Question about Jure Sanguinis and Naturalization.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Menefreghista
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 17
Joined: 17 Jun 2018, 22:46

Question about Jure Sanguinis and Naturalization.

Post by Menefreghista »

Hello all,

I'm a 28 year old American who is currently in the process of obtaining documents so that I can apply for Italian citizenship through my Paternal-Grandmother. My grandmother was born in Italy, and moved to the USA to marry my Grandfather, which, I understand, would make me eligible for Dual-Citizenship.

I also understand that if my grandmother was "naturalized" BEFORE the birth of my father, that it would not be possible (or, at very least, significantly harder) to obtain an Italian Passport/Dual-Citizenship.

My grandmother moved to the United States to marry my grandfather approximately 6 months to a year before the birth of my father, and my father was born in April of 1948 (Which, I believe, is good, because I'm thereby avoiding a '1948 case')

So, my question is.....What is the likelihood that she was "naturalized" during this period?

I believe, based on my limited research, that it is more likely that she obtained a "Green Card," but was not fully naturalized until some time later. Which would, in effect, mean that I am eligible for Italian Citizenship through her.

Can anyone give me some insight on the time-frame involved in the naturalization of foreigners due to marriage in the 1940s?
Post Reply