Looking for Lamaina

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Tessa78 »

Nick_Lamaine wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 20:48 Hello, I have been getting better at reading the records you sent me the links to. On the birth site years 1816 - 1820 I see a Lamaina, (can't make out first name-looks like) Lorocenzo. Maybe you can make out the first name. Also, it has Eletto after the name. Do you know what this means?
Please post the link to this birth act you are viewing.

T.
Kristin676
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 76
Joined: 24 Oct 2016, 05:30

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Kristin676 »

Hello Nick,

I think we might be related. my 3x great grandfather was Francesco Antonio Pintozzi. He had a son named Gaudenzio Pintozzi and Vincenzo Pintozzi who was my 2x great grandfather. Francesco Antonio was married to a Diodata Lamaina. Her Father was Innocenzio Lamaina. If you would like to share information you can email me at kristin1788@verizon.net. By the way, Vincenzo settled in Camden, NJ. Reading down on your post. It is very possible your family member and mine could be cousins.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

This is from the list of sites you gave me.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... i/1816/26/
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Tessa78 »

Nick_Lamaine wrote: 28 Sep 2019, 23:36 This is from the list of sites you gave me.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... i/1816/26/
You had me puzzled for a bit...

I looked at the index for the year you linked. There were no Lamaina births.

Then it occurred to me - you were looking at the first record and saw the name Innocenzo Lamaina Eletto.
You were looking at the name of the official who was elected (eletto=elected/chosen.) If you look at all the other birth records for that year you will see his name at the start of each. The declarants brought the child to him to have the birth recorded.

Perhaps he is related? That would take some further research. :-)

T.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Thank you, That is what I was looking at. I did know if he was a doctor or midwife/person. I saw his name appeared on all the records. He is just a government official attesting to the birth. It looks like he is related to me. There is a posting from kristin676 that explains a relationship. Thanks again for those links you provided. They are helping a lot. If I could only make out the names. The handwriting is hard to make out on some of them. And, I don't know what is a normal for a name.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Hello, Hope all is well. Can I ask you to do me a favor. In birth records year 1827 event 11, image #19. I am reading the father's name as Fortunato(30yo) and Mother's a Madelena(29). Took place on 4/15. But when I look at the index the date seems wrong and the parent's names seem wrong or I can make them out. The index looks like father's name Bonvigo and mother's Mariangela and it happened on 7/3.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Also, I am reading the name of the child as Constantina Antonia but on record it looks like Anna Lucia?
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Disregard 2 previous postings. I see the number on the left is not the event in the log. It is just the numbering of the log. Sorry to bother you.
Nick_Lamaine
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 34
Joined: 31 Aug 2019, 18:49

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Nick_Lamaine »

Hello again, I hope all is well. I have been going through the birth records from Garaguso. Two things seem odd, first sometimes the ages seem off by a few years for father and mother from two different births. Is this normal for very old records? Second, I have found a few cases that the mother/wife's last name is the same as the father/husband's last name. Does this mean anything or they just didn't know the wife's family name?
User avatar
Tessa78
Master
Master
Posts: 18381
Joined: 07 Sep 2009, 18:09

Re: Looking for Lamaina

Post by Tessa78 »

Nick_Lamaine wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 05:29 Hello again, I hope all is well. I have been going through the birth records from Garaguso. Two things seem odd, first sometimes the ages seem off by a few years for father and mother from two different births. Is this normal for very old records? YES Second, I have found a few cases that the mother/wife's last name is the same as the father/husband's last name. Does this mean anything or they just didn't know the wife's family name? Probably distant cousins.
T.
Post Reply