Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

Hello,

I was wondering if someone who has access to a family center could help me out. I am trying to see if I can find the birth record for Angela Gatto who may have been born in San Pietro a Maida, Italy. She was born around 1855 I want to say. This is based on her son, Antonio Tommaso Tedesco's birth record.

I am also trying to find the birth record for a Paolo Coppola who may have also been born in the town. He was born around 1843 based on his daughter Caterina's birth record.

Paolo is the wife of Rosa Suverato who was born 31 May 1843. Her parents were Giuseppe Suverato and Concetta Nestico. Both were born around 1813.

I hope someone can help as I don't have access to a family center.

Thanks!
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

Hi, I did a quick online search for San Pietro a Maida in Catanzaro. It didn't show up on familysearch.org under records. The years are available for what you need. Is it possible San Pietro is part of a larger town that I should look under? R McKean
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

The documents are there. San Pietro a Maida is its own town. The only thing is that the documents are only accessible from a family center. You can see where the records are online you just can't get to them.
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

I completed the search last night and posted the information. The records are in the town of Maida under Campobasso. I don't know how long it takes for reviews. Hopefully the reply will go through to you.
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

Hi, checked the records of San Pietro a Maida in familysearch.org.

For Paolo Coppola, in the years 1842, 1843 and 1844 no birth record found.

for Rosa Suverato, you are correct on your information. That record can be found at film 04860779, document number 41 Image 1137.

For Angela Gatto: Her name is Angela Maria Gallo. She was born 4 February 1855. She was baptized/christened on 20 March 1855. Her father is: Vincenzo age 33. Mother is Caterina d'Eli____, age 20. The last name was hard to read. I hope someone else with online access to family search can review that last name.
The reference is film 4860779, Image 2043, document number 18
R McKean
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

Paolo must not have been born there. Can you check nearby Curinga? I have a feeling he and a couple others may have been born there then.

Thanks for the other info.

As far as Angela goes, It is Gatto. Commune office confirmed that. Just couldn't get me the info.

Curinga is online: https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/1937913

You just have to be at a family center. I have a few last names to look up there. Coppola and Gullo.
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

I have the capability to view Curinga records from home.

There is not a birth record for Paolo Coppola in Curinga 1842, 1843 and 1844.

I looked at the birth record again for Angela Gatto/Gallo. I hold that the name is Gallo, but will defer to what the comune told you.

R McKean
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

That's weird. Do you think he was born in Maida? I'll have to ask for the marriage records.

Since you have access to the Curinga records, Can you find Domenica Gullo? She was born around 1877.

And see if there are other Gullos there.

Thanks!
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

I don't know where Paolo Coppola was born; I just checked the villages you mentioned. Do you have any documentation to suggest he was born in Maida?

I didn't see birth records available for 1877 for Curinga. If you see those on familysearch.org just send me the film number and I'll take a look.
R McKean
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

No I don't. The commune only told me what I know when I asked them for the birth date of Concetta Coppola, his daughter.

Concetta was born January 28th, 1882 in San Pietro a Maida to Paolo Coppola and Rosa Suverato. Surverato's records were found and I got that all set. I think I am going to need Paolo's marriage to Rosa. Not sure where he was born. So that's why I am asking because they can't find him in San Pietro a Maida.

I don't think 1877 Curinga is online. What is the latest they have for Curinga? What dates do they cover?
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

I assume you based the birth year of Paolo from his age on Concetta's birth record?
If that is the case, then maybe we can check for the marriage record online. Typically,
a couple married in the bride's village.
If Rosa Suverato was born in 1843, which we know is true, then she the earliest she married was twenty years later in 1863. That is a big span between an early marriage date and Concetta's 1882 birth. She is likely one of their last children.
It's a lot to check 20 years of marriage documents, if they are available.
Is there any other information to help narrow it down?
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

Yes, I did. The commune office gave me his age. Here's what they said:

Vedi se ti interessa, Coppola Concetta nata il 28.01.1882 figlia di Coppola Paolo ,quando è stata dichiarata il padre aveva 39 anni e figlia di Suverato Rosa di anni 38 ........Coppola Concetta ha contratto matrimonio con Papatolo Vincenzo il 16.05.1907.

That translated to:

See if you are interested, Coppola Concetta born 28.01.1882 daughter of Coppola Paolo, when she was declared her father was 39 years old and daughter of Suverato Rosa of 38 years ........ Coppola Concetta has contracted marriage with Papatolo Vincenzo the 16.05.1907.

Concetta had a sister, Caterina who was born ten years earlier in 1872. Concetta was my great-aunt's "Aunt Zia" when the family moved to Haverhill, Mass.

The only records for San Pietro a Maida that are online are birth records. Concetta was probably their last child, indeed. I dunno if Caterina's birth narrows it down. Got her estimated birth from the commune office as well.
mckeanrc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 12
Joined: 18 Feb 2018, 05:28

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by mckeanrc »

There are a few options here:
Go to a family history center and research all the other siblings of Concetta and Caterina. Sometimes one hint in a birth record will help find the parents, in this case the father.

Find the marriage document for Caterina born in 1872 if she married in Italy. Because that birth record will tell if her parents are living or deceased. At least from that point you can look at death records for Paolo Coppola. If he is living when Caterina marries, then look for the death after that date. If Paolo is dead when Caterina marries, than look for the death between Concetta's 1882 birth and Caterina's marriage date.

The death record will tell you Paolo's age at time of death, the birth location and the names of his parents. This may be your best option to find him.

Also find out if the Calabria/Catanzaro region has a lista di leva (military registration) online to view. Look for brothers of Caterina and Concetta. If there isn't a lista online then email the archivio and ask for them to search for sons of Paoloa Coppola and Rosa Suverato.

I know you mentioned that you aren't near a LDS family history center. How far is the closest one? It might be worth organizing all your notes and devoting a good day or two to spend researching at a center.
Good luck. You have a lot of good information to work it.
Cferra
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 147
Joined: 14 Jul 2017, 15:46

Re: Coppola and Gatto in San Pietro a Maida

Post by Cferra »

The nearest one is a couple towns over. The problem is my Italian isn't that great. So, I don't know if I'd be able to translate it okay and I'm not entirely sure the staff would be able to help in that case.

So my best option is to probably keep talking to the commune office in San Pietro a Maida. I have several questionsa for them and I've been talking to them on Facebook using Google Translate.

I'll try the other options and see what I get. Oh and I sent you a private message. Thanks for your help!
Post Reply