Calogera Scurti and daughter Margherita Ganci's 1905 ship manifest, lines 15 and 16. Note manifest markings indicating Calogera naturalized in 1942 on Dec 30 (12/30/1942) in District 2 (first number) which represents the Southern District of New York, Form 505, Application number 1022690.No C/A. No certificate of arrival.
"At times, Verification Clerks could not be sure the record found really did relate to the person who claimed that arrival record on their naturalization application. If there were enough significant differences, the clerk could not certify the arrival record. Minor differences were routine--ages one or two years off, hight off by a few inches, or Americanized names (Jacob for Yankel, for example). But many years difference in age/date of birth, differing eye color, or place of birth, prohibited certification without further explanation. In those cases, the clerk issued a record (Form 505, or 404), but issued no Certificate of Arrival. Hence the frequent annotation "No C/A." With Calogera being known by different first names and having been married at least twice to Alberto Ganci and Girolamo Montalbano, the clerk had legitimate reason to deny the certificate of arrival.
Sorry for the duplicate images.
Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Great updates! I spoke briefly with my grandfather (Frank Ange's son, and Alberto's Grandson) and here's what he said:
"I understood from my mom (Laura Sanclimenti Ange) that Calagera went to live with Aunt Mary, my dad’s (Frank Ange) sister, in Cleveland Ohio in the 50’s after her husband (Giorlano) died. Calagera’s third husband was Vito Guzzo married in Brooklyn late 40’s. Aunt Mary’s married name was polish, Zarzicky I think. My guess is she died there.
Alberto is a mystery. Nobody, especially my dad ever wanted to talk about him. Dad (Frank) was “orphaned” when he was 8, that would make it about 1919 when Alberto exited. I always felt that there was something sinister about his “leaving”. I’ve always had this feeling that he was either Jailed, done in somehow, left town and was never heard from, or just mysteriously disappeared. I’m not sure when the family moved to New York so I don’t know what orphanage he and his brother Benny were in and whether it was in New York or Illinois . I’m pretty sure it was a Catholic facility run by priests or brothers. They returned home after Calagera married her second husband Montalbano around 1923."
We already have the information on the orphanage that Frank and Benny were in during the 1920s. But it seems Vito Guzzo is Calagera's 3rd husband, and Alberto took off around 1919.
Thanks again for all this wonderful help!
"I understood from my mom (Laura Sanclimenti Ange) that Calagera went to live with Aunt Mary, my dad’s (Frank Ange) sister, in Cleveland Ohio in the 50’s after her husband (Giorlano) died. Calagera’s third husband was Vito Guzzo married in Brooklyn late 40’s. Aunt Mary’s married name was polish, Zarzicky I think. My guess is she died there.
Alberto is a mystery. Nobody, especially my dad ever wanted to talk about him. Dad (Frank) was “orphaned” when he was 8, that would make it about 1919 when Alberto exited. I always felt that there was something sinister about his “leaving”. I’ve always had this feeling that he was either Jailed, done in somehow, left town and was never heard from, or just mysteriously disappeared. I’m not sure when the family moved to New York so I don’t know what orphanage he and his brother Benny were in and whether it was in New York or Illinois . I’m pretty sure it was a Catholic facility run by priests or brothers. They returned home after Calagera married her second husband Montalbano around 1923."
We already have the information on the orphanage that Frank and Benny were in during the 1920s. But it seems Vito Guzzo is Calagera's 3rd husband, and Alberto took off around 1919.
Thanks again for all this wonderful help!
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
This verifies the marriage info you received.
Calogera Montalbano
in the New York City, Marriage License Indexes, 1907-1995
Name: Cologera (Calogera) Montalbano
Gender: Female
Marriage License Date: 19 Jun 1942
Marriage License Place: Queens, New York City, New York, USA
Spouse: Vito Guzzo
License Number: 6086
Biff
Calogera Montalbano
in the New York City, Marriage License Indexes, 1907-1995
Name: Cologera (Calogera) Montalbano
Gender: Female
Marriage License Date: 19 Jun 1942
Marriage License Place: Queens, New York City, New York, USA
Spouse: Vito Guzzo
License Number: 6086
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Wonderful research Biff, Vinny
I think Albert Ange fell on hardtimes (depression times) or sick that's why hes listed a boarder in the Westchester County Almshouse and that's why the kids were orphans. Also that's why his records are so hard to find
Marty
I think Albert Ange fell on hardtimes (depression times) or sick that's why hes listed a boarder in the Westchester County Almshouse and that's why the kids were orphans. Also that's why his records are so hard to find
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Following up on your thoughts that Alberto may not have died in 1918/1919 but run afoul of the law.
1940 census Tessa found for Albert Ange shows his place of residence in 1935 as Ossining NY which is the location of Sing Sing prison. Age of 61 also approximates his birth year of 1878. However, in searching the online Sing Sing inmate records I found no listing for him so Marty's thoughts about hard times or sickness make sense.
Biff
1940 census Tessa found for Albert Ange shows his place of residence in 1935 as Ossining NY which is the location of Sing Sing prison. Age of 61 also approximates his birth year of 1878. However, in searching the online Sing Sing inmate records I found no listing for him so Marty's thoughts about hard times or sickness make sense.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
-
VinnyInNOLA
- Rookie

- Posts: 25
- Joined: 13 Sep 2017, 19:35
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Thanks Biff!
Anyone know how to search NY Death records for an Albert/Alberto Ange/Angie/Ganci/Gangi sometime in the 40s??
Anyone know how to search NY Death records for an Albert/Alberto Ange/Angie/Ganci/Gangi sometime in the 40s??
Re: Need Help Figuring Out Next Steps - Ange/Ferrera/Montalbano
Ancestry has the New York State Death Index 1880-1956 -
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61535
Also the New York, New York Death Index 1862 - 1948
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9131
T.
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=61535
Also the New York, New York Death Index 1862 - 1948
http://search.ancestry.com/search/db.aspx?dbid=9131
T.
