Mother's Birth certificate JS

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
jman1995
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Feb 2019, 04:41

Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by jman1995 »

Hi all! I recently discovered through my family tree that I may be eligible for Italian citizenship through my mother's paternal line. None of my family naturalized or renounced citizenship and my mother was born in 1965. However I have a problem... My grandparents were never married and my grandmother never added my grandfather's name to my mother's birth certificate. Is there anything I can do in lieu of this to establish my family line or am I buggered? There is little chance of amending the birth records as my mother does not have a relationship with her father. I may be able to get official statements from her uncle and her half sister potentially. Any and all help appreciated...

All the best
Jack
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by mler »

If you were using you mom’s maternal line, you would be fine; but the paternal line is problematic for two reasons—your grandparents were not married, and your grandfather’s name is not on your mother’s birth certificate. These are both problems that may well be impossible to circumvent. I doubt statements from other relatives would be sufficient to establish paternity.
jman1995
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Feb 2019, 04:41

Re: Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by jman1995 »

mler wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 15:01 If you were using you mom’s maternal line, you would be fine; but the paternal line is problematic for two reasons—your grandparents were not married, and your grandfather’s name is not on your mother’s birth certificate. These are both problems that may well be impossible to circumvent. I doubt statements from other relatives would be sufficient to establish paternity.

Thank you for the help! Interestingly I have also discovered that my mother's step father who was married to my grandmother and acting in loco parentis is also of italian decent. Evidently my grandmother had a type! My step grandfather's mother's father was born in Lombardia in 1864. I'm not sure if I would be able to claim citizenship through this providing that I could prove that nobody naturalised...
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by mler »

Was she adopted.
jman1995
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: 03 Feb 2019, 04:41

Re: Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by jman1995 »

mler wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 17:05 Was she adopted.
No. However she did take his last name and her marriage certificate is under this name also. I could probably get it amended so that legally he would be her father and appear on a revised birth certificate if need be...
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Mother's Birth certificate JS

Post by mler »

This is a situation that is unfortunate (because based on lineage you should qualify). However, a similar situation was discussed on another forum. Even if your gf acknowledged paternity, that fact that your mother is now an adult would make it difficult to apply through that line.

Had your mother been legally adopted, that might have been a possibility, but simply amending the birth certificate would not be acceptable. His name on her birth certificate does not make him her legal father. This would be a major issue at the consulate. It would be easy to see that your mother’s birth preceded your grandparent’s marriage.

This is a long shot at best.
Post Reply