?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Post Reply
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

Thanks for your understanding.

As always, you are wlecome. Glad I could help a little. Look for to hearing from you in the near future......hopefully, you'll have a bunch of new informatiom!

Best wishes,

Joyce
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
Has anyone joined or got any information re Ancestry.com. I was thinking about doing the free trial to see how it works but from what I understand if you want to cancel then I read somewhere that it would be better to phone USA to do this rather than by email. Makes me a bit apprehensive about giving credit card details. Maybe this is the Scottish part of me being cautious.
A big thanks to everyone, especially Marisa, for all the help and advice given I'm finding out so much about my father's side of the family -they are still coming creeping out of the woodwork. its just facinating finding out about aunts and uncles you didnt know existed and although they are long gone its still nice to know about them, but so far I haven't caught up with Michelangelo De filippis born in 1894 in Scotland. I'm still waiting for the microfiche films to arrive. Will let you know what information I get from them
Thanks again
Emmy
wldspirit
Staff
Staff
Posts: 5606
Joined: 17 Nov 2004, 00:00
Location: U.S.A.
Contact:

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by wldspirit »

The free trial gives you limited info.........and it does require a credit card for payment, I to was reluctant about this, but it has worked out. Another member, Mfjp had them double bill her, but was able to straighten it all out.

Ancestry is ok, but pricey in my opinion.........don't know if I will renew next year or not..... :?

Public libraries and the family history centers usually have it available for free use!!!

wldspirit
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

wldspirit:-Many thanks for that information, I wont do anything until I try our local library next time I'm there, dont know why I didn't think about that, probably because its easier to just sit at the computer at home- old age catching up!!!!
Kind regards
Emmy
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by nuccia »

Emmy,

I have world Ancestry and yes, it's pricey! I used my credit card and have had no problems. I have called the toll free US number and the represetatives were wonderful. I did get family tree maker 2005 for free when I signed up for my trial and got to keep the program minus a few features which wasn't a bad deal (especially just for the trial).

If you have enough info to start with and enough time to play, then its not bad but remember, don't sign up on a weekend (advice from Mfjp) because it may interfere with cancellation...after that if you only plan to use it for your own family, it may have limited usefulness on and off and you would be better going to a public library.

I would like to try genealogy.com (?) and compare the two.

I'd take the trial and then make your own decision...compare all the packages offered though before actually purchasing and remeber it's in US dollars when billed (caught the Canadian in me off guard) :lol: :lol: Thankfully, it's paid for itself because I use it to help others.

Nuccia
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Thanks Nuccia
I contacted my library today. The librarian tried it out but only got the basic information and then you have to subscribe as you would do with your own computer. I still havent made up my mind yet because sometimes when I go into Ancestry it comes up with relevant information and the next time I go in and type in the same information just to re-check it comes up 'sorry no results'. In the 1891 Enlgland Census It showed up one family in London with my gradfather's surname-Defilippis and the next time I tried nothing came up. I even did alternate spellings. The same happened when I did a RANK search for births the name
Michaelina De felippis came up born 1895, London, Kent (same place where my dad was registered)who I think may be my dad's sister. But when I tried again it didn't show up so I've sent off a letter to Greenwich to try to find out the names of Michaelina's mother and father. Back to where I started 30 years ago writing letters and getting nowhere fast. I've found out so much, in such a short space of time, since I joined this forum you are all first class and deserves medals for the help you all give. Thanks again Nuccia.
God Bless
Emmy
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi everyone
Anyone have any suggestions how I could find out if my grandmother (born approx 1860/63) (Married 1878 italy) had any other children born in Italy before they came to England. I know their was a son Frank (Francesco?)born there about 1882/83 but I cant trace any record of his birth in Italy on Familysearch.org. or on Ancestry.com but he is on the Scottish 1901 census under surame 'De Phillips' and this states he was born in Italy. Also if a child, born in Italy about that time, was 'stillborn', would the birth and the death both need to be registered separately?
Grateful for any help/ideas
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

As stated before, the LDS (Mormans) have films for Sant"Elia that go to 1899. If she had any children born in that town they will be recorded.

Here is a link to the films.

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... ato+civile++

One of my comunes has still births listed separately from the main death index, the other has them listed together, but I haven't found any stillbirths recorded in birth records.

Hope it helps.

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Hi jcsm
Do I understand correctly that the births recorded on 'films' wont show up on a normal surname search with just 'Italy' filled in for the country? (The 'films' you suggested before, I've ordered but they havent arrived yet but they wont cover the period of time I would need to look at for the stillbirths but from the link you sent there is a film available so I will send for that too) Re the stillbirths I'll just concentrate on the death records for them meantime.
Thanks again for you help
God Bless
Emmy
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Emmy,

Most (99.99% ?) Italian vital records are not online. You have to know the town in Italy where the event occurred to find the record, either through LDS films or by writing to the town.

Your're welcome & good hunting :!:

jcsm :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
annasacchetti
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 9
Joined: 26 May 2006, 00:00
Location: Boston

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by annasacchetti »

Hello everyone,

I came across this forum via google and you seem to have a lot of resources regarding Italian lineage.

I'm in the process of getting together my great-grandparents birth and marriage certificates in Italy for my Italian citizenship. My great-grandmother was born in Sant'Elia Fiumerapido, Italy. Her name was Maria Alviano. What is the best possible way to get her birth certificate?

I appreciate any info you can give me.

Matthew
investinproperties@gmail.com
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Matthew,

Please delete this post, since you have your own post regarding this.

Thanks. :) :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
User avatar
Emmy
Master
Master
Posts: 639
Joined: 11 May 2006, 00:00

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by Emmy »

Thanks jcsm for that last piece of information. I've been sitting for hours trying all different combinations of spellings of names with no results. Now I know why! I'll need to pluck up courage and go to Sant'Elia for a holiday- but then there is the added problem that IF I EVER get there, everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road :roll: :lol: !!!!!
Thanks again Joyce
God Bless
Emmy
ps I did find birth and marriage notes on my husbands maternal grandparents and I wasnt searching for that at the time. Just luck I suppose or else someone 'UP THERE' or it could be 'DOWN THERE! is giving me a helping hand too.!!!!
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.
Posts: 2111
Joined: 31 Jan 2006, 00:00
Location: USA

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by jcsm400 »

Emmy wrote:Thanks jcsm for that last piece of information. I've been sitting for hours trying all different combinations of spellings of names with no results. Now I know why! I'll need to pluck up courage and go to Sant'Elia for a holiday- but then there is the added problem that IF I EVER get there, everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road :roll: :lol: !!!!!
Thanks again Joyce
God Bless
Emmy
ps I did find birth and marriage notes on my husbands maternal grandparents and I wasnt searching for that at the time. Just luck I suppose or else someone 'UP THERE' or it could be 'DOWN THERE! is giving me a helping hand too.!!!!
Writing the town for the records or ordering the films would be faster (but not as much fun as going there!).

Mormans believe that you can't met your relatives in heaven unless you know who they were....that's why they are into genealogy & have done the filmings of records all over the world.....They also say that your deceased relatives want to be found & do help you!

Glad I could help a little. Good luck in your research.

Joyce :)
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
nuccia
Staff
Staff
Posts: 4606
Joined: 20 Nov 2005, 00:00
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact:

Re: ?Defilippis/Bastianell: MyGrandparents

Post by nuccia »

jcsm400 wrote:
Emmy wrote:Thanks jcsm for that last piece of information. I've been sitting for hours trying all different combinations of spellings of names with no results. Now I know why! I'll need to pluck up courage and go to Sant'Elia for a holiday- but then there is the added problem that IF I EVER get there, everyone will be driving on the wrong side of the road :roll: :lol: !!!!!
Thanks again Joyce
God Bless
Emmy
ps I did find birth and marriage notes on my husbands maternal grandparents and I wasnt searching for that at the time. Just luck I suppose or else someone 'UP THERE' or it could be 'DOWN THERE! is giving me a helping hand too.!!!!
Writing the town for the records or ordering the films would be faster (but not as much fun as going there!).

Mormans believe that you can't met your relatives in heaven unless you know who they were....that's why they are into genealogy & have done the filmings of records all over the world.....They also say that your deceased relatives want to be found & do help you!

Glad I could help a little. Good luck in your research.

Joyce :)
I never knew this Joyce! Thanks for sharing it with us. :D

Nuccia :D
Post Reply