Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
What do you thing about Legacy Family Tree? There is a downloadable free version, also in Italian here: http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
Do you think Family Tree Maker is the best software for creating gen trees?
Is there a free/trial/shareware version of it? I would like to try it before purchasing...
Yes, there is a free downloadable version of Family Tree Maker 2005. Use it for 14 days and then you get to keep it but some of the features will be disabled. It works well enough for me though and if you have access to ancestry.com, it allows you to view the person in your tree against it.
I'm going to have a look at the one you suggest and see if I can give you a link to the Family...
Sorry, I think I got the free version by taking the traial of ancestry and then got to keep it. I'll keep looking, though. I know some other members here have family 2006 and they like it.
I have the full version of Family Tree Maker and I'm not impressed,
not as easy to navigate as the Lds Personal Ancestral File.......
would like to see a version of Legacy..........
wldspirit
Please tell me I have not missed mothers day? Maybe its a different date in Britain.
Marsia no its okay I don't feel like my gender is being attacked I just think that there is a communication breakdown between genders at times. For us men well there are things for sharing like dinner, painting, changing plugs etc, and things that need singular concentration like football. I mean my wife she always finds the need to cut a path across the TV whenever I'm watching football or finds the need to strike up a trivial conversation about the roof falling down or the gas oven is close to blowing up. Why can't she wait untill after the match I ask?
More seriously I have had to say goodbye to my only sister and my two nieces yesterday as they emigrate to Australia today. I am happy and sad all at once.
Regards
Searching for Palombella family in Molfetta, Puglia
Its ok Mark - you aren't in trouble with your mum! Mothers days was a couple of months ago here. I have given up trying to fight the football thing - and now actively take part. The men in my life were all out and about doing things this weekend - so I sat down on my own and watched the cup final. Poor Gretna. They came so close
Think of the holiday opportunities in Oz
I'm still using my trusty old Family Tree Maker, but the version I'm using must be two or three years old now. I can't decide whether to upgrade to the latest version or switch to another altogether. I've used FTW since it came on 5 floppys in the days before cds, and been through a few versions - so changing will be a traumatic experience! Its the lack of flexibility in the searching that bugs me. These files are all basically large databases, so I don't understand why they are so inflexible!!
PAF 5.2.........that's the one!!!!!!! Thanks JC.......
Now I like the PAF for it is user friendly.....but no creativity......which is fine, because I think I have found a way around that.......but I paid for the Family Tree Maker and it's just sitting here on the PC desk collecting dust..... .........
Hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's day..... ....and recieved lots of nice gifts!!!!
wldspirit
I use two different programs. I started with Personal Ancestral File (PAF), which is, as noted above, available at no cost from the LDS at www.familysearch.com. I find that it is very user friendly and has a very clean format. I would recommend it to anyone. I use PAF for my "working" database. I also purchased The Master Genealogist (TMG). This software is often rated as the best among those available and it doesn't dissappoint in its features and capabilities. However, it has a high learning curve. I think it would be worthwhile to those who are willing to spend the time necessary to learn all of the feaures of this program and want to enter and manipulate as much data as possible. I hope to use TMG for my finished "family only" database - that is, if and when I learn how to use it.
wldspirit wrote:I have been playing for hours now........and I got nothing done today!!!
Went from one site to another, and another.........oh well.....I saved tons of what I found......figure I'll burn my own graphic cd for backup.....
Also, the thought occured to me......I also do scrapbooking...so why not scan some suitable papers into my image program to use for my charts......ahhhh......the creative juices are flowing now!!!!!!!!!
and my husband wonders what I do all day.......
wldspirit
I was just rereading this thread and notice you do scrapbooking...I just bought a bunch of stuff to try this but I haven't a clue how. Can yourecommend anything? I would like to also incorporate it into my research.
hi Nuccia
Try this site www.createandcraft.comlots of help here with scrapbooking lots of demonstrations too. I make cards etc and scrapbooking is using these skills into what I would describe as a 'detailed photograph album' Makes it much more interesting to look at and you have no doubt about what or who you are looking at, unlike ordinary photograph albums, especially when you dont put the name of the person on the back of the photo!
God Bless
Emmy