Hello,
I am preparing to claim Italian citizenship through my great grandfather. I have managed to obtain all of the required documents except for my grandfather's birth certificate. He was born on a farm in New York State during the 1910's and was not issued a birth certificate. I have a copy of his Certificate of Baptism, which states his place and date of birth, as well as the names of his parents. However, I was informed today by a representative at the Boston consulate that a Certificate of Baptism is unacceptable and that I must obtain a certified copy of a delayed birth certificate from the New York State Vital Records Office. I then called the Vital Records Office and was informed that only my grandfather or his parents would be eligible to request a delayed birth certificate. Since all are deceased, it is impossible for me to obtain it, according to the Vital Records Office.
Has anyone successfully submitted an alternate document, or combination of documents, to the Boston Consulate in place of a missing birth certificate? I am afraid that this is a dead end for me.
Thank you.
