First, let me say this site has been such a great help and has unlocked pretty much all of my family history before they landed in America! So thank you again!
I am trying to find the birth record of my 3rd great grandfather, Giovanni Gagliano, who was born in Napoli, most likely in Porto or Pendino, around 1788. But I see on FamilySearch that the general Napoli records aren't published for that time frame. I see there are church records that cover that year, but not sure which parish. Would anyone have info on that?
A little more backstory...I don't think that I'm a descendant of the Gagliano violin family, but something has me curious. My ancestor's marriage record is listed here, 5th one from top: https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... %3Anapoli~.
Giovanni's father is listed as Nicola. (One of the famous Gagliano violin makers at this time was Nicola.) And Giovanni's mother is listed as Fortunata Smitto.
Around the same time, give or take some years, is another Nicola and Fortunata, but this time Fortunata's last name is Milano, 6th one from top. https://www.familysearch.org/search/rec ... e%3Anapoli. That is the violin family. So we have Nicola Gagliano and two Fortunatas. Granted some names were very popular, but this seems a bit uncanny to me.
I figure if I can find Giovanni's birth record, that will provide evidence as to whether I'm part of the violin family or not.
Any help is appreciated!!
Grazie mille!!

