I am the descendent of a Joseph (Giuseppi) Turcotti of Varallo, Val de Sesia, Novarese, formerly of the Northen Kingdom of Sardinia. He had come to the US in the late 1700's and was a widower of Maria La Salarie (sp? possibly French Louisiana spelling) who he probably married in Italy. His father was Joseph Turcotti and mother Maria Exiciaque (?) or Egisieh (?) One spelling from the marriage and one from their child's baptism either French or Spanish priest writing the supposed Italian surname. From his death record in New York he was 55 in 1813 placing his birth year around 1758. He married again in New Orleans to Anne Julie St. Hilaire of Paris, France.
Unfortunately, there is no record of what parish he was from in Varallo.
I would like to go back further. Looking for suggestions on who to write in Varallo for possible marriage to La Salarie, his baptism, his parents birth, marriage and death. Also looking for suggestions of a possible form letter in Italian I can use to send to the city mayor, local priest or diocese. Thanks.
Turcotti
Re: Turcotti
Exiciaque/Egisieh sounds a bit like a French priest's phonetic spelling of an Italian name like Egizia.
Re: Turcotti
A name that was used at that time is "Egiziaca"
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Egiziaca
https://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Egiziaca
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Re: Turcotti
I realize that the original post is now six years old, but I just came across it and I’m excited about this information. I am descended from a Julia or Juliette Turcotti, born in New Orleans in 1810 and died in New Orleans August 30, 1883. She married Henry Lathrop, a native of Connecticut who moved to New Orleans sometime in the 1830s. They are my great great great grandparents. Julia/Juliette recorded in a Census document that her father, Joseph Turcotti was from “Italy.” No further detail was given. (In various New Orleans documents, her last name is also spelled “Turcotte”.) That was a fascinating discovery, as my family was unaware of any Italian ancestors. Since I made this discovery several weeks ago, I have been unable to learn anything more about Julia‘s parents.If indeed, she was the daughter of the Joseph Turcotti referred to below, he would have fathered her in his 50s. The fact that his second wife was named Julie is an additional clue. In any case, I would welcome any further information about him. Thanks for any help. Jim Amoss.
Re: Turcotti
I could help you about your research of Joseph (Giuseppe, as Italian name) Turcotti.
-
revhardheaded
- Newbie

- Posts: 3
- Joined: 24 Jun 2019, 17:49
Re: Turcotti
So I found some old letters I received from Turcottis in Italy. One is a page he sent me. I believe my ancestor is the Giuseppe bn. 1757 but he died in New York or it is possible my ancestor is another Giuseppe bn. 1758 but isn't listed here. The mother's last name if very close to the Spanish and French renditions of his mother's name on his marriage and baptismal records of his children.
The second link is what he wrote on the back which might be helpful.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7wlzrjrr ... wuats&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6bhip58o ... 5eztg&dl=0
The second link is what he wrote on the back which might be helpful.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/7wlzrjrr ... wuats&dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/6bhip58o ... 5eztg&dl=0
Re: Turcotti
Thank you very much.
Of course I can help you researching about your ancestor Giuseppe Turcotti.
Please contact me.
Of course I can help you researching about your ancestor Giuseppe Turcotti.
Please contact me.
Re: Turcotti
On the second link it is written so.
My mother was the sister of Eugenio Turcotti, recently deceased, to whom you sent the letter.
I send you this document, hoping to be helpful, so in the same time also I got deeper into my ancestors' research.
I can give you further informations.
PS. Also my grandfather was Giuseppe Turcotti.
(on the left page) PS Sardegna because in that time he was so called because of the Kigdom of Sardinia, probably not because the island of Sardinia.
My mother was the sister of Eugenio Turcotti, recently deceased, to whom you sent the letter.
I send you this document, hoping to be helpful, so in the same time also I got deeper into my ancestors' research.
I can give you further informations.
PS. Also my grandfather was Giuseppe Turcotti.
(on the left page) PS Sardegna because in that time he was so called because of the Kigdom of Sardinia, probably not because the island of Sardinia.


