Hello all, I hope you can help me.
I have been fervently searching for my GGGF’s birth certificate to no avail. I have located all of his documents in America, including when he came over with his wife Genoeffa di Maria in 1898. His name was Enrico Tofano, born January 3, 1877.
He listed his place of birth as Naples, both in his Draft Registration and Naturalization paperwork. I understand that many who did this did not live in Naples, but alas this is the information I have to go off of.
I have searched Antenati without success. I’ve even gone through and found his Social Security application, in which he listed Anthony Tofano and Vincenza Castagliola as his mother and father. I found a few records of someone by this name in Antenati, with their birthdays making them around the age most had children at that time (from 17 upwards of 35).
However, I cannot find a record of marriage of Vincenza anywhere, including her hometown – where I understand it is customary to marry a bride where she lives. I also found no records of Anthony.
The leads me to believe that Anthony and Enrico were born somewhere in Naples where there are no online records of their birth.
Further, I have manually gone through ever scan (microfilm) of every available town/commune in the Napoli region, going through the handwritten records to see the birth of Enrico Tofano on January 3, 1877. I have not found anything.
This is where I am at. Unfortunately, I’m unaware of what else to do at this point. I’ve considered creating a PEC email and sending individual requests to each commune in the Province requesting Enrico’s birth certificate. I am trying to locate a record on my own before resorting to that measure.
Has anyone found success in locating records from Naples? And if so, can you advise me on best next steps?
Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
-
TofanoSearcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 10 Feb 2020, 17:33
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
Mod, can you please approve my post? I submitted yesterday morning and there are a slew of new posts but mine has not been approved. If I have violated a rule, please let me know so I may correct it. I could really use some help in my search.
-
luigirusso007
- Veteran

- Posts: 103
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 07:11
- Location: Napoli, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
I found an Antonio Tofano di Gaetano born in 1840 in the Chiaia neighborhood. You could try asking for the full birth certificate in the Chiaia district with the date of birth that you have at the Naples Registry Office. When providing complete data they should find the act.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
Luigi
luigirusso07@libero.it
luigirusso07@libero.it
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
Antenati and Family Search for Naples only go to 1865. As luigirusso007 said you could try requesting the 1877 birth record from the Chiaia district since you MUST know the district to request records from Naples. Naples is not the best at responding to requests.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
-
TofanoSearcher
- Newbie

- Posts: 7
- Joined: 10 Feb 2020, 17:33
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
Italysearcher wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 15:18 Antenati and Family Search for Naples only go to 1865. As luigirusso007 said you could try requesting the 1877 birth record from the Chiaia district since you MUST know the district to request records from Naples. Naples is not the best at responding to requests.
I know I have requested this information but I am not surprised I haven't heard back since it has only been a few days. Thank you as well Luigirusso007, that information seems to check out. This post had been waiting for about a week to be approved by the mods, and literally the night before it posted, I had paid someone to provide me this information. However, she also made translations of this document, as well as proof that this is most likely the Antonio I'm searching for, since this Antonio married Vincenza Costagliola, my GGGGM, as reflected in his Social Security information. So the payment was truly necessary.
Italysearcher, can you help me obtain these documents from the Chiaia comune? Or direct me to somebody with boots on the ground in Naples who can?
- Italysearcher
- Master

- Posts: 3470
- Joined: 06 Jan 2008, 19:58
- Location: Sora, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
Luigirusso is located in Naples. Maybe he can help you. Naples is not good at responding to written requests.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
-
luigirusso007
- Veteran

- Posts: 103
- Joined: 27 Sep 2013, 07:11
- Location: Napoli, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Stuck at Naples - Enrico Tofano
kind Tofanosearcher,
I sent her a private message
Luigi
I sent her a private message
Luigi
Luigi
luigirusso07@libero.it
luigirusso07@libero.it