Hello,
I am new to this forum and am searching for information regarding my oldest ancestor that I have found, Alfonso Iapicca. He was born in the comune of Pratola Serra in the region of Avellino. He was born around 1862 and died around April of 1948 in Hoboken, New Jersey. He married Maria Rocco, also born in Pratola Serra. He had the following known children: Raffaela, Pasquale, Gennaro, and Giuseppe. It has been reported by the family that Alfonso's parents were Pasquale Iapicca and Raffaela DiCicco, but I have found no documentation to support this. I am looking any information about Alfonso, as well as any info regarding his parents and siblings. I am grateful for any information, I have hit a roadblock in my research.
Thank you!
Tom
Alfonso Iapicca
Re: Alfonso Iapicca
Welcome to IG website the online records of Pratola Serra are available at your local Family History Center on their computers its the films with the key icon on them
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
In searching Italian civil records you have birth(nati) death(morte) marriage (matrimoni) by year most go from 1866-1910 some towns have other years. Indexes are found at the beginning or end of the year you are searching by index number and surname.There are also multi year indexes which combine 5 or 10 years of indexes.
So most of the time just look in the index for the name you are are searching for in that year you are searching then find the index number and go back in that year and find the record with that number on it.
Sometimes there are no indexes at all then its page by page search by year but just because one year has no index doesn’t mean all years don’t have a index
Births have 3 records per image most of the time marriages have 2 records per image deaths have 4 images per image sometimes records are single pages depends how they were photographed by the FHL Family History Library
Babies are born then presented to the civil official of the town usually within a few days of birth for entry in the birth registry that’s why the difference in dates on the record If there is a problem and they cant register the birth act until much later they are entered in the Parte 2 for that year usually in the rear of the records and that record is usually handwritten. Sometimes there are sidenotes with marriage or death information or if the act has a mistake in it a correction to those mistakes
Marriage records include birth town, ages, occupations, parents names and if they are deceased which is very helpful in record searching
Death records have the age of deceased also the parents names and if they were married and to whom and usually town of birth usually not the cause of death
Civil records are signed by the civil official and 2 witnesses not usually family members
The indexes for the churches in Italy of baptism and marriage and death are arranged by first name first (later years last name first) by year and date of the act and page and record number. Just find your person in the index and go back to the records to find the act you
Marty
PG LINK TO RECORDS
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
In searching Italian civil records you have birth(nati) death(morte) marriage (matrimoni) by year most go from 1866-1910 some towns have other years. Indexes are found at the beginning or end of the year you are searching by index number and surname.There are also multi year indexes which combine 5 or 10 years of indexes.
So most of the time just look in the index for the name you are are searching for in that year you are searching then find the index number and go back in that year and find the record with that number on it.
Sometimes there are no indexes at all then its page by page search by year but just because one year has no index doesn’t mean all years don’t have a index
Births have 3 records per image most of the time marriages have 2 records per image deaths have 4 images per image sometimes records are single pages depends how they were photographed by the FHL Family History Library
Babies are born then presented to the civil official of the town usually within a few days of birth for entry in the birth registry that’s why the difference in dates on the record If there is a problem and they cant register the birth act until much later they are entered in the Parte 2 for that year usually in the rear of the records and that record is usually handwritten. Sometimes there are sidenotes with marriage or death information or if the act has a mistake in it a correction to those mistakes
Marriage records include birth town, ages, occupations, parents names and if they are deceased which is very helpful in record searching
Death records have the age of deceased also the parents names and if they were married and to whom and usually town of birth usually not the cause of death
Civil records are signed by the civil official and 2 witnesses not usually family members
The indexes for the churches in Italy of baptism and marriage and death are arranged by first name first (later years last name first) by year and date of the act and page and record number. Just find your person in the index and go back to the records to find the act you
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia
Marty
Marty
Re: Alfonso Iapicca
adelfio,
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this, I’m new to genealogy. Unfortunately, I discovered I live four hours from the nearest family history center. Maybe someday I’ll make the road trip.
Tom
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this, I’m new to genealogy. Unfortunately, I discovered I live four hours from the nearest family history center. Maybe someday I’ll make the road trip.
Tom
Re: Alfonso Iapicca
Tom,tom.pepe wrote: 20 Mar 2018, 20:26 adelfio,
Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this, I’m new to genealogy. Unfortunately, I discovered I live four hours from the nearest family history center. Maybe someday I’ll make the road trip.
Tom
Check to see if there is an Affiliate Library near you. An Affiliate Library is usually a city or county library which has established a relationship with LDS and where you can view records.
Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"

