Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Hello,
I’m researching a Hungarian couple for a friend. I’m struggling to find a ship manifest and a place of birth. I’m not sure what thier original names were. I’m hoping to find a place of birth and original Hungarian names. Here is what I know:
John Stanko (this was the name used in the United States, I’m guessing his first name was originally different) was born somewhere in Austria-Hungary, was ethnically Hungarian and was born about 1881 (a draft card claims his birthdate to be June 24th, 1881). He died around June 1932 in Newark, NJ.
His wife, Anna Kenderes Stanko (not sure if this is the original name either) was born around 1892 in Austria-Hungary. She died around November 1937 in Newark, NJ.
The couple was married in New Jersey in 1904 and lived in Newark for most of thier lives.
This is all the information I was able to find, any help would be appreciated. I don’t have a lot of experience in dealing with Eastern European genealogy so any assistance as well as advice would be helpful.
Thank you,
Tanner
I’m researching a Hungarian couple for a friend. I’m struggling to find a ship manifest and a place of birth. I’m not sure what thier original names were. I’m hoping to find a place of birth and original Hungarian names. Here is what I know:
John Stanko (this was the name used in the United States, I’m guessing his first name was originally different) was born somewhere in Austria-Hungary, was ethnically Hungarian and was born about 1881 (a draft card claims his birthdate to be June 24th, 1881). He died around June 1932 in Newark, NJ.
His wife, Anna Kenderes Stanko (not sure if this is the original name either) was born around 1892 in Austria-Hungary. She died around November 1937 in Newark, NJ.
The couple was married in New Jersey in 1904 and lived in Newark for most of thier lives.
This is all the information I was able to find, any help would be appreciated. I don’t have a lot of experience in dealing with Eastern European genealogy so any assistance as well as advice would be helpful.
Thank you,
Tanner
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Hi Tanner, yes the birthdate is different on 1915 NJ census:
John Stanko
New Jersey State Census, 1915
Name John Stanko
Event Type Census
Event Year 1915
Event Place Newark, 3 ward, 5 district, Essex, New Jersey, United States
Gender Male
Birth Date Nov 1880
Birthplace Austria
Household
Role
Sex
Age
Birthplace
John Stanko M Austria
Anna Stanko F Austria
John Stanko Jr. M New Jersey
Anna Stanko F New Jersey
hoping to find something...
suanj
John Stanko
New Jersey State Census, 1915
Name John Stanko
Event Type Census
Event Year 1915
Event Place Newark, 3 ward, 5 district, Essex, New Jersey, United States
Gender Male
Birth Date Nov 1880
Birthplace Austria
Household
Role
Sex
Age
Birthplace
John Stanko M Austria
Anna Stanko F Austria
John Stanko Jr. M New Jersey
Anna Stanko F New Jersey
hoping to find something...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
suanj,
Thanks for finding this, my friend will be very happy to see this! Strange that his birthday has now changed. I have found Stanko to be a common Hungarian name so I am having trouble narrowing down this person for my friend and this does help me in my search, thank you!
Thanks for finding this, my friend will be very happy to see this! Strange that his birthday has now changed. I have found Stanko to be a common Hungarian name so I am having trouble narrowing down this person for my friend and this does help me in my search, thank you!
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I did a quick search in the Catholic Cemeteries / Archdiocese of Newark.
http://www.rcancem.org/find-a-loved-one ... o&cemcode=
There is a John Stanko death in 1932 in Holy Sepulchre in East Orange which is next to Newark. Anna is also listed as having died in 1937 in the same grave.
Be cautious with assuming that they are Hungarian - this region has gone thru significant changes over the years as illustrated in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGt1EUrwwpc
If you have not, you may want expand your search to include "slovaks, rusyns, poles, ukrainians and romanians".
http://www.rcancem.org/find-a-loved-one ... o&cemcode=
There is a John Stanko death in 1932 in Holy Sepulchre in East Orange which is next to Newark. Anna is also listed as having died in 1937 in the same grave.
Be cautious with assuming that they are Hungarian - this region has gone thru significant changes over the years as illustrated in this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGt1EUrwwpc
If you have not, you may want expand your search to include "slovaks, rusyns, poles, ukrainians and romanians".
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I also noticed in the NJ Marriage Index (Brides) 1904-1909 page 338 that John names is listed as Stenko.
https://archive.org/stream/NJ_Marriage_ ... 7/mode/1up
Have you requested the marriage certificate form the State of NJ. Here is a link - https://wwwnet-dos.state.nj.us/DOS_Arch ... index.aspx - include the state file number - 41 62. I typically get requests in 1-2 weeks.
https://archive.org/stream/NJ_Marriage_ ... 7/mode/1up
Have you requested the marriage certificate form the State of NJ. Here is a link - https://wwwnet-dos.state.nj.us/DOS_Arch ... index.aspx - include the state file number - 41 62. I typically get requests in 1-2 weeks.
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
ffusiak,
This is very helpful! I will try to order the marriage certificate. I am familiar with the Holy Sepulchre, many of my own family from New Jersey is buried there. I was always told they were Hungarian, however I will try to expand my search. As for Stanko/Stenko, this couple’s descendants carry the name Stanko. However, I suppose it is possible it was changed. I appreciate your help!
This is very helpful! I will try to order the marriage certificate. I am familiar with the Holy Sepulchre, many of my own family from New Jersey is buried there. I was always told they were Hungarian, however I will try to expand my search. As for Stanko/Stenko, this couple’s descendants carry the name Stanko. However, I suppose it is possible it was changed. I appreciate your help!
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Most of my family is buried in Holy Cross in North Arlington.
I did find one "odd" record for Anna Kenderes in the US Social Security Applications and Claims Index - https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource
I suspect it is actually for Elsie Rose filing for an initial card and placing the parents name on the document. These forms usually get updates when changes are made. If you can find the SS#, you may be able to request the SS-5. If Elsie is still living, you will not find it.
Do you know which parish / church they attended? I usually send a SASE envelop asking for any marriage information if they retained them.
PS: I also came across one for Michael Paul Stanko, but Anna's surname has a transcription error listed as Kendersh https://search.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi- ... ml_rpos=89
I did find one "odd" record for Anna Kenderes in the US Social Security Applications and Claims Index - https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... cessSource
I suspect it is actually for Elsie Rose filing for an initial card and placing the parents name on the document. These forms usually get updates when changes are made. If you can find the SS#, you may be able to request the SS-5. If Elsie is still living, you will not find it.
Do you know which parish / church they attended? I usually send a SASE envelop asking for any marriage information if they retained them.
PS: I also came across one for Michael Paul Stanko, but Anna's surname has a transcription error listed as Kendersh https://search.ancestrylibrary.com/cgi- ... ml_rpos=89
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I found them in the 1932, 1934 and 1935 Newark City Directory with different addresses.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
ffusiak,
I also have family in Holy Cross. I am not aware of any church they attended. I know most of thier children lived in the Vailsburg section of Newark. Elsie and Michael are both thier children. Do you know where I should look to find original European names as well as birth locations? I assume whether they are Hungarian, Austrian, German, Polish, Slovak, etc they would not have English names like John and Anna. Maybe this is where the roadblock results from. The city directories make sense, John was a hatter by trade. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Tanner
I also have family in Holy Cross. I am not aware of any church they attended. I know most of thier children lived in the Vailsburg section of Newark. Elsie and Michael are both thier children. Do you know where I should look to find original European names as well as birth locations? I assume whether they are Hungarian, Austrian, German, Polish, Slovak, etc they would not have English names like John and Anna. Maybe this is where the roadblock results from. The city directories make sense, John was a hatter by trade. Your help is greatly appreciated!
Tanner
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
You really need to find the ship manifest or naturalization records (if they were) to potential identify the village. I could not locate them.
From what I did, I think John surname is Stanko or with slight variation Stankovic? with a first name probably Jan / Janos. Anna's surname I have no clue.
With the new addresses, you could possible look for them in 1920 or 1930 census to see if there is any indication that they were naturalized.
I would also recommend you ask the Central Europe Genealogy Group on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/groups/Central ... Community/
and the NJ Genealogy Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewJers ... gyJustAsk/
From what I did, I think John surname is Stanko or with slight variation Stankovic? with a first name probably Jan / Janos. Anna's surname I have no clue.
With the new addresses, you could possible look for them in 1920 or 1930 census to see if there is any indication that they were naturalized.
I would also recommend you ask the Central Europe Genealogy Group on Facebook -https://www.facebook.com/groups/Central ... Community/
and the NJ Genealogy Group - https://www.facebook.com/groups/NewJers ... gyJustAsk/
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
So you are aware, I did a search in German Genealogy Group Naturalization database (ttp://www.germangenealogygroup.com/records-se ... ations.php) with a wildcard search Stank* for Essex County and USDC-Newark and only two possibilities surfaced meeting the date ranges (see below)
Stankowitz John 6600 Declaration 1921 USDC-NJ-Newark
Stankovics John Joseph 22864 Declaration 1927 USDC-NJ-Newark
Stankovics John Joseph 47244 Declaration 1939 USDC-NJ-Newark
Stankowitz John 6600 Declaration 1921 USDC-NJ-Newark
Stankovics John Joseph 22864 Declaration 1927 USDC-NJ-Newark
Stankovics John Joseph 47244 Declaration 1939 USDC-NJ-Newark
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
ffusiak,
Thank you for these resources, I will post an add on one of the Facebook groups to see how it turns out! I have thier 1920 and 1930 census records, and they were both dead by 1940. I believe John died without gaining citizenship, he was listed as an alien in the 1930 census. Stanko seems to be a common surname so if I did locate any records they would have to be for a John Stanko or similar who was a hatter and born between 1880-1882.
Thank you for these resources, I will post an add on one of the Facebook groups to see how it turns out! I have thier 1920 and 1930 census records, and they were both dead by 1940. I believe John died without gaining citizenship, he was listed as an alien in the 1930 census. Stanko seems to be a common surname so if I did locate any records they would have to be for a John Stanko or similar who was a hatter and born between 1880-1882.
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
the 1910 census:
John Sterngo
United States Census, 1910
Name John Sterngo
Event Type Census
Event Date 1910
Event Place Newark Ward 14, Essex, New Jersey, United States
Gender Male
Age 3
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1907
Birthplace New Jersey
Father's Birthplace Hungary
Mother's Birthplace Hungary
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 18
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1727033
it is the right family, but the surname is misspelled.. and the age of parents is wrong... however I believe that Anna was no born on 1891, because she married on 1904... no right age to marry... if she was born on 1891, she was just 13 old on 1904... no .. my opinion is that john was born on 1880 and Anna on 1887... and I believe right the immigration year.. if I will find the 1905 census, maybe helpful...
maybe some further info...
regards,
suanj
John Sterngo
United States Census, 1910
Name John Sterngo
Event Type Census
Event Date 1910
Event Place Newark Ward 14, Essex, New Jersey, United States
Gender Male
Age 3
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race (Original) White
Relationship to Head of Household Son
Relationship to Head of Household (Original) Son
Birth Year (Estimated) 1907
Birthplace New Jersey
Father's Birthplace Hungary
Mother's Birthplace Hungary
Sheet Letter A
Sheet Number 18
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1727033
it is the right family, but the surname is misspelled.. and the age of parents is wrong... however I believe that Anna was no born on 1891, because she married on 1904... no right age to marry... if she was born on 1891, she was just 13 old on 1904... no .. my opinion is that john was born on 1880 and Anna on 1887... and I believe right the immigration year.. if I will find the 1905 census, maybe helpful...
maybe some further info...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Thank you suanj! I have not been able to locate the 1910 census this is very helpful. I agree with you about Anna Stanko, she must’ve been born around 1887. I searched the 1905 NJ census but couldn’t find any results. Maybe you’ll have some luck?
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I don't had luck abt 1905 census, you are sure that they married in NJ?
suanj
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

