Rosaria Majoranamcappello wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 20:04 Does it show Carmelo’s mothers name anywhere? I cannot locate her name.
Mazza family from Ragusa
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
I guess it was more common than today, as nowadays (in Italy) you wouldn't be sentenced to life prison for attempted murder.mcappello wrote: 22 Jan 2019, 20:04 Gosh that criminal sentence is several pages long. Was being sentenced to hard labor for life common in those days? Or do I just have a crazy grandfather lol.
Penalty was harder, for him, as he had already been sentenced to prison twice, in 1845 (6 years) and 1856 (12 years). In 1860 he had escaped from prison after the trouble for the conquer of Southern Italy by the Italian (Piemontese) Army.
The last sentence is of 1863, when he was 35. He had stolen 40 sheaves of hay, and 2 rifles. Two weeks later, he had shot a man, who luckily survived.
His wife must have suffered a lot...
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
wow! Sounds like very tough times for the family back then.
I am now searching for Carmelo Mazza's birth certificate. Based off his death certificate he was 40 when he died in the year 1865. I am looking through the birth certificates from the year 1825. Should I be looking elsewhere? or is this the year and place to look?
I am now searching for Carmelo Mazza's birth certificate. Based off his death certificate he was 40 when he died in the year 1865. I am looking through the birth certificates from the year 1825. Should I be looking elsewhere? or is this the year and place to look?
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
So I just searched 1825 and could not find Carmelo Mazza's birth 
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
I believe I just found it here! http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Re: Mazza family from Ragusa
Very good! Remember that age is almost always approximate, expecially in death records!mcappello wrote: 24 Jan 2019, 04:26 I believe I just found it here! http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.

