Will records for Uncle work for my wife JS application and questions about citizenship through marriage.

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
Benjantzi
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: 23 Feb 2019, 03:43

Will records for Uncle work for my wife JS application and questions about citizenship through marriage.

Post by Benjantzi »

Hello,
I have a few different questions.
I am working on compiling paperwork for my wife to claim citizenship through her great grandfather. Her uncle has already obtained citizenship although her mother (the uncles sister) has not. it is my understanding that all of his paperwork will be on file in the SF consulate where my wife will also be applying. Is there anything that she will need to bring to link her paperwork to her uncles original documentation ( we have photocopies of everything but some stuff is incredibly difficult to obtain)? The other question is, if I want to obtain citizenship through marriage, should I bring my paperwork as well? I am trying to avoid the hassle of getting another consulate appointment. I have also read that I need to have a B1 level ability in Italian but I have been unable to find any reference to this on the consulate website. can anyone confirm?
Thanks to everyone in advance!
User avatar
mler
Master
Master
Posts: 2515
Joined: 01 Apr 2006, 00:00

Re: Will records for Uncle work for my wife JS application and questions about citizenship through marriage.

Post by mler »

If she is applying at the same consulate, her uncle’s records will be on file. She will, of course, have to add documents from her parents, which would not be included in her uncle’s file.

Your application cannot begin until your wife’s citizenship is officially recognized, so your documents will not be required. And, yes, you will need to demonstrate B1 proficiency in Italian.
Post Reply