I am currently pursuing dual citizenship and I am hitting a wall in regards to some crucial information. I have read one thing from various internet sources, but received different information when I called the Italian consulate today. I’ve heard that sometimes they intentionally mislead people due to the number of applications they receive. So, I would appreciate help from people who have successfully gone through a similar process.
My great grandfather naturalized in 1937.
My grandfather was born in 1905.
Upon naturalization, applicants must sign an “Oath of Allegiance,” which I have read serves as renouncing Italian citizenship and therefore eliminates the opportunity for me pursue citizenship.
I have heard from alternative sources that because my grandfather was born before my great grandfather was naturalized, that I am still entitled to citizenship through my bloodline.
So, does naturalizing count as renouncing citizenship? And if so, am I really still eligible for citizenship or not?
Thank you so much.
NATURALIZING & RENOUNCING CITIZENSHIP
Re: NATURALIZING & RENOUNCING CITIZENSHIP
Renunciation of citizenship according to the Italian government can only officially take place at a consulate or Italian government office. Renunciation is/was very rare.
However, before 1992, citizenship was automatically lost through naturalization. When your gf was born, his Italian father had not yet naturalized, which means he received Italian citizenship through him. When your ggf naturalized in 1937, it did not affect your gf’s citizenship. (I’m assuming your grandfather was born in the US.)
Just to be clear, although the consulates are very busy, they do not deliberately mislead. If someone receives incorrect information, it is not done deliberately. However, getting a timely response from the various consulates is often difficult.
In summary, it appears you qualify Jure Sanguinis.
However, before 1992, citizenship was automatically lost through naturalization. When your gf was born, his Italian father had not yet naturalized, which means he received Italian citizenship through him. When your ggf naturalized in 1937, it did not affect your gf’s citizenship. (I’m assuming your grandfather was born in the US.)
Just to be clear, although the consulates are very busy, they do not deliberately mislead. If someone receives incorrect information, it is not done deliberately. However, getting a timely response from the various consulates is often difficult.
In summary, it appears you qualify Jure Sanguinis.
-
rgzaccaria
- Newbie

- Posts: 2
- Joined: 26 Jul 2018, 01:51
Re: NATURALIZING & RENOUNCING CITIZENSHIP
Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate the information and verification!
