Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
-
flowerchic1
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 15:47
Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
I received an e-mail that my jure sanguinis claim was accepted and that I could apply for a passport. The appointment is hard to get, so I wanted to try another Italian embassy. What do I use as proof of citizenship? What did others receive as proof of citizenship after a dual nationality claim? I have nothing but the email. Or is this done with the AIRE database and a US passport?
Re: Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
You can only obtain an Italian passport from the consulate which recognized your citizenship. Bring a copy of the email you received.
-
flowerchic1
- Newbie

- Posts: 5
- Joined: 13 Jun 2017, 15:47
Re: Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
I asked if I could apply for a passport elsewhere. The embassy said once I was recognized I could apply at whatever consulate or embassy. What I do not know, is what I have as proof of citizenship
Re: Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
It seems the letter from the consulate would provide proof only to the consulate that sent it. Another consulate may not find that sufficient. Also you may have some difficulty getting a consulate to issue a passport if you don’t reside in its jurisdiction. The consulates are pretty much focused on limiting their services to residents, so I’m surprised you were told you could go anywhere.
You may be able to obtain a passport at the comune that registered your records. But they, too may prefer you apply where you reside.
The procedure for obtaining an Italian passport is more limited than the procedure in the US, where you can pretty much apply at most post offices. I stopped at my post office and received my US passport within ten days; according to my consulate I can expect a ten week wait for just an appointment. Frustrating, I know, but ultimately it’s probably the way to go.
The only proof of citizenship I received was the letter.
You may be able to obtain a passport at the comune that registered your records. But they, too may prefer you apply where you reside.
The procedure for obtaining an Italian passport is more limited than the procedure in the US, where you can pretty much apply at most post offices. I stopped at my post office and received my US passport within ten days; according to my consulate I can expect a ten week wait for just an appointment. Frustrating, I know, but ultimately it’s probably the way to go.
The only proof of citizenship I received was the letter.
Re: Getting a passport with what proof of Italian citizenship
You must be a legal, permanent resident of your commune in Italy to be able to use that commune's Questura (police station) to apply for a passport.
If you're in a hurry and can't wait for the passport because you are moving to Italy, you can ask your consulate to expedite the passport if you have a plane ticket as proof to show them. Otherwise the consulate will consider that you don't need an expedited passport for travel anywhere other than Italy because you do have an American passport and you will just have to wait in line for however many months it takes at your consulate.
If you're in a hurry and can't wait for the passport because you are moving to Italy, you can ask your consulate to expedite the passport if you have a plane ticket as proof to show them. Otherwise the consulate will consider that you don't need an expedited passport for travel anywhere other than Italy because you do have an American passport and you will just have to wait in line for however many months it takes at your consulate.
