Picozzi family ancestry

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by nuccia »

Since I'm online, I can link this for you..

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/9009/imagex9kx.gif

England & Wales, FreeBMD Death Index: 1837-1983 Recordinfo
about Emma Picozzi
Name: Emma Picozzi
Birth Date: abt 1857
Year of Registration: 1908
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Age at death: 51
District: Westminster (1870-1913)
County: London, Middlesex
Volume: 1a
Page: 378 (click to see others on page)

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by nuccia »

While I'm at it, I'm going to link the census that Marisa first found for Carlo..1881

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/3925/imagex4hf.gif

Nuccia
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
Image
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Nuccia you are a gem :D

David - I found the info on FreeBMD - (Free births, marriages and deaths). Its a great site and free :D :D :D http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/ Don't use the boxes at the top of the page to search - that is a link to Ancestry - scroll down a bit to the red box that says 'search'.

I have just noticed you are in London. You could even visit the Westminster Registrars - it might be faster. Here is a link to their webpage http://www.westminster.gov.uk/community ... registrar/

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

also could be interesting to find the birthplace of other Picozzi emigrated in UK, it is possible also that was related; the birthyear(probable) is already a good point, but is necessary almost to find the mother surname.... for to know abt the possible birth common... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

also could be interesting to find the birthplace of other Picozzi emigrated in UK, it is possible also that was related; the birthyear(probable) is already a good point, but is necessary almost to find the mother surname.... for to know abt the possible birth common... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Two things I find quite interesting looking at the census images Nuccia posted. Firstly - Carlo and Emma were living at the same address in the two censuses. That was quite unusual in those days. The other thing looking at the neighbours names is that many are also Italian. As many Italians came over on a system of chain migration - if you get desparate you could look into their background. They amy be from the same area. This neighbourhood looks like it might have been a bit of an Italian enclave, so the church records are definitely worth a look.

Following up Suanj's suggestion I will take a closer look at the Scottish Picozzi family - but I don't hold out too much hope. The birth certificates of children are the best bet for finding villages of origin - and they came up with a blank :cry:

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

See if this link works! It should bring up the death certificate of the father of the Scottish Picozzi family.

[img=http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7996 ... 0ow.th.jpg]

The most interesting things to note are the other surnames - his wife was a Saracini (I think) and his mother a Petterossa - both unusual names. His son lived in Weymouth - so a link to the English family perhaps

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

Marisa6 wrote:See if this link works! It should bring up the death certificate of the father of the Scottish Picozzi family.

[img=http://img124.imageshack.us/img124/7996 ... 0ow.th.jpg]

The most interesting things to note are the other surnames - his wife was a Saracini (I think) and his mother a Petterossa - both unusual names. His son lived in Weymouth - so a link to the English family perhaps

Marisa
Marisa. Picozzi, Saracino and Pettorossi ( right spell) all, and togheter, are in Pozzilli town, isernia province, molise region... my last search about italians emigrated in Uk, well they coming from Pozzilli and many people was emigrated from here in UK! regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Suanj

Now that is interesting! The only other names I can find associated with Picozzi in Scotland are Ventre and Pacitti from marriage certificates. But the further forward in time you get - the less likely it is that a marriage would be between two people from the same village - so I'm not as sure about these.

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Ok - another suggestion. You will notice from the death certificate that the Scottish Picozzi lived in Coatbridge. This is a smallish town to the south of Glasgow. If you go to the UK BT online phonebook you will find three Picozzis listed in Coatbridge. If you aren't easily embarrassed you could try phoning them an see what they know about their family's origins - or you could writing a letter. In every family there is someone who remembers the family history! Worth a try - anything is better than writing to hundreds of comunes!

Marisa

PS - there are two Picozzis in London
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by nuccia »

Marisa6,

A letter may not be a bad idea. I believe it was Trish who suggested once to maybe include a copy of a pedigree sheet and a bit of information about yourself and who you're looking for just to introduce yourself.

Hopefully, the poster will have some good luck...

Nuccia
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Hi Nuccia

Thats a good idea! Its funny - in my experience you get one of two reactions. People are either very interested - or they tell you to get lost!! At least if its a letter they can just ignore it if they want. I have never liked phones - I like to be able to see the face of the person I'm talking to!!!

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by wldspirit »

I'm not one to hang on the phone.......contrary to what most men think about women!!! :wink:
But last week I obtained an obituary for my husbands line, and thru this was able to track down the only two living siblings of that generation. The sister, living in Alaska, was able to confirm some info for me......but the brother in Florida is a walking, talking history book!!!!! Thru him I was able to go back four more generations....the conversation was amazing.........at 83, and the youngest of 11 children, his memory was so sharp, he told a story about each of the names he had given me, and was very excited that I am doing this.....he was worried that it would all be lost when he passed as none of his children or grandchildren are interested in family history.......
Now I can say I nearly had an anxiety attack calling a complete stranger, but it worked out so well, we have spoken on the phone twice since Friday.........
wldspirit
User avatar
Marisa6
Elite
Elite
Posts: 362
Joined: 09 Mar 2006, 00:00
Location: Scotland

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by Marisa6 »

Ah - now that is a heart-warming story. You get such a buzz when you uncover a whole lot of info like that - and its great when you meet someone else who is really interested and knows their stuff. Its interesting that you say he was the youngest. The holy grail of information in our family was an old aunt of mine, now sadly passed on, and she was the youngest of her family too. Boy did she know some family gossip! I wish I had listened more closely now - but the bits I can remember have come in really useful. Thanks Aunty Molly wherever you are!!! She would always tell the stories that everyone else tried to keep quiet :D I reckon that the older people get, the less guarded they become about family secrets, and so it is the youngest members of their families that get to hear all the stories.

Its so nice when you find someone who has guarded the family history - and its nice for them too when they find someone younger who is interested. I hope one of my kids - or maybe one of my grandkids will keep the fire burning!!

Talking of kids - mine are watching the european champions league at the moment - so I have peace :D

Marisa
Visocchi, Forte, Marcantonio, Iannetta
User avatar
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 15251
Joined: 20 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Molise region, Italy
Contact:

Re: Picozzi family ancestry

Post by suanj »

Marisa6 wrote:Hi Suanj

Now that is interesting! The only other names I can find associated with Picozzi in Scotland are Ventre and Pacitti from marriage certificates. But the further forward in time you get - the less likely it is that a marriage would be between two people from the same village - so I'm not as sure about these.

Marisa
Hi Marisa: Ventre and Pacitti same area of Picozzi.. between Lazio region, Molise and Abruzzo, pratically Italy's "heart"...
about the letter or to phone call, I believe is better a letter.. just my opinion... wishes and kisses, for you and for Lisa, thanks, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Post Reply