Handwritten Birth Registration

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
nicolep
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 24
Joined: 04 Sep 2018, 18:58

Re: Handwritten Birth Registration

Post by nicolep »

bbivona wrote: 17 Sep 2018, 00:41
nicolep wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 21:37
Thank you for this. I was really struggling with "civico spedale nel quale" for some reason.

I think it was spedale that threw me off as that isn't a translation I know for "hospital" but I suppose it could have just been miswritten. Or an old translation.
Hi Nicole

Spedale would have been correct at the time. It is an archaic spelling for ospedale. Sometimes you also see similar versions of the word when dialect creeps. In Sicilian records I've occasionally seen spitali, which is the Sicilian word for hospital.
That definitely makes sense and confirmed my suspicion. So very helpful!
Post Reply