Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Breakdown of My Family History:
My Great-Great-Grandfather Albert Ange had One Child Margaret(1900) with his (possible) wife Catherine (might also be Clara or Calagera), in Italy. Then, sometime around 1905-1908 they immigrated to USA, and wound up in Streator, Illinois. I have not found one immigration record or ship manifest with either of their names on it.
They then had a Son Benji (1910), then Another (1911, My Great-Grandfather Frank), and one more daughter Mary (1915). Allegedly around 1919 Albert passes away, but I have no Death Certificate or Location.
In 1920, I find a Federal Census Record in NYC at a Mount Loretto, which was an orphanage located in Pleasant Plains, Staten Island. The Census includes only Frank and Benji.
In 1930, I find another Census Record in Brooklyn, NY. But, this record has Frank, Benji and Mary, his mother Catherine (now 48) and her new husband Girolano Montalbano (age 62). This Census record states that Catherine came to USA around 1906 and is Girolano's wife.
This is the last record I have with his mother Catherine.
What I currently have: I have Frank's Birth Certificate from Streator, Illinois. It has Albert and Catherine's name on it but she is referred to as Squtte Calagera Ange. I'm only basing their ages on this birth certificate and the census records.
On the Ancestry.com tree I have, Margaret has 2 items attached to her name:
1. Is her Social Security Claim Index and it has Albert Ange and Catherine as "Cologria Scutti"
2. Also has her Social Security Death Index but no important info included.
What I've ordered: I have ordered the Birth Certificates of his Brother Benji and Sister Mary born in Illinois hoping it might have new info on it.
I have searched numerous online ship manifests, using different spellings of each of their names, and broadened the search to the surrounding years with absolutely no luck.
What I Need Help Finding: I can't find ONE ship manifest that has his Father and/or Mother on it. They would have come from the South of Italy (No higher than Naples, most likely Sicily) sometime around 1905-1908.
Since I don't know where they came from, I don't have a Birth Certificate for their first child Margaret born in Italy, nor do I have a Marriage Certificate from them.
I also haven't located their Death Certificates/Dates/Locations. It could be anywhere between Illinois and NYC. The main problem being that Catherine had already remarried once and possibly a third time after that.
Where do I go now!?
My Great-Great-Grandfather Albert Ange had One Child Margaret(1900) with his (possible) wife Catherine (might also be Clara or Calagera), in Italy. Then, sometime around 1905-1908 they immigrated to USA, and wound up in Streator, Illinois. I have not found one immigration record or ship manifest with either of their names on it.
They then had a Son Benji (1910), then Another (1911, My Great-Grandfather Frank), and one more daughter Mary (1915). Allegedly around 1919 Albert passes away, but I have no Death Certificate or Location.
In 1920, I find a Federal Census Record in NYC at a Mount Loretto, which was an orphanage located in Pleasant Plains, Staten Island. The Census includes only Frank and Benji.
In 1930, I find another Census Record in Brooklyn, NY. But, this record has Frank, Benji and Mary, his mother Catherine (now 48) and her new husband Girolano Montalbano (age 62). This Census record states that Catherine came to USA around 1906 and is Girolano's wife.
This is the last record I have with his mother Catherine.
What I currently have: I have Frank's Birth Certificate from Streator, Illinois. It has Albert and Catherine's name on it but she is referred to as Squtte Calagera Ange. I'm only basing their ages on this birth certificate and the census records.
On the Ancestry.com tree I have, Margaret has 2 items attached to her name:
1. Is her Social Security Claim Index and it has Albert Ange and Catherine as "Cologria Scutti"
2. Also has her Social Security Death Index but no important info included.
What I've ordered: I have ordered the Birth Certificates of his Brother Benji and Sister Mary born in Illinois hoping it might have new info on it.
I have searched numerous online ship manifests, using different spellings of each of their names, and broadened the search to the surrounding years with absolutely no luck.
What I Need Help Finding: I can't find ONE ship manifest that has his Father and/or Mother on it. They would have come from the South of Italy (No higher than Naples, most likely Sicily) sometime around 1905-1908.
Since I don't know where they came from, I don't have a Birth Certificate for their first child Margaret born in Italy, nor do I have a Marriage Certificate from them.
I also haven't located their Death Certificates/Dates/Locations. It could be anywhere between Illinois and NYC. The main problem being that Catherine had already remarried once and possibly a third time after that.
Where do I go now!?
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Welcome to IG website
Heres the marriage info looks like her last name is Ganci
Name:Girolamo Montalbano
Gender:Male
Marriage Date:6 Sep 1924
Marriage Place:Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number:14277
Name:Caterina Ganci
Gender:Female
Marriage Date:6 Sep 1924
Marriage Place:Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number:14277
Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 for Girolamo Montalbano looks like they are from Sambuca di Sicilia
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
Heres the marriage info looks like her last name is Ganci
Name:Girolamo Montalbano
Gender:Male
Marriage Date:6 Sep 1924
Marriage Place:Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number:14277
Name:Caterina Ganci
Gender:Female
Marriage Date:6 Sep 1924
Marriage Place:Kings, New York, USA
Certificate Number:14277
Selected U.S. Naturalization Records - Original Documents, 1790-1974 for Girolamo Montalbano looks like they are from Sambuca di Sicilia
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
You wrote:
This may be a long-shot, but I located this 1940 US Census in Ossining, NY (Westchester County Almshouse)
for an Alberto Angie, age 61, born in Italy. He lists his marital status as married.
Given the censuses you found in the New York City area for the children and wife... perhaps Alberto was not deceased?
Line 67
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/24 ... PUBJs=true
Like you, I have been unsuccessful in locating any arrival information for Alberto, Calogera, or Margherita.
T.
Allegedly around 1919 Albert passes away, but I have no Death Certificate or Location.
This may be a long-shot, but I located this 1940 US Census in Ossining, NY (Westchester County Almshouse)
for an Alberto Angie, age 61, born in Italy. He lists his marital status as married.
Given the censuses you found in the New York City area for the children and wife... perhaps Alberto was not deceased?
Line 67
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/24 ... PUBJs=true
Like you, I have been unsuccessful in locating any arrival information for Alberto, Calogera, or Margherita.
T.
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
For ship manifests you can't go wrong contacting lostquays(AT)ymail.com. She can find anything!
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Update!
I recently found some ship manifests for Calagera & Margherita's arrival in New York City on Jun 30, 1905. The manifest even states that they were on their way to see her husband Alberto Ganci in Streator, Illinois which is a great resource. The manifest also states they're from Sambuca di Sicilia. So, I found a website devoted to finding out more information about residents originally from that town and have "hopefully" located Alberto and Calagera's Birth/Marriage Certifcates. I've found that they were originally Alberto Ganci and Calagera Scurti.
Thank you for the help with the Montalbano naturalization certificate, that will come in very handy! I'm still trying to find Calagera's Death date/certificate and this should lead me in the right direction. Where did you find this document, if you don't mind me asking?? I'm trying to find out if my GGGF Alberto was naturalized, and when that might have happened?
Also, thank you for the information on the possible Alberto Angie living in New York! I'll do some more digging, and hopefully find out if its him, and where/when he might have passed away!
I recently found some ship manifests for Calagera & Margherita's arrival in New York City on Jun 30, 1905. The manifest even states that they were on their way to see her husband Alberto Ganci in Streator, Illinois which is a great resource. The manifest also states they're from Sambuca di Sicilia. So, I found a website devoted to finding out more information about residents originally from that town and have "hopefully" located Alberto and Calagera's Birth/Marriage Certifcates. I've found that they were originally Alberto Ganci and Calagera Scurti.
Thank you for the help with the Montalbano naturalization certificate, that will come in very handy! I'm still trying to find Calagera's Death date/certificate and this should lead me in the right direction. Where did you find this document, if you don't mind me asking?? I'm trying to find out if my GGGF Alberto was naturalized, and when that might have happened?
Also, thank you for the information on the possible Alberto Angie living in New York! I'll do some more digging, and hopefully find out if its him, and where/when he might have passed away!
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Margherita Ganci birth act #241
Born 1 Dec 1900 to Alberto Ganci, 22, a farmer and his wife Calogera Scurti in a house at Via Proletari?, #8
I've also located the image of Alberto and Calogera's 1897 marriage act if you haven't located it yet. Let me know if you want me to post.
Born 1 Dec 1900 to Alberto Ganci, 22, a farmer and his wife Calogera Scurti in a house at Via Proletari?, #8
I've also located the image of Alberto and Calogera's 1897 marriage act if you haven't located it yet. Let me know if you want me to post.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Thank you so much Biff83!!
If you don't mind posting their Marriage Act also, that would be amazing!! If you might know how to get a hold of Alberto and Calagera's Birth Act's too, that would also help out a TON. I know Alberto was born in 1878 and Calagera was born in 1881/2.
If you don't mind posting their Marriage Act also, that would be amazing!! If you might know how to get a hold of Alberto and Calagera's Birth Act's too, that would also help out a TON. I know Alberto was born in 1878 and Calagera was born in 1881/2.
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
1897 Marriage act:
EDITED to add details
8 April 1897
Alberto Ganci, 18, farmer, son of Benedetto and the deceased Margherita Abata
Calogera Scurti, 15, housewife, daughter of Francesco and Maria ? Ferraro
EDITED to add details
8 April 1897
Alberto Ganci, 18, farmer, son of Benedetto and the deceased Margherita Abata
Calogera Scurti, 15, housewife, daughter of Francesco and Maria ? Ferraro
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Alberto's 1878 birth act #216:
EDITED to add:
Born 19 August 1878 to Benedetto Ganci, 41, a farmer and his wife Margherita Abate in a house on Via Sant'Antonino, #6.
EDITED to add:
Born 19 August 1878 to Benedetto Ganci, 41, a farmer and his wife Margherita Abate in a house on Via Sant'Antonino, #6.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Calogera's 1882 birth act #14:
EDITED to add:
Born 5 Jan 1882 to Francesco Scurti, 38, a farmer, and Maria ? Ferraro in a house at Via Sant'Antonino, #21 (same street as Alberto)
EDITED to add:
Born 5 Jan 1882 to Francesco Scurti, 38, a farmer, and Maria ? Ferraro in a house at Via Sant'Antonino, #21 (same street as Alberto)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Biff, you are a Golden God!! I can't believe you were able to pull these up so fast!
Someone I was speaking with also shared that there might be a second child born of Alberto and Calagera while still in Sicily, is it possible for you to find that info out??
Grazie!
Someone I was speaking with also shared that there might be a second child born of Alberto and Calagera while still in Sicily, is it possible for you to find that info out??
Grazie!
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
I'll check but it appears that first daughter was named after paternal grandmother, Margherita Abate; first son after paternal grandfather, Benedetto Ganci; second son after maternal grandfather, Francesco Scurti, and second daughter after maternal grandmother Maria Ferraro. There's the chance that another child was born after one of the grandparents who died as an infant.
Biff
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Biff,
So, just to clarify what you just responded with: Marghertia Abate is Albert's Grandmother, Benedetto Ganci is Albert's Father, and Francesco Scurti is Calagera's Grandfather, and Maria Ferraro is Calagera's Grandmother??
The wording was a bit confusing so I was just trying to clarify.
This is so much info, I'm loving it!
So, just to clarify what you just responded with: Marghertia Abate is Albert's Grandmother, Benedetto Ganci is Albert's Father, and Francesco Scurti is Calagera's Grandfather, and Maria Ferraro is Calagera's Grandmother??
The wording was a bit confusing so I was just trying to clarify.
This is so much info, I'm loving it!
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
The children were named for their grandparents--Margherita for Alberto's mother; Benji for Alberto's father; Frank for Calogera's father and Maria for Calogera's mother.VinnyInNOLA wrote: 22 Sep 2017, 19:46 Biff,
So, just to clarify what you just responded with: Marghertia Abate is Albert's Grandmother, Benedetto Ganci is Albert's Father, and Francesco Scurti is Calagera's Grandfather, and Maria Ferraro is Calagera's Grandmother??
The wording was a bit confusing so I was just trying to clarify.
This is so much info, I'm loving it!
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Thanks for the clarity Biff. You've done me an amazing service!
If anyone knows how to find US Death records that might come in handy next!
After 1919 Albert Ange disappears and after 1930 Calagera Ange Montalbano disappears too.
I haven't found any census or death records in Illinois or NY for an Albert or Alberto Ange, or Ganci.
If anyone knows how to find US Death records that might come in handy next!
After 1919 Albert Ange disappears and after 1930 Calagera Ange Montalbano disappears too.
I haven't found any census or death records in Illinois or NY for an Albert or Alberto Ange, or Ganci.