suanj,
I also did not have luck with the 1905 census. But here is thier marriage record, in NJ, in 1904.
https://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse ... sePUB=true
Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Tanner I don't have ancestry.com account, so I cannot read, but where they married.. what place.. Newark?
Regards,
suanj
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
the surname spelling could be Stankov or Stankow???
suanj
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Tanner,
As follow-up to my PM, attached is the marriage record from St. Stanislaus Church in Newark. Records was obtained at the following (image 500, Film 1398598):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Frank
As follow-up to my PM, attached is the marriage record from St. Stanislaus Church in Newark. Records was obtained at the following (image 500, Film 1398598):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Frank
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Frank,
Wow, this is remarkable. I don’t speak Latin but this confirms that they were Hungarian and gives thier traditional names as well as their parents names, this is amazing! Thank you so much! Very interesting that they attended a Polish church. HoWever, Johannes is not a Hungarian name, I don’t believe? Either way, this is a spectacular starting point. The writing is a bit hard to read and i will need to translate the Latin, but I can build off this!
Wow, this is remarkable. I don’t speak Latin but this confirms that they were Hungarian and gives thier traditional names as well as their parents names, this is amazing! Thank you so much! Very interesting that they attended a Polish church. HoWever, Johannes is not a Hungarian name, I don’t believe? Either way, this is a spectacular starting point. The writing is a bit hard to read and i will need to translate the Latin, but I can build off this!
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Are these names Hungarian? It looks to me like John Stanko is spelled Joannes Stenko. János is Hungarian for John. Joannes sounds like something else to me. His parents look like “Andreas Stenko” and his mother I can’t make out at all. Can anyone make out these names and or validate them as Hungarian?
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I read it as
Joannes Stenko age 23 son of Andreas and Maria Kowal
Anna Kenderes age 22 daughter of Michaelis and Elizabeth Gajda
in attendance Carolo Praisner and Joanne Solautaj (?)
I would cross-check this one with the NJ state record.
The church records had many "Slavic" names. I also saw some from Carphato-Rusyn surname (which I am) but the records seem to always state their nationalities as you can slightly see "Pol" on the record below. Thus I think you can conclude they were from Hungary.
PS: Here is a Latin reference - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/La ... ord_List#P
Joannes Stenko age 23 son of Andreas and Maria Kowal
Anna Kenderes age 22 daughter of Michaelis and Elizabeth Gajda
in attendance Carolo Praisner and Joanne Solautaj (?)
I would cross-check this one with the NJ state record.
The church records had many "Slavic" names. I also saw some from Carphato-Rusyn surname (which I am) but the records seem to always state their nationalities as you can slightly see "Pol" on the record below. Thus I think you can conclude they were from Hungary.
PS: Here is a Latin reference - https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/La ... ord_List#P
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
I agree, this confirms they are Hungarian. To me Anna appears to be something else, and Maria Kowal looks more like Maria Kowaé. I will cross check this for sure. Thank you so much for your help, my family will be so excited to find this info.
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Great... the parents are mentioned, great!ffusiak wrote: 24 Jan 2018, 18:56 Tanner,
As follow-up to my PM, attached is the marriage record from St. Stanislaus Church in Newark. Records was obtained at the following (image 500, Film 1398598):
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
Frank
thanks,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Re: Hungarian Coulple in NJ
Anna Kenderes was 22 old on 1904.. she was born around 1882..
suanj
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH

