Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

amari wrote: 22 Jul 2018, 03:23 I've all but confirmed that Vincenzio's wife was maiden Maria/Mary Saraceno, that they were not living together in 1900 but were in 1905 - that was a fun one, his mother-in-law is listed as Delia Saraceno in 1900 and Delia "Sararineo" in 1905 census... transcription translation is great. :D

Now to see if I can find a marriage index!
This 1900 US Census shows Delia Saracena married to Frank Saracena, residing in Brooklyn.
They have been married for 13 years.
Listed with their children together is MARY (age 18) his step-daughter (daughter of Delia)

Since this is Mary's mother's married name, and the marriage took place after Mary was born, it is difficult to assume that Mary's maiden name was Saracena unless, of course, she just "adopted" the surname as so many did :-)


https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/76 ... PUBJs=true

T.
amari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 07:18

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by amari »

Very good call. :)

This appears to be the (slightly mangled data) marriage record for Vincenzio's mother remarrying to Antonio Conzo/Cunzo in 1899:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:24ZN-BXL

I struggle to read the handwriting... is this possibly Maria Salvatore's birth record?

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 6.jpg.html
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

The birth record is that of a female child born to Michele Salvatore and Filomena Zullo, his wife. The child's name is Maria Vincenza.

***
Found this arrival for a Vincenzo DiLauro, age 9, in 1893 at the Castle Garden site.
http://castlegarden.org/quick_search_de ... id=9057041

T.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

By WWI draft registration card no birthplace:

Vincento De Lauro
United States World War I Draft Registration Cards
Name
Vincento De Lauro
Event Type
Draft Registration
Event Date
1917-1918
Event Place
New York City no 165, New York, United States
Gender
Male
Nationality
United States
Birth Date
20 Jan 1880
Birthplace
, ,
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1968530
relative: Mary Cunzo
however the birthdate could be right and helpful..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

Mary Saracena
mentioned in the record of James Londo and Mary Saracena
Name
James Londo
Event Type
Marriage
Event Date
20 Nov 1902
Event Place
Manhattan, New York, New York, United States
Event Place (Original)
Manhattan, New York
Gender
Male
Age
23
Marital Status
Single
Race
White
Birth Year (Estimated)
1879
Birthplace
Italy
Father's Name
Nicolo
Mother's Name
Maria Salvotore
Spouse's Name
Mary Saracena
Spouse's Gender
Female
Spouse's Age
20
Spouse's Marital Status
Single
Spouse's Race
White
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated)
1882
Spouse's Birthplace
N.Y. City
Spouse's Father's Name
Frank
Spouse's Mother's Name
Julie Bua

WELL, hoping no duplicate effort, I am pretty sure right marriage record, and the groom name is mispelled...
and that is right marriage record, and that Vincenzo used James first name, but really his first name was Vincenzo and travelled with his mother Maria SALVATORE


First Name : Maria
Last Name : Salvatore
Nationality : Italy, Italian
Date of Arrival : April 21st, 1892
Age at Arrival : 33y
Gender : Female
Ship of Travel : Matteo Bruzzo
Port of Departure : Napoli
Manifest Line Number : 0972
travelling with son Vincenzo 12 old...

https://www.jewishgen.org/databases/EID ... e=manifest
so no doubts that his right ship's manifest...
the his surname could be DI LAURO..
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
amari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 07:18

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by amari »

Thank you suanj! I came to a similar conclusion when I realized the "James Cunzo" on Maria's 1900 census where she's living with her new husband... is not his son, but hers, James=Vincenzo!

I also believe that to be the correct ship manifest.

Can you tell me what's going on in this birth record? It almost seems if I squint that a Maria diLauro is the one presenting Vincenzo di Lello to be registered?
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 1.jpg.html

Born 28 MAR 1880 to Camillo di Lello and Filomena di Lello in Colledimezzo, Chieti, Abruzzo. Wondering if that's him and somehow she ended up bringing him in 1892 as her son.
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

Amari, in Italy the women never lefting maiden name, so the Maria Dilauro you found is no Maria Salvatore married Di Lauro... so Vincenzo Di Lauro was the son of Nicola Di Lauro and of Maria Salvatore... these names are right..let me a bit of free time to search...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
amari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 07:18

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by amari »

Thank you so much for the help and info! :) I have a case of children on the Irish side of my family adopted by aunt who took her name when coming with her to the US, so my brain was looking for such connections in bias. :)
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

I have done a good research and I think Vincenzo can come from the province of L'Aquila... this is by exclusion, since many births are indexed and I have checked in the probable provinces, but the only one in which we have to look for manually, ie there is no database, is L'Aquila.
The most probable option was the town of Alfedena, or some Commune near Alfedena......
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

In Alfedena the surname is DI LAURA, and that matching equally...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by bbivona »

Are you sure that this is the town your Vincenzo is from? You may be, but I didn’t see anything in the other documents posted in this thread that say definitively that he is from there. Just wondering if we should be looking in other databases
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
amari
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 07:18

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by amari »

Thank you so much suanj for your time and effort. :)

I suppose in that case who I'm looking for is:

Vincenzo Di Laura, Born 1880
Father: Nicolo Di Laura
Mother: Maria Salvatore, born 1860-1861

and his wife

Maria Saracena, Born 1881*
Father: [x] Saracena (could guess that as their second son was named Antonio, this may be her father's name?)
Mother: Maria Gallo, born 1869-71

(Maria's info found from a marriage certificate from 1 OCT 1887 as Maria Gallo to Francesco Saraceni, who I believe to be Delia and Frank, also on her death certificate:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WBR-NVX)

* Frank and Delia have very odd arrival and marriage dates on their census. Long story short, if Delia arrived in 1890, as she consistently records, when Maria was already 9, how was Maria born in New York as their census says? How did Delia marry Francesco in 1887? Only one census states Delia arrived in 1887 instead of 1890.
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by bbivona »

amari wrote: 26 Jul 2018, 02:12 Thank you so much suanj for your time and effort. :)

I suppose in that case who I'm looking for is:

Vincenzo Di Laura, Born 1880
Father: Nicolo Di Laura
Mother: Maria Salvatore, born 1860-1861

and his wife

Maria Saracena, Born 1881*
Father: [x] Saracena (could guess that as their second son was named Antonio, this may be her father's name?)
Mother: Maria Gallo, born 1869-71 Are you sure this is her mother? This would put her at age 10-12 at the birth of Maria Saracena.

(Maria's info found from a marriage certificate from 1 OCT 1887 as Maria Gallo to Francesco Saraceni, who I believe to be Delia and Frank, also on her death certificate:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WBR-NVX) So this is 6-8 years after Maria Saracena's birth. This would seem to indicate that Maria Gallo is not the mother of Maria Saracena.

* Frank and Delia have very odd arrival and marriage dates on their census. Long story short, if Delia arrived in 1890, as she consistently records, when Maria was already 9, how was Maria born in New York as their census says? How did Delia marry Francesco in 1887? Only one census states Delia arrived in 1887 instead of 1890.

Mary is listed in the 1900 census as "step-daughter" to the head of the household. That just makes the questions even weirder unless... Say the census taker comes by, Frank is at work, Delia answers the questions, and in giving the relationships answers with the relationships of the kids to her instead of to the head. It would be son/daughter, same as for Frank, for everyone except Mary, who would be Mary's step daughter. She fits way better as Frank's daughter and Mary's step daughter than as Mary's daughter. Frank is shown as arriving in the US in 1878, Mary is shown as born in NY in 1881, the marriage to Delia is shown as 1887, and Delia is shown as not arriving in the US until 1890. If Mary is Frank's daughter and Delia's stepdaughter, it explains how Mary was born in NY before Delia arrived, before Delia married Frank, and explains how Delia was only 11 years old when Mary was born. Also, in the 1910 census Delia is listed as having had 8 kids, of which 4 are still living, which would seem to be Thomas, Julia, Rose, and Anna, the four listed with her in the census.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by bbivona »

suanj wrote: 25 Jul 2018, 17:41 I have done a good research and I think Vincenzo can come from the province of L'Aquila... this is by exclusion, since many births are indexed and I have checked in the probable provinces, but the only one in which we have to look for manually, ie there is no database, is L'Aquila.
The most probable option was the town of Alfedena, or some Commune near Alfedena......
suanj
Suan
How are you determining the probable provinces? I'm probably missing a clue, but I didn't see anything that lists place of origin as other than just "Italy." Is there something indicates gli Abruzzi? I know that there are a number of provinces in other regions of Italy that are not indexed.

Brian
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Reached a wall tracing Diloura/DeLoura family back to Italy

Post by suanj »

Dear Brian,
The surnames Di Lauro or Di Laura and also exist De Lauro and the surname Salvatore are in all southern Italy and center.. But you know , and in some province particularly.. I searched in the civil records indicized, and no result, I searched handly, in the probable towns of birth, no civil records indicized, and where the surnames are present, and no success, I searched in the Liste di Leva, of many italian archives and no success, I searched the other Di Laura in New York, and I am enogh positive that the region could be Abruzzo, the province could be L' Aquila, and the town Alfedena, or Sulmona or so... But I cannoth check because no civil records of Alfedena on line after 1865./.. However my suggestion is a suggestion of a genealogist, and anyone know that I can be wrong, but very rarely. If other member can give better help, please to help.
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply