My great grandfather was one of my children that were abandoned in Italy in the late 1800s. I was able to find his birth record (Arturo Paggetti) in Bergamo, Italy. I also know that, for at least some time, he lived with a family called the Froscio family. I believe the parents were Domenic(o?) and Assunta. There were at least three children: Angelo, Rita, and Maria.
What I know to be true:
Arturo Paggetti was, for at least part of his youth in Italy, living with the Froscio family
The Froscio family was made up of a father named Domenic, a mother named Assunta, and three children: Angelo, Rita, and Maria
Angelo was born 18 SEP 1891 in Mello, Italy
What I think might be true
I believe they lived in or around Como
I believe Domenic(o?) Froscio was born around 1871
I believe Rita and Maria remained in Italy.
I am hoping to confirm any details about the Froscio family and, if they might exist, know what records might exist to validate Arturo's placement with them. I've tried searching the online records but, as I don't speak Italian, I find it difficult to verify I am looking at the correct details. Any help or direction would be appreciated!
Help Requested
Re: Help Requested
Here is the publication of Marriage banns for Domenico Froscio and Assunta Quaini in Mello in 1888.
Domenico was age 33 (so born about 1855), single, a farmer, Son of deceased Giovanni Froscio and of living Maria DiSimoni.
Assunta was age 26, a farmer, single, daughter of living Andrea Quaini and of deceased Maria Bighileri(?).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043841
T.
Domenico was age 33 (so born about 1855), single, a farmer, Son of deceased Giovanni Froscio and of living Maria DiSimoni.
Assunta was age 26, a farmer, single, daughter of living Andrea Quaini and of deceased Maria Bighileri(?).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043841
T.
Re: Help Requested
That is so helpful, thank you! This was one of the big documents I was looking for but could not find. I knew he had been married to a woman named Assunta as Domenico's granddaughter, who now lives in the US, mentioned she is named Sue after her grandmother, Assunta. The only record I was able to find, however, was a Domenico who married someone named Teresa Cavalli in 1894.
This site has been so immensely helpful and full of fascinating reading. Because my great grandfather was abandoned and neither his mother or father were named, he is sort of a mystery to us and so I've been trying to put together the puzzle pieces of his life before he came to the US.
I know Italian town clerks often had (and have!) incredibly complete sets of vital records. Do you happen to know if, at the time, they would have kept placement or "adoption" records for children that were abandoned and later placed with families? Right now so much of this is through word of mouth. My connection to the Froscio family remembers an "uncle" Art and one of Art's daughters remembers her parents writing to an Angelo Froscio back east. I'd love some documentation to back up this connection, or find out if it is even what we think it is!
This site has been so immensely helpful and full of fascinating reading. Because my great grandfather was abandoned and neither his mother or father were named, he is sort of a mystery to us and so I've been trying to put together the puzzle pieces of his life before he came to the US.
I know Italian town clerks often had (and have!) incredibly complete sets of vital records. Do you happen to know if, at the time, they would have kept placement or "adoption" records for children that were abandoned and later placed with families? Right now so much of this is through word of mouth. My connection to the Froscio family remembers an "uncle" Art and one of Art's daughters remembers her parents writing to an Angelo Froscio back east. I'd love some documentation to back up this connection, or find out if it is even what we think it is!
Re: Help Requested
You may wish to read this article about the abandoned.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/articl ... e-marriage
T.
https://www.italiangenealogy.com/articl ... e-marriage
T.
Re: Help Requested
Thanks, Tessa. I have seen that and I've read quite a bit about these children. What I haven't seen much information about (and honestly, I'm a bit surprised by this!) is records when they were placed with families. Given how well documented the vital records tend to be in Italy compared to many other countries, I'd have expected to be able to find more on this.
Thank you again for all of your help!
Thank you again for all of your help!

