Cereghino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
jennyc
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 31 Jul 2008, 08:04

Cereghino

Post by jennyc »

Well Hello to everyone.
I am looking for info about a relative born in Genoa, Itahan, Italy, in 1841-43, Nicholas Cereghino. would like to find parents, siblings.
He moved to Ireland ( dont know when?) and married Rose, had some children and moved to England ( dont know when?)
can anyone help fill in the blanks.
thanks
jennyc :
User avatar
Seraphina
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 186
Joined: 25 Apr 2008, 15:32

Re: Cereghino

Post by Seraphina »

Hi Jenny,

Have you searched on the UK Births, Marriages, Deaths, or Census?

Did a quick search for the surname Cereghino on Familysearch and there are quite a few listed in the Manchester area.

Hope this helps.

Seraphina
England
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Cereghino

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jenny there is a paying website (name checks are free and worth it if name and location look promising to you) at www.findmypast.com. I don't have time to do any cursory checks at the moment so you can start on your own. =Peter=
PeterTimber
Master
Master
Posts: 6811
Joined: 16 Dec 2007, 18:57
Location: Yonkers NY

Re: Cereghino

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear jenny I did a quick check and he and his family is listed free of charge..Nicoholas born 1845 Genova into ceramics I think and a whole slew of kids.. Try for birth record in Genova..=Peter=
User avatar
AndyC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 13 Nov 2008, 08:33

Re: Cereghino

Post by AndyC »

Hi JennyC

I am (as it seems) the last descendent of the Cereghino family of Genoa.
My father was the last Cereghino to be born in Genova.

If you want some info I might be able to provide you some (no promise, though, as it seems the old family members spread quite a lot)
You can reach me at s1ngular1ty@hotmail.co.uk (and no, am not in UK...)

Regards

Andrea C.
Shelly
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 09 Aug 2018, 09:48

Re: Cereghino

Post by Shelly »

I have discovered Nicholas and Rose Cerighino (neeMcAllister) on my family tree. I was born in Manchester,where they settled after moving from ireland with their children. I see Jenni's enquiry was posted 10 years ago. Just wondering how well you fared in your search.perhaps i can help with info on 20th century family in manchester ?
DanielJC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 16:17

Re: Cereghino

Post by DanielJC »

Hi all. I have also found Nicholas and Rose on my family tree (my great great grandfather and mother respectively). I am really keen to find out where in Italy Nicholas was born, he doesn't appear in the records at the rough time and place I expected ( around 1841-44 in Favale di Malvaro). Has anyone had any luck?
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Cereghino

Post by Tessa78 »

DanielJC wrote: 13 Jan 2019, 17:13 Hi all. I have also found Nicholas and Rose on my family tree (my great great grandfather and mother respectively). I am really keen to find out where in Italy Nicholas was born, he doesn't appear in the records at the rough time and place I expected ( around 1841-44 in Favale di Malvaro). Has anyone had any luck?


Here is a POSSIBLE birth/baptism record for Nicolo Cereghino in Favale
#41

Dated 27 August 1838 at the Parish of San Vincenzo Martire in the town of Favale.
Presented at the church was a male child born on the 27th of August at 9 AM, son of Giuseppe Cereghino [son of deceased Nicolo'], miller residing in Favale, and of Cattarina Valente [daughter of deceased Carlo], weaver residing in Favale with her spouse Cereghino.
The child was given the name Nicolo' Francesco Genezio.
Godfather was Pietro Cordano [son of Giovanni Maria], farmer residing in Favale; and godmother was Rosa Cereghino [daughter of deceased Nicolo'] weaver, residing in Favale.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 8.jpg.html

T.
DanielJC
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 2
Joined: 10 Nov 2018, 16:17

Re: Cereghino

Post by DanielJC »

Hi Tessa

Thanks for the quick response. However I have been in touch with the favale connection website researchers, and apparently that Nicolo Cereghino was still in Favale, and had children, the same time as my ancestor was living in Ireland/UK. He also apparently died in Favale not Manchester UK as the person I am seeking.

Any further pointers much appreciated!
gstaral
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Mar 2025, 18:51

Re: Cereghino

Post by gstaral »

For anyone looking for NICHOLAS CEREGHINO born near Genoa about 1841-1843 and immigrated to Manchester, England. Our organization (The Favale Connection) has done a complete record extraction of the San Vincenzo parish in Favale di Malvaro, where Nicolo is suspected to have been born.

I've helped the descendants look in the Manchester, England documents, and it appears his age in the census records is not advancing properly to give an accurate and consistent birth year.

There are possibilities in our database with the name Nicolo, but the one born in 1838 married a Repetto woman, and then died in Favale in 1911.

The best advice I gave, to descendants that contacted me, was for the family was to take the ancestry.com DNA test (which someone did), and one of the descendants was DNA matched to a tree with a Rosa Cereghino born about 1852 and died in 1947 in San Francisco, CA. Unfortunately the tree owner gave Rosa the wrong parents. The Manchester, England family already told me Nicholas has a sister that went to the USA, and this seemed a good possibility to be his sister. But... searching in our database for a sibling combination provided no results.

My conclusion was the following:
1- Nicholas Cereghino that went to Manchester - we do not have an accurate estimation of birth year.
2 - Possibly Nicholas was born in a town near Favale, which is highly possible since I cannot place him with a sister named Rosa born about 1852.
3 - My best advice is for MORE of the OLDEST descendants of Nicholas to take the ancestry.com DNA test, and collaborate with each other.

Best wishes,
The Favale Connection
Post Reply