Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
clindberg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 17:06

Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by clindberg »

Hi,
I am looking for information about my great grandmother. She listed her name as Louise Bartolome Dr Ocello on her marriage certificate (she was married in Milwaukee, WI). She was born in May, 1861 in Mezzanego, Liguria, Genoa. She was orphaned as a child and the family story is that her parents were killed during a time of civil unrest and she was raised by a women who took in orphans. Recently the story change to Louise possibly being raised by her uncle. I would like to find her birth parent's names but I am unsure if Bartolome Dr Ocello is her birth last name, her adoptive last name, or a combination of both. Does anyone have knowledge of Italian surnames as it pertains to orphans? How would you suggest I find her birth parent's names?

Thanks
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

it looks like the first name had another name added, no the maiden name of Luisa, but another male name: Bartolomeo Doctor Ocello= Doctor Bartolomeo OCELLO.. why I don't know, but she used a person's name as her own. at the same time a Beatrice Ocello, also married in Wisconsin, and has a father named Bartolomeo OCELLO. And it can't be a coincidence. So either Luisa was an illegitimate Bartolomeo's daughter, or she had grown up as an orphan, never adopted at this Bartolomeo's house. Sometimes wealthy families took girls from orphanages and kept them as servants.
just my suggestion,
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by rlw254 »

Name Giovanni Baccigalop
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 27 Feb 1881
Event Place Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Event Place Milwaukee Co., Wisconsin
Gender Male
Father's Name Giambattista Baccigalop
Mother's Name Colombia Musante
Spouse's Name Luigia Ocella
Spouse's Gender Female
Spouse's Father's Name Berto Ocella
Spouse's Mother's Name Angela Bugiana

This them?

Don't see the name 'Ocella' in Mezzanego records but there is 'Uccello'.

Bartolomeo Uccello age 50 and his wife Angela Boggiana age 40 had a child Domenico on 1 Dec 1875 in Mezzanego. These are clearly the parents from the above record.

The differences in the names you're seeing (especially 'Dr' - there's no such thing) comes from mis-transcription of sloppy handwriting or the scribe hearing incorrectly. Without seeing the actual record it could very well be written 'di Bartolomeo Uccello' rather than Bartolome Dr Ocello.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
clindberg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 17:06

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by clindberg »

Thank you. Yes this record is from my great-grandparents wedding. My mother has a hand written copy and it lists the wife's last name as Bartolome Dr Ocello. But I suppose that could be the name of the father of the bride and it was just written in the wrong place. Louisa was orphaned as a child and when she moved to Milwaukee, she worked and lived in a boarding house with Berto Ocello and Angela Buggiano. Some in the family believe that Berto was her uncle. I have never found any information about them before, but I was not using the Ucello spelling. Thank you again. Is there an online resource for birth and death records for Mezzanego for the 1860s?

Cathy
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by rlw254 »

That information come from here: https://www.familysearch.org/search/fil ... at=1494911
Earliest birth record on familysearch are from 1872 - nothing on Antenati - so you might have to contact the local archives.
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

without to find the ship's manifest of Lugia arrival, it is no possible to know her Birth surname… it needs to know the name used to go in USA...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

Barto Yccello
United States Census, 1920
Name Barto Yccello
Event Type Census
Event Date 1920
Event Place Wauwatosa, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Gender Male
Age 75
Marital Status Single
Race White
Race White
Relationship to Head of Household Inmate
Relationship to Head of Household Inmate
Birth Year (Estimated) 1845
Birthplace France
Immigration Year 1895
Father's Birthplace France
Mother's Birthplace France
Sheet Letter B
Sheet Number 4

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1488411
it could be the same possible father of Luigia.. the his Birth is in France but in the past many the boundaries between France and Italy was differents…
the Death:
Bartholo Uccello
California Death Index
Name
Bartholo Uccello
Event Type
Death
Event Date
07 Jun 1933
Event Place
, Alameda, California, United States
Gender
Unknown
Age
84
Birth Year (Estimated)
1849
Certificate Number
30839

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

clindberg wrote: 03 May 2019, 05:09 Thank you. Yes this record is from my great-grandparents wedding. My mother has a hand written copy and it lists the wife's last name as Bartolome Dr Ocello. But I suppose that could be the name of the father of the bride and it was just written in the wrong place. Louisa was orphaned as a child and when she moved to Milwaukee, she worked and lived in a boarding house with Berto Ocello and Angela Buggiano. Some in the family believe that Berto was her uncle. I have never found any information about them before, but I was not using the Ucello spelling. Thank you again. Is there an online resource for birth and death records for Mezzanego for the 1860s?

Cathy
I believe that many confusion are in the family rumor…
I posted abt a Bartolomeo Uccello born around 1845 in liguria region also( Genova is the capital of Liguria region) and in a commune pertaing in the birthyear to France.. well this is a Bartolomeo Uccello. He was no the husband of angela and he was no the father of luigia.
So, I searched and it was another Bartolomeo Uccello in Wisconsin, and he is no the father of your Luigia also. BUT for some reason the his name and his mother maiden name was used from Luigia.

Bartolomeo Costantino Uccello was born in MEZZANEGO on 1th july 1870 son of Giuseppe Uccello, farmer, and Angela Boggiano, housewife, all residing in Mezzanego


https://i.postimg.cc/7YBJ5jL7/bartolome ... -birth.jpg
and the name and of his mother name cannot be a coincidence.. Luigia used these names...
here Bartolomeo on 1900 census:
Bartolaineo Uccello
United States Census, 1900
Name
Bartolaineo Uccello
Event Type
Census
Event Year
1900
Event Place
Milwaukee city Ward 3, Precintct 3, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States
Gender
Male
Age
30
Marital Status
Single
Race
White
Race
W
Relationship to Head of Household
Boarder
Relationship to Head of Household
Boarder
Birth Date
Jul 1870
Birthplace
Italy
Immigration Year
1895
Father's Birthplace
Italy
Mother's Birthplace
Italy

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=1325221
and no doubts that the Bartolomeo Uccello appearing on 1900 census is the same on the birth record posted...
So why Luigia, mixed names and said that he was a doctor is a mystery… just finding her arrival we can know her maiden name.. and by 1900 census we can know and to search…
best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
rlw254
Master
Master
Posts: 592
Joined: 27 Oct 2018, 00:22

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by rlw254 »

Giovanni Uccello Immigration 09 Jul 1902 Ellis Island, New York City, New York, United States Mezzanego Male 34 Married Italy, Italian 1868 Naples

Going to visit his brother Bartolomeo in Milwaukee with his wife Luigia age 28 and son Virgilio age 1.

Can you post the handwritten record that you have?
Apricena, Caltanissetta, Grottolella, Mazzarino, Montefredane, Salerno, San Severo, Vasto
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

Here the marriage COGORNO 12 Aug 1899 (transcript of marriage record in Mezzanego)

Groom: Giovanni UCCELLO 31 old, born and residing in Mezzanego, son of Giuseppe Uccello, residing in America and of Angela Boggiano residing in Mezzanego

Bride: Luigia GARIBALDI, 21 old, farmer, born and residing in Cogorno, daughter of late Pietro Garibaldi, and of alive Geronima Lavagna residing in Cogorno.
https://i.postimg.cc/4NfDMxk6/giovanni- ... rriage.jpg

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

Giovanni Uccello Birth: Mezzanego 10 apr 1868, son of Giuseppe and of Angela Boggiano https://i.postimg.cc/VNs5kbhK/uccello-g ... -birth.jpg
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by suanj »

Bartolomeo Uccello was no doctor and was not the father of Luigia…
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
clindberg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 17:06

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by clindberg »

Thank you for all your work looking up these records. I never expected this kind of response. I spoke with my Mother today and hope to post the written marriage certificate for Louisa where her last name is listed as Bartolome Dr Ocello but it may take a while. I also asked my mom about the family story that Louisa was orphaned and she does not know how old Louisa was when this happened. She also does not remember Louisa ever talking about siblings, but she did talk about the other adoptive kids where she was living. She also remembers Louisa talking about her cousin in Italy who would send her the local mushrooms she missed. I don't believe that Angela Boggiano and Bartolome Uccello were Louisa's birth parents even though they are listed as such on her marriage certificate because they were alive and in Milwaukee when Louisa got married. I wonder if Bartolome was a relative like an Uncle since she used his last name. Or he could be related to the adoptive family. Is Uccello a common name in Mezzanego?

Thanks again!
amycorbisier
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 1
Joined: 26 Sep 2019, 08:52

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by amycorbisier »

Hello - We are in process of tracing our family tree. I saw the posting of my Great Grandparents - Giovanni Uccello and Luigia Garibaldi. Giovanni traveled from Genoa to stay in Milwaukee WI with his brother Bartolomeo, returned to Italy, and brought his young wife and first son (Virgilio) We have had many challenges tracing the family - as their names changed several times, becoming more and more Americanized over the years. Giovanni died in 1923 in an automobile accident (struck by 2 vehicles while walking near Waukesha WI) He had used the name Victor Uccello and eventually went by the name Charles Victoria.
clindberg
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 11
Joined: 28 Mar 2019, 17:06

Re: Bartolome Dr Ocello surname

Post by clindberg »

Hi Amy. Thank you for responding. The Ocello line in my family tree has hit a dead end and your information may have opened it a bit. From what I have seen, Uccello appears to be the more correct spelling. I don't know much about Bartolome Ocello other than he went by the name Barto and that he and his wife Angela Bugiano ran a boarding house in Milwaukee. My great grandfather Giovanni Bacigalupe lived in the boarding house in the late 1870's and met his future wife, Luigia Ocello there when she came to visit. Giovanni and Luigia married in 1881.

I know that Luigia had a sister named Mary Ucello who went by the nickname Lalla. She lived in Chicago and married a man named Luigi Aiani. My problem is that we are unclear if the name Ocello/Uccello is Luigia's birth name or an adoptive name. Luigia was orphaned as a child. I don't know her parent's names. The only link I have is Barto Ocello and Angela Bugiano listed on her marriage certificate. They were alive when she married so they were not her birth parents. But Barto could have been an uncle or cousin. Thanks to you, now I know he had a brother. Have you heard of the family taking in orphans in Italy? Do you have any other sibling or parent information for Giovanni Uccello?

Thanks,
Cathy
Post Reply