@icrc.org) Basically the Red Cross looked after, and kept tabs on our POWs, and they still hold most of the records. There was a time when you could write to them, (as I did, and did receive documentation), and request records from them. That service has since halted, as there were plans to digitise all the records and put them online. Anyways, if you read the following link you will see that in special cases you can still write to them and make a request, otherwise, it suggests that from October the documentation will be online:
https://www.icrc.org/en/document/reques ... -world-war
(WWI POW records were put online a few years ago if anyone is interested.)
Angela
-
Roy Tasker
- Newbie

- Posts: 19
- Joined: 15 Jan 2014, 13:56
- Location: Lincoln UK
Re: Searching for my father
Hi Fitzzy, I can't believe what I have just read because I have the exact same story! My father called Stefano worked on my uncles farm in Digby Lincolnshire. He had a relationship with my mother and as a result I was born in 1945. I have been trying to find my father for a number of years and have followed the same steps as you, other than I have not had DNA tests done. The only thing my mother told me was he was an engineer (doctor) so I would assume he came from Northern Italy. With no family name I seem to hit a brick wall, maybe we will find something when the records become computerised??
Please let me know if you make any progress, my email is joanroy2002@yahoo.co.uk
Regards Roy (Stefan)Tasker.
Please let me know if you make any progress, my email is joanroy2002@yahoo.co.uk
Regards Roy (Stefan)Tasker.