Antonio DiBenedetto

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by beenealogy »

Hey there,

I know this is quite a long shot, but I figured I'd just put this here in case anyone ever thinks there could be a possible relation. Apologies if this isn't the appropriate part of the website to post this, but my dad and I are just trying to find out more about a particular part of our family:

My grandmother, Carmela DiBenedetto, never really knew her father, and there is a long and complicated story involving her birth. My father and I are pretty certain that she was born to unmarried parents in 1918, of course at a time when that kind of thing was pretty scandalous. I am under the impression the birth might not have even been reported because I've yet to find a birth record though I know my grandmother was born in the Manhattan District, which typically has very thorough records.

The only information I have about my grandmother's father is that his name was Anthony from my grandparents' wedding certificate and in 1920, my grandmother, my grandmother's parents (Anthony and Marie (Bursi-1900)), and Anthony's sister, Carmela (c.1890). According to the US census record, Anthony's details were as follows:
-Born in 1896
-Born in Italy (not sure of the specific location though my father always thought Sicily)
-Immigrated in 1912
-Worked as a tailor in a shop
-Lived at 2nd Street in Manhattan Assembly District 8

In a complicated move that my dad never really even found out the reasoning for, my grandmother was sent to Italy, allegedly to live with Anthony's sister and family (there are many lies surrounding this - eventually Marie ended up going back to where she was from Menfi, Sicily and picked her up, which has led me to believe that my grandma really wasn't with the DiBenedetto's); however, most of this isn't really relevant to Anthony himself. My grandmother returned in 1928 with Marie, and as far as my father knows, she never heard from or saw her father again.

I'm honestly just curious about which parts of Italy DiBenedetto immigrant families to NY in the early 20th century came from. So please feel free to share if you have an ancestor that falls into that category.

Thank you,
Bryan
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by adelfio »

Looks like her mother Maria Giuseppa Bursi (born 1900) who was married to Antonio DiBenedetto was a widow(says age 28 and w after sex on manifest) when they came over in 1928 from Menfi line #10 on the manifest maybe that's the story

PG#1 LINK TO MANIFEST
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... _4380-0567

PG#2 TO MANIFEST
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/74 ... _4380-0568

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by beenealogy »

Hmm...I've actually seen that manifest before, but I've never noticed the widow thing before. I would say that might be a possibility then, but I am still skeptical. It seems like it wouldn't be as controversial to say that she was married and he just died. The story has been that Antonio and Marie separated, and I also know that the were inaccurate documents about them such as a 1920 census that had them living with Antonio's sister, and it was documented that they were brother and sister, and that my grandmother was actually the child of Antonio's sister. Things with that particular family just have always been very shady.
User avatar
adelfio
Master
Master
Posts: 9334
Joined: 27 Oct 2010, 13:47
Location: Chicago

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by adelfio »

What was Carmela DiBenedetto husbands name and where did they settle?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by beenealogy »

She married Alfred Vincent Grilli in 1946, and they settled in Brooklyn, had my dad in 1954, and moved to Long Island in like 1959.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

Hi seeming that Antonio and Maria was married, so also the little Millie( Carmela) surely, her birth was registered and also baptized, surely... almost the baptism record must be filed in the church archive
Tony Dibenedetto
United States Census, 1920
Name
Tony Dibenedetto
Event Type
Census
Event Date
1920
Event Place
Manhattan Assembly District 8, New York, New York, United States
Gender
Male
Age
24
Marital Status
Married
Race
White
Race (Original)
White
Relationship to Head of Household
Brother
Relationship to Head of Household (Original)
Brother
Birth Year (Estimated)
1896
Birthplace
Italy
Immigration Year
1912
Father's Birthplace
Italy
Mother's Birthplace
Italy
Sheet Letter
A
Sheet Number
8
Household
Role
Sex
Age
Birthplace
Carmille Dibenedetto
Head
F
30
Italy
Maria Dibenedetto
Sister
F
20
Italy
Tony Dibenedetto
Brother
M
24
Italy
Millie Dibenedetto
Daughter
F
1
New York
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1488411
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

on 1920 census, he seeming naturalized on 1919.. maybe helpful to find his naturalization as a well his arrival (1912)..
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

I believe that the Joseph Di Benedetto on same census was also a Brother probably, also working in a tailor shop, cannot be a coincidence..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

I found a Giuseppe Di Benedetto born in Messercola, hamlet of Cervino town in Caserta province, tailor ladies, and I am pretty sure that is the Brother of your Antonio:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1968530
and that also because I no found any di Benedetto in Menfi civil records....
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

and I found also:
Anthony Benideto
United States World War I Draft Registration Cards
Name
Anthony Benideto
Event Type
Draft Registration
Event Date
1917-1918
Event Place
New York City no 95, New York, United States
Gender
Male
Nationality
Italy
Birth Date
18 Jul 1893
Birthplace
Cervino, , Italy
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... cc=1968530
I believe this is your Antonio..
tailor!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by suanj »

here the Birth record:
Francesco Antonio DI Benedetto born in Messercola hamlet of Cervino town, Caserta, IT on 18 jul 1893 #32 son of Vito Di Benedetto and of Carmina Campagnuolo
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043630
your suggestions?
Regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
beenealogy
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 10 Sep 2016, 16:44

Re: Antonio DiBenedetto

Post by beenealogy »

Thank you very much for this wonderful information. I do agree that these are probably linked to the right people. I'll have to look a little closer into all of them, but it definitely all seems right.
Post Reply