Died 17 Feb 2002, Troy, NY.
self-reported: Father - Joseph Agneta, Mother - Mary Mongello
Am specifically looking for documentation of his birth. None located so far through NYS vital records.
Legend
As a youngster he lived on Long Island in what was then Hempstead township. And indeed, except for his WWII career (Mar. '43 - July '45), lived in that Long Island area (summer home in New Milford, CT) until 1988.
No, he was not ranked a Colonel even though you will see that designation in some places. S/Sgt is correct.
Also understood from my grandmother that he had two (full) sisters. Maybe oldest a "Sofia". The other may have died in an auto accident on her honeymoon but I do not know location. Older sister lived on W. 13 St. in Manhattan and worked for the telephone company. This could be anywhere from the late 1920's through 1940's. Don't believe she married.
I have done only preliminary searching via the census but came up empty handed. My main focus up to now being Russell himself about whom I have MUCH verified information/facts beginning with his first Army enlistment in 1934 and ending with his passing in 2002.
According to my mother (deceased), "his father married three times and each time a whole new family was created" - "thus the kids could be separated in age by as much as 30 years". Hmmmm - she said lots of half-siblings, most of whom rejected him. Why, I don't exactly know.
According to my grandmother (deceased): 1) I was named for my father's great? grandmother, Katherine, "as both grandmother's were named Marie/Mary". 2) There was a Katherine Agneta living in Cambridge, MA. 3) I was taken to see her several times as an infant.
Any knowledge, thoughts on searching, etc. would be most appreciated.
This site seems to be populated by some of the most genealogically generous folks! Fascinating information and leads provided in the postings.
Thank you in advance.


