How do I correct the name on my grandfather's death certificate?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Post Reply
guidoboston
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 13
Joined: 02 Aug 2019, 15:10

How do I correct the name on my grandfather's death certificate?

Post by guidoboston »

Hi,
My paternal grandfather died in Baltimore in the 1970s. The name on his death certificate (I have a certified copy) was his "Americanized" first name that he used his entire life, not the "Italian" name as shown on his birth certificate. (He was born in Baltimore and I have a certified copy of that, too). MD law requires that changes on death certificates more than 3 years old require a court order to direct Vital Records to make the change.
I would like the court to order the death certificate corrected, to show his legal name for my JS application. I live out of state so this is not easy for me to do in person. Can I do this without a lawyer and without being there (by mail or email)? I think the court may want his siblings (my aunts/uncles) to agree to this change - anyone have experience with knowing if that is the case?
Thanks in advance,
Guido
Post Reply