?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Marisa and JCSM Thanks to you both for helping me out. I've had all the family trying to work out the surname of the 'uncle' on the passenger list. One thinks it could be Fedore but no relatives with that surname. So much for me thinking that this Michelangelo was born in Britain and that the spelling on the ships manifest was wrong - just found out there is a place in Italy- Bitritto Quite near to Frosinone,Lots of De filippis in that town.So the Michelangelo I've been chasing seems to be the wrong one.
You are two wonderful people using your time helping me.
Many thanks again its very much appreciated
Emmy
User avatar
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by genealogy »

I am searching for my Anselmo ancestors in Sicily. I know that there are 9 different provinces that Anselmo families lived in. How can I find out which province my Anselmo family was from? My grandfather's name was John Anselmo. He would have been born in the early to mid 1850s. His sons names were John and Angelo. He had a daughter named Josephine.

Thank you,
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

deleted-post on new topic COLONNA
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

deleted-SAA
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 May 2006, 00:00

RE: Anselmo Ancestors in Sicily

Post by genealogy »

John Anselmo was married to Jennie Colonna and both were born in Sicily. They were my great-grandparents. They had three children, Angelo, John and Josephine who were born in Sicily. Angelo changed his name to Colonna or Colona before or after he immigrated to Louisiana. He was born December 25, 1875 in Sicily. Angelo moved from Louisiana to Illinois. He married Rosina Allotta or Allatta in Illinois on September 5, 1903. I do not know what year Angelo immigrated to Louisiana. Then they moved to St. Louis, MO where Angelo died on December 16, 1924 and was buried in Calvary Cemetery. Angelo’s sister, Josephine, immigrated in 1903 to Louisiana and married Tony Messina. They also moved to Illinois where both Angelo and his brother-in-law, Tony, worked in the Big Muddy Coal Mine. Josephine and her husband are listed in the Illinois 1920 US Census. I do not know what state Josephine and her husband Tony died in. I also do not know if John Anselmo and Jennie Colonna’s son, John, immigrated to the US. Thank you for replying to my message.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

delete-SAA
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

deleted-SAA
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi jcsm and Marisa
I have just read my last reply to you both. My Michelangelo was definately born in Scotland. what I did mean was that I had mistaken what had been written on the ships manifest and it was that Michelangelo listed there that had not been born in Britain he had been born in Bitritto in Italy. (Old age catching up!)
Do any of you know if passenger ships left Glasgow to USA in the early 1900's
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Emmy

Yes - lots of passenger ships left Glasgow bound for the States. If you go to the Steve Morse site you can search by the place ships left from. Go to 'white form', then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page. Under 'ports' click on 'British Isles' check the 'Glasgow, Scotland' box, click 'ok' and then 'search'. Without a name the search can take a long time!!!! It is probably best to specify a date as well if you aren't searching for a specific name. I love that site!!! Learned about that one here :D

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Genealogy

I think you might be better putting your research under a different posting. :D Click 'new post' and put 'Anselmo' in it. That way everyone looking at the message board will be able to see the name, and immediately identify if they can help :wink:

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi Marisa,
In your debt once again, Thanks for that link to the Glasgow sailings maybe have more luck there finding Michelangelo, perhaps he didnt go back to Italy and left from Glasgow. only thing I'm sure of is he did go to USA. I've ordered the microfiche films for Sant'Elia this morning and was told it could take up to 5/6 weeks for them to come (only cost is £2.70 per film) they keep them for 4 weeks at the centre and that can be extended if required. Looking forward to them coming. I've been thinking too perhaps my grandfather may have come from Bitritto, lots of Defilippis there. If I dont have any luck with these films its another avenue I can try. Thought I'd maybe get some housework done while waiting for the films to come but now that you have given me the link to the Glasgow sailings!??! Decided I'll not move the ornaments and the dust wont show! I've got hooked on this site its so informative!!!! Thanks to everyone for all the help given.
Emmy xxx
User avatar
genealogy
Rookie
Rookie
Posts: 29
Joined: 13 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by genealogy »

Thank you for your suggestions. Yes my grandparents are Angelo Anselmo/Colonna/ Colona and Rosina/Rosa/Rose Allotta or Allatta.
I sent for Angelo's death certificate to Missouri, but there was none on their records. I do have their marriage license and certificate from Illinois, but it doesn't indicate where they were born in Sicily. I will search for his sister's, Josephine, manifest record in 1903. I do have a birth record for Josephine's daughter, Lena Messina Perry, which says her mother was born in Italy. I do have Angelo's daughter, Jennie's birth and death record which says Italy. Angelo died in 1924 in St. Louis, MO and Rose Colona is listed in the 1930 St. Louis, MO census which says born in Italy. I could not find a census for them in 1920. Angelo and Rosina/Rosa/Rose had a son named John. I checked with his family and no one knows where in Sicily the family lived.
User avatar
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 1302
Joined: 06 Oct 2003, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by VaDeb »

Genealogy,

Use the search button at the very top of this page. Search for all entries containing "Allotta". YOu will find a few other posts on this surname from the Louisiana. Perhaps these will help you.

As was suggested before, you should start your own topic. It gets confusing following two different families in the same post.
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Emmy,

Sorry we hijacked your thread for awhile. Hope it didn't cause any confusion.

Joyce :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi jcsm
No harm done. Just thought I had been up to my tricks again and pressed the wrong keys. I wish 'genealogy' good luck with the search for family information. This is definately the best site to visit to get lots of friendly advice. Thanks again Emmy
Post Reply