Loubrado Villani

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
Nadine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Sep 2019, 02:56
Contact:

Loubrado Villani

Post by Nadine »

Ciao a tutti!

I am searching for a birth record of my grandfather Loubrado Giovanni Baptista Villani, born 6/25/1895. He always said he was born in Waterbury CT, however no birth records are to be found at the CT state vital statistics office, Waterbury vital statistics office, CT state library, Ancestry.com, FamilySearch both regular search and catalog search.

His older sister Rose was born in Celenza Valfortore, Foggia in 1891. I am wondering if he could have been too.

His parents are Raffaele Villani and Raffaela Bredice Villani. I am not sure of their immigration year. I believe they came thru Ellis Island and then moved to Waterbury.

Raffaele's father was Alfonso Villani and mother was Anna Maria Severo.
Born of noble blood, Raffaele immigrated to the US with a fair amount of money. His wife Raffaela traveled back and forth a few times to Italy to visit relatives, and brought all the kids each time. Raffaele also paid cash for my grandfather to attend college.

Any help appreciated!
Grazie, Nadine Villani
User avatar
Italysearcher
Master
Master
Posts: 3470
Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
Location: Sora, Italy
Contact:

Re: Loubrado Villani

Post by Italysearcher »

Records after 1866 can be viewed on line at Family search. Earlier ones must be viewed at their centres.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Nadine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Sep 2019, 02:56
Contact:

Re: Loubrado Villani

Post by Nadine »

Grazie

Since he was born in 1895, I guess I have exhausted my resources at Family Search. I will try and figure out where to look next. Most likely Italy.
bbivona
Master
Master
Posts: 1154
Joined: 21 Jul 2018, 00:43
Location: Texas e Sicilia, provincia di Trapani

Re: Loubrado Villani

Post by bbivona »

Nadine wrote: 01 Oct 2019, 11:57 Grazie

Since he was born in 1895, I guess I have exhausted my resources at Family Search. I will try and figure out where to look next. Most likely Italy.
I'm not sure if you have looked here, but the 1895 birth records are available at Family Search. I don't see him listed with that birth date, but the records are there.
https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
In the 1920 census, Ralph Villaney is shown there as age 60, born in Italy, but son Louis is shown as living with with the family, age 24, born in Connecticut. Ralph is listed there as having immigrated to America in 1890. So the 1920 census record, with data presumably given by his parents, states that he was born in Connecticut and that they came here about 5 years before he was born. There doesn't seem to be any evidence that he was born in Italy and a lot that he was born in Connecticut.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
Nadine
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 8
Joined: 29 Sep 2019, 02:56
Contact:

Re: Loubrado Villani

Post by Nadine »

Grazie Bbivona.

I will keep digging in Family Search, thanks for the link.

I received in the mail yesterday Loubrado's marriage certificate to my Nonna Rose. The church also sent a copy of his baptismal record from July 21, 1895. It listed him as the son of Raffaele Villani and Rosaria Durante with Raffaele Bredice listed next to her in parenthesis.

I'm not sure what this means. In my mind I am thinking that Loubrado possibly had a different mother (Rosaria) than the rest of his siblings (Raffaela).

If this is so,and Rosaria never left Italy, then birth in Italy would be possible. The next question is how did he get from Italy to the US at one month old?

It seems most likely he was born in CT, but I can't find a birth certificate so far.

Another puzzler is that Loubrado's name is nothing like that of his siblings. His whole name is very formal and his siblings names are not. Could this be due to two different mothers?

I will keep searching .

Grazie, Nadine
Post Reply