Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by AllisonJordan »

I am searching for my great grandfather’s birth record and family. I have quite a few documents in the USA that say he was from Riva (city), several documents say he was from Trentino (region) and one document says he was from Tranto. Looking at a map I see Riva del Garda is in Trento, Trentino-Alto. His name in the US was Joseph Peter Maffi. His marriage certificate (in the US) was Pietro Maffi. I wrote to the diocese in Riva del Garda to see if I could procure his birth record along with his birthday 5 May 1982, but they said they did not see anyone with the last name Maffi in all of Trento for 50 years before or after his birthday. Any suggestions on what I should do?!? I am at a loss. Thank you so much!
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by ffusiak »

I see some church records for Riva, Trento listed at Family Search but they have not been digitalized to date.

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library

PS: Is his birthdate correct in the above posting?
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by AllisonJordan »

Thanks for sending the church records. Sorry! I reversed the year, May 5, 1892! 😂
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by AllisonJordan »

I followed the link you sent, but I don’t see any files when I follow the links. Am I missing something? Thanks for your response, ffusiak.
paola52
Elite
Elite
Posts: 427
Joined: 24 Sep 2012, 13:47
Location: Varese, Italy

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by paola52 »

Hi Allison
Have you tried this site?

http://www.natitrentino.mondotrentino.n ... tino/23739
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
ffusiak
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 237
Joined: 01 Jun 2015, 15:28
Location: USA: New Jersey

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by ffusiak »

AllisonJordan wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 19:41 I followed the link you sent, but I don’t see any files when I follow the links. Am I missing something? Thanks for your response, ffusiak.
There are no files only microfilm records - they have not been digitalized for viewing. FamilySearch is in the process of digitalizing all their microfilms - you will need to check back or check with them is there any timetable for this film.
User avatar
mmogno
Master
Master
Posts: 4676
Joined: 14 Mar 2016, 22:29

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by mmogno »

Do you know the names of the parents of Pietro Maffi?
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦
🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AllisonJordan
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 6
Joined: 14 Jan 2019, 16:19

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by AllisonJordan »

Hey, yes! His father was Carlo and his mother was Rosa DaLesandra. I tried the link that Paola sent, but I cannot find him. I am at a loss here!
auricco54
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Feb 2023, 16:10

Re: Maffi - Riva, Trentino

Post by auricco54 »

I think that your ancestor's real name is MAFFEI, a name present in Riva and in Trentino.
Post Reply