Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
wldspirit,
I just spoke to the Civil Clerk of Court in New Orleans and she had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't point me in the right direction. So I called Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge and they don't have naturalization records. She gave me the number to Missouri which wasn't correct either. Eventually, I received the number to Ft. Worth and the nice lady there said to email her all the info I know and she'll let me know what she finds out. Took me awhile to get there but I think I found the right place that may have the info I'm looking for.
As for the church my grandfather was baptised... I realized later that he was actually baptised in a hospital but the church still wrote out the certificate. The church from what I understand is no longer open (Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, New Orleans). I'll have to do a little more research on the church and let you know what I find.
On another note, regarding the hurricanes. Since I no longer live in Louisiana, my mother keeps me posted regularly on the situation. She says parts of the city are at normal capacity and others parts still look like, in her words, a war zone. She said it's very weird to see parts of the city she usually drives to are still deserted and very quiet. Hard to believe a city like New Orleans, where parts of it, are eerily quiet. But hopefully, the city will bounce back soon.
Will let you know what I find out regarding the info request from Ft. Worth.
Julie
I just spoke to the Civil Clerk of Court in New Orleans and she had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't point me in the right direction. So I called Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge and they don't have naturalization records. She gave me the number to Missouri which wasn't correct either. Eventually, I received the number to Ft. Worth and the nice lady there said to email her all the info I know and she'll let me know what she finds out. Took me awhile to get there but I think I found the right place that may have the info I'm looking for.
As for the church my grandfather was baptised... I realized later that he was actually baptised in a hospital but the church still wrote out the certificate. The church from what I understand is no longer open (Sts. Peter and Paul Catholic Church, New Orleans). I'll have to do a little more research on the church and let you know what I find.
On another note, regarding the hurricanes. Since I no longer live in Louisiana, my mother keeps me posted regularly on the situation. She says parts of the city are at normal capacity and others parts still look like, in her words, a war zone. She said it's very weird to see parts of the city she usually drives to are still deserted and very quiet. Hard to believe a city like New Orleans, where parts of it, are eerily quiet. But hopefully, the city will bounce back soon.
Will let you know what I find out regarding the info request from Ft. Worth.
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Julie,
I believe you should have called the county clerk or is it the same as civil clerk?
Thought this may help you>
Selected LDS Family History Centers - the following family history centers in Louisiana offer the most comprehensive genealogy resources, including census records, death records, family history records, obituaries, marriage records, vital records, court records, and various other public records.:
Alexandria Louisiana
611 Versailles Blvd
Alexandria, Louisiana
(318) 448-1842
Baton Rouge Louisiana
10335 Highland Road
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
(225) 769-8913
New Orleans Louisiana
5025 Cleveland Place
Metairie, Louisiana
(504) 885-3936
Lafayette Louisiana
116 East Bluebird Drive
Lafayette, Louisiana
(318) 984-7182
I believe you should have called the county clerk or is it the same as civil clerk?
Thought this may help you>
Selected LDS Family History Centers - the following family history centers in Louisiana offer the most comprehensive genealogy resources, including census records, death records, family history records, obituaries, marriage records, vital records, court records, and various other public records.:
Alexandria Louisiana
611 Versailles Blvd
Alexandria, Louisiana
(318) 448-1842
Baton Rouge Louisiana
10335 Highland Road
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
(225) 769-8913
New Orleans Louisiana
5025 Cleveland Place
Metairie, Louisiana
(504) 885-3936
Lafayette Louisiana
116 East Bluebird Drive
Lafayette, Louisiana
(318) 984-7182
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Julie,JSaccaro wrote: I just spoke to the Civil Clerk of Court in New Orleans and she had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't point me in the right direction. So I called Louisiana State Archives in Baton Rouge and they don't have naturalization records. She gave me the number to Missouri which wasn't correct either. Eventually, I received the number to Ft. Worth and the nice lady there said to email her all the info I know and she'll let me know what she finds out. Took me awhile to get there but I think I found the right place that may have the info I'm looking for..
Julie
The link below is about Naturalization Records.
http://nutrias.org/~nopl/info/louinfo/louinfo4.htm
This is the Archives Link
http://www.sec.state.la.us/archives/arc ... ibrary.htm
Misc. Info on Louisiana
http://www.kindredtrails.com/louisiana.html
Hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Great find!!!:)jcsm400 wrote:Just did some checking and found death info for your g-grandparents.
Salvador Saccaro 82 yrs 10 Sep 1933 W 451 205
Catherine Provenzano Saccaro Mar 1939 576 212
If the poster sends for the Death Certificates, hopefully it will list the parents' names of Salvadore and Caterina.
Here's a link that will help you with death certificates of Louisiana
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/louisia.htm
Also, I found this in the Marriage information.
Name: Joseph Saccaro
Spouse: Ella Blass
Age: 22
Age: 17
Gender: M
Marriage Date: 09 Apr 1914
Volume: 36
Page: 470
Here is the information on the 1910 Census. Per this census, Salvatore and Caterina were married about 1891-1892. They had 5 children and only 3 survived. They both came in 1898 and Salvatore was listed as an Alien. Mary is listed as a grand-daughter.
Name: Salvadore Saccaro
Age in 1910: 50
Estimated birth year: abt 1860
Home in 1910: 7-Wd New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana
Neighbors: View Results
Race: White
Gender: Male
Image Source: Year: 1910; Census Place: 7-Wd New Orleans, Orleans, Louisiana; Series: T624; Roll: 521; Page: 2B; Enumeration District: 102; Part: 3; Line: 22
Still poking around
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Wishing you the best of luck in your search.......sometimes you run into the nicest people......and there are times when you run into ones who are about as helpful as a heart attack........
As for New Orleans, what happened down there was awful......haven't been there since mid 80's......my mom used to live in Wilson, outside of Baton Rouge......my favorite was touring the Antebellum homes, ..and of course...the food....
DeLisa
As for New Orleans, what happened down there was awful......haven't been there since mid 80's......my mom used to live in Wilson, outside of Baton Rouge......my favorite was touring the Antebellum homes, ..and of course...the food....
DeLisa
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Trish,
Think the census is wrong about Maria being their granddaughter
Trish wrote:
"Here is the information on the 1910 Census. Per this census, Salvatore and Caterina were married about 1891-1892. They had 5 children and only 3 survived. They both came in 1898 and Salvatore was listed as an Alien. Mary is listed as a grand-daughter."
Posted info on page two:
NEW ORLEANS, LA BIRTH RECORD INDEX:
Given: Maria
Surname: Saccaro
Father: Salvatore
Mother: Catherina Provinzana
Sex: F
Color: W
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1899
Volume: 129
Page: 1098
Think the census is wrong about Maria being their granddaughter
Trish wrote:
"Here is the information on the 1910 Census. Per this census, Salvatore and Caterina were married about 1891-1892. They had 5 children and only 3 survived. They both came in 1898 and Salvatore was listed as an Alien. Mary is listed as a grand-daughter."
Posted info on page two:
NEW ORLEANS, LA BIRTH RECORD INDEX:
Given: Maria
Surname: Saccaro
Father: Salvatore
Mother: Catherina Provinzana
Sex: F
Color: W
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1899
Volume: 129
Page: 1098
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Wldspirit
I was born in Chicago too! Lived in NW suburds til 1989
Trish
You have great state links.
Wish I had this forum when I began my Italian research. I was so lost!
I was born in Chicago too! Lived in NW suburds til 1989
Trish
You have great state links.
Wish I had this forum when I began my Italian research. I was so lost!
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi everyone,jcsm400 wrote:Hi Trish,
Think the census is wrong about Maria being their granddaughter![]()
Trish wrote:
"Here is the information on the 1910 Census. Per this census, Salvatore and Caterina were married about 1891-1892. They had 5 children and only 3 survived. They both came in 1898 and Salvatore was listed as an Alien. Mary is listed as a grand-daughter."
Posted info on page two:
NEW ORLEANS, LA BIRTH RECORD INDEX:
Given: Maria
Surname: Saccaro
Father: Salvatore
Mother: Catherina Provinzana
Sex: F
Color: W
Birth Date: 17 Apr 1899
Volume: 129
Page: 1098
I saw the child born to Salvatore too that you have listed above, but on the 1910 census, you can see it states, "grand-daughter".
Right now the poster needs "proof" to star verifying information.
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Trish,
Thanks.
Strange that on 1920 & 1930 she is listed as daughter. Makes my think that a non family member gave info on the 1910.
Like you said, the poster will have to verify.
(Smiling) jcsm
Thanks.
Strange that on 1920 & 1930 she is listed as daughter. Makes my think that a non family member gave info on the 1910.
Like you said, the poster will have to verify.
(Smiling) jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi all,
I'm beginning to get a little overwhelmed so I am going to let you all know what I have been doing to verify the information that has been given to me. Monday night I contacted NARA in Ft. Worth and gave them all of the information about Joseph Saccaro I could find. They haven't emailed me any information yet but I hope to hear from them soon. The lady I spoke with was going to let me know if she found any information on Joseph. I figured I would start with him since I know a little bit more about him.
This afternoon I sent off a request to the Louisiana State Archives about the Passenger Index on Joseph and his father Salvatore. Since Suanj already found the ship for Catherine I figured I don't need to pay for that info just yet regarding Catherine.
I also mailed a request for the marriage certificate for Joseph as well as his death certificate. I also plan to send off for Catherine and Salvatore(2x great grandfather)as well as Salvadors (my grandfather) death certificates.
Something I thought was a little strange... Regarding the 1930 census. I have it printed out and it is very difficult to read so maybe someone can verify. On line 15 we see Josephs information. In the section labeled "citzenship" he is listed as an alien with the immigration date but it looks as if someone erased that information. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Can anyone read it/? The citzenship information is clearly written for Salvador/Salvatore and Catherine which makes me wonder if he were a citizen by that time. I will also send off for Joseph's naturalization paperwork.
QUOTE "If the poster sends for the Death Certificates, hopefully it will list the parents' names of Salvadore and Caterina."
Trish, this is what I found out from Familysearch.org:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... frompage=1
I hope that link works. If it doesn't this is what it says:
Salvatore Saccaro's parents were Giuseppe (B. 1817 M. 6 Oct 1845 D. 15 Dec 1875) and Lorenza Messina (B. 18 Dec 1821). Both were from Palermo.
Giuseppe's parents were Salvatore and Anna Damiano.
Lorenza Messina's parents were Paolo and Michela Morella.
There is no way to verify if this is true until I get the death certificates which I will send off for by the end of the week.
If there is something else I need that I haven't requested I hope you will let me know.
Julie
I'm beginning to get a little overwhelmed so I am going to let you all know what I have been doing to verify the information that has been given to me. Monday night I contacted NARA in Ft. Worth and gave them all of the information about Joseph Saccaro I could find. They haven't emailed me any information yet but I hope to hear from them soon. The lady I spoke with was going to let me know if she found any information on Joseph. I figured I would start with him since I know a little bit more about him.
This afternoon I sent off a request to the Louisiana State Archives about the Passenger Index on Joseph and his father Salvatore. Since Suanj already found the ship for Catherine I figured I don't need to pay for that info just yet regarding Catherine.
I also mailed a request for the marriage certificate for Joseph as well as his death certificate. I also plan to send off for Catherine and Salvatore(2x great grandfather)as well as Salvadors (my grandfather) death certificates.
Something I thought was a little strange... Regarding the 1930 census. I have it printed out and it is very difficult to read so maybe someone can verify. On line 15 we see Josephs information. In the section labeled "citzenship" he is listed as an alien with the immigration date but it looks as if someone erased that information. Anyone have any suggestions on this? Can anyone read it/? The citzenship information is clearly written for Salvador/Salvatore and Catherine which makes me wonder if he were a citizen by that time. I will also send off for Joseph's naturalization paperwork.
QUOTE "If the poster sends for the Death Certificates, hopefully it will list the parents' names of Salvadore and Caterina."
Trish, this is what I found out from Familysearch.org:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... frompage=1
I hope that link works. If it doesn't this is what it says:
Salvatore Saccaro's parents were Giuseppe (B. 1817 M. 6 Oct 1845 D. 15 Dec 1875) and Lorenza Messina (B. 18 Dec 1821). Both were from Palermo.
Giuseppe's parents were Salvatore and Anna Damiano.
Lorenza Messina's parents were Paolo and Michela Morella.
There is no way to verify if this is true until I get the death certificates which I will send off for by the end of the week.
If there is something else I need that I haven't requested I hope you will let me know.
Julie
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
The only other thing I can think of while you wait on these documents is to locate cemetery and church records.......but you are off to a good start!!!
The hard part is the waiting!!!!!!!
Lisa
Lisa
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Julie,
The link from FamilySearch.org doesn't list it's source information. Therefore, you are doing the right thing by getting "actual" documents to prove everything.
I also found this in the WWI Draft Cards
Name: Joseph Saccaro
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1892
Race: White
Roll: 1684920
DraftBoard: 7
Name: Angelo Saccaro
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 3 Dec 1895
Race: White
Roll: 1684920
DraftBoard: 7
Per the 1930 Census for Joseph.
He lived at 2441 Decatur Street.
He owned his house.
He was married about 1914
When he came to the USA --- looks like "un" for Unknown
Salvatore per this census came in 1897 and is still an Alien
Caterina came in 1902
Also, per this census, Salvatore was born about 1851 and married about 1880. Caterina was born about 1861.
Per the 1920 census for Joseph, it states he came in 1895 and was already Naturalized by 1917.
Name: Joseph Laicars
[Joseph Saicaro]
Age: 28 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1895
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 4
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana; Roll: T625_622; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 141; Image: 4.
Coming into the Louisiana Port
Name - Date of Arrival - age, sex, status- town - ship's name
Francesca Saccaro 5 Oct 1906 22/f/m Vicari lazio
Also, did anyone notice on the next page of Caterina's manifest was a Francesca and Angelo Sccaro going to Louisiana?
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3749040127
I hope some of this helps,
Trish
The link from FamilySearch.org doesn't list it's source information. Therefore, you are doing the right thing by getting "actual" documents to prove everything.
I also found this in the WWI Draft Cards
Name: Joseph Saccaro
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 3 Apr 1892
Race: White
Roll: 1684920
DraftBoard: 7
Name: Angelo Saccaro
City: New Orleans
County: Orleans
State: Louisiana
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 3 Dec 1895
Race: White
Roll: 1684920
DraftBoard: 7
Per the 1930 Census for Joseph.
He lived at 2441 Decatur Street.
He owned his house.
He was married about 1914
When he came to the USA --- looks like "un" for Unknown
Salvatore per this census came in 1897 and is still an Alien
Caterina came in 1902
Also, per this census, Salvatore was born about 1851 and married about 1880. Caterina was born about 1861.
Per the 1920 census for Joseph, it states he came in 1895 and was already Naturalized by 1917.
Name: Joseph Laicars
[Joseph Saicaro]
Age: 28 years
Estimated birth year: abt 1892
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana
Home owned: Rent
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Head
Year of immigration: 1895
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 4
Image Source: Year: 1920; Census Place: New Orleans Ward 9, Orleans, Louisiana; Roll: T625_622; Page: 1B; Enumeration District: 141; Image: 4.
Coming into the Louisiana Port
Name - Date of Arrival - age, sex, status- town - ship's name
Francesca Saccaro 5 Oct 1906 22/f/m Vicari lazio
Also, did anyone notice on the next page of Caterina's manifest was a Francesca and Angelo Sccaro going to Louisiana?
http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 3749040127
I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Trish........you must have missed the draft images on page one.......
Lisa
Lisa
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
Hi Lisa,wldspirit wrote:Hi Trish........you must have missed the draft images on page one.......![]()
Lisa
Sorry!!!! Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes!
That's what I get for sitting here with dye in my hair.lol The fumes must have gotten to me.lol
Sorry!
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Re: Saccaro/ Provenzano Surname
You are going about this the right way, starting with what you know and obtaining documentation to confirm your leads.....
there was a Saccaro presence in New Orleans as of 1883, see the following record, they may or may not be of some relation.......that is why documentation is so important.
Name of Person Making Affidavit:
05/01/1883 Nenes [Neves?] Saccaro
Residence of Person Making Affidavit:
285 Bourbon St.
Name of Orphan Age:
Mary Saccaro 10 yrs old
Rose Saccaro 8 yrs old
Dave Saccaro 6 yrs old
How Disposed of:
Father Francesco Saccaro died on the 16th Feb 1883 The mother is unable to provide for the children. The two former Mary and Rose sent to New Orleans Female Orphan Asylum. The boy Dave sent to the St. Vinct. Infant O. Asylum
wldspirit
not stepping on toes
just didn't think you had seen the images.......
there was a Saccaro presence in New Orleans as of 1883, see the following record, they may or may not be of some relation.......that is why documentation is so important.
Name of Person Making Affidavit:
05/01/1883 Nenes [Neves?] Saccaro
Residence of Person Making Affidavit:
285 Bourbon St.
Name of Orphan Age:
Mary Saccaro 10 yrs old
Rose Saccaro 8 yrs old
Dave Saccaro 6 yrs old
How Disposed of:
Father Francesco Saccaro died on the 16th Feb 1883 The mother is unable to provide for the children. The two former Mary and Rose sent to New Orleans Female Orphan Asylum. The boy Dave sent to the St. Vinct. Infant O. Asylum
wldspirit
not stepping on toes
just didn't think you had seen the images.......


