Birth cert translation
Birth cert translation
Whilst searching for a birth cert for a different sibling I have found yet another sibling for my G. Grandfather and would appreciate more help with translation please...
entry number 18
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1019419
many thanks,
John
entry number 18
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1019419
many thanks,
John
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth cert translation
April 9, 1882
appeared: Felice Dodero, 28, contadino (peasant farmer) residence is also given (28 borgota Maifonitta?)
his wife Domenica Maritano, contadina (peasant farmer)
on April 9, 1882 at 4:30am, gave birth to a baby boy named Livio Pasaquale
appeared: Felice Dodero, 28, contadino (peasant farmer) residence is also given (28 borgota Maifonitta?)
his wife Domenica Maritano, contadina (peasant farmer)
on April 9, 1882 at 4:30am, gave birth to a baby boy named Livio Pasaquale
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth cert translation
It's fairly easy to learn how to translate the basics in these records. I think you'll find it rewarding if you give it a try.
Re: Birth cert translation
Borgata Maisonetta
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth cert translation
The letter "s" can still fool me.
Re: Birth cert translation
This is an interesting point.darkerhorse wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:33 It's fairly easy to learn how to translate the basics in these records. I think you'll find it rewarding if you give it a try.
I will admit that when someone pointed out that these Italian records were available, it was overwhelming to think that I would be able to find information myself within records written in a language I don't speak or read.
However, when the people on this site started doing very quick translations, I began to see certain patterns and where to look. This allowed me to gain some confidence to slowly work through this. Eventually I became quicker and now it isn't daunting at all and, certainly, quite rewarding.
Of course, I still need the experts here to decipher some unusual items or translate a record written with certain "flair".
Re: Birth cert translation
This Italian Records Extraction Guide will also help.
Scroll down to the guide
https://script.byu.edu/Pages/the-italia ... english%29
T.
Scroll down to the guide
https://script.byu.edu/Pages/the-italia ... english%29
T.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth cert translation
In general, it's been my experience that discovering genealogical information for yourself is the most rewarding experience.
Finding clues, solving mysteries, building a story, translating, etc.
But I agree on needing the assistance of those more experienced and those who speak the language.
Finding clues, solving mysteries, building a story, translating, etc.
But I agree on needing the assistance of those more experienced and those who speak the language.
-
darkerhorse
- Master

- Posts: 4006
- Joined: 11 Jun 2020, 18:31
Re: Birth cert translation
I think it means so much more if you build the family tree, as opposed to being given one ready made. The latter is more superficial.
-
AngelaGrace56
- Master

- Posts: 8078
- Joined: 16 Oct 2012, 10:54
Re: Birth cert translation
darkerhorse wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:30 April 9, 1882
appeared: Felice Dodero, 28, contadino (peasant farmer) residence is also given (28 Borgata Maisonetta)
his wife Domenica Maritano, contadina (peasant farmer)
on April 9, 1882 at 4:30am, gave birth to a baby boy named Livio Pasquale
Further info from the Birth Record:
There's side note which isn't the clearest. Someone else could either confirm or edit:
"Marries with Adele ....? (possibly Dodero? or not) on 28 October 1924?, Act No 14, in the town of S. Antonino"
John: I think I may have found the syblings you are looking for. See the following:
Related thread: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 56#p303456
Angela
Re: Birth cert translation
Many thanks everyone for help, guidance and support...as well as patience.
Over the past few weeks I have been learning from the translations received, I have been picking up words and patterns and although very slowly at first (just not as slow now
) I have been identifying records relevant to my search, the odd mismatch now and again, and I think the recent flurry of posts shows that to be the case as I am picking these out quite quickly now.
I totally agree that it is very rewarding and also a sense of achievement to decipher your own discovery, especially more so when you were initially overwhelmed with so many records in a style, language and structure you have no experience with, as in reading, writing, speaking. Now being able to pick out names, towns, and slowly adding occupations etc. Deciphering handwriting is a challenge for sure but again, slowly, I am seeing words, sure, I still have a long way to go but learning all the time and still a hell of a long way to go before I will even be on the same page as you guys.
From early June I have been able to add 35 people to my tree as a direct result from my trawling the records and the support of the forum members in translating many of these - these were the Italian roots of my tree - and I have much more to find which will be helped greatly by what I learn from my own translated records as well as those of other members records.
Many thanks once again everyone,
John
Over the past few weeks I have been learning from the translations received, I have been picking up words and patterns and although very slowly at first (just not as slow now
I totally agree that it is very rewarding and also a sense of achievement to decipher your own discovery, especially more so when you were initially overwhelmed with so many records in a style, language and structure you have no experience with, as in reading, writing, speaking. Now being able to pick out names, towns, and slowly adding occupations etc. Deciphering handwriting is a challenge for sure but again, slowly, I am seeing words, sure, I still have a long way to go but learning all the time and still a hell of a long way to go before I will even be on the same page as you guys.
From early June I have been able to add 35 people to my tree as a direct result from my trawling the records and the support of the forum members in translating many of these - these were the Italian roots of my tree - and I have much more to find which will be helped greatly by what I learn from my own translated records as well as those of other members records.
Many thanks once again everyone,
John
Re: Birth cert translation
Hi Angela, thank you for your many replies, very helpful, the original post from your link was actually posted by myself when I first joined, I didn't know how to post and thought there was an issue with my pc and my account...I had attempted to post the message several times and it never appeared, I then set up this account to try and post - but had the same issue.
I contacted the site admin and they explained that as a newbie my messages had to be approved before being seen on forum, they were able to delete what would have been many multiples of the same post but I didn't ask them to delete the JARNN account, I just never used afterwards.
Amalia Adele Dodero, Felice Dodero and 'Charles' Dodero were my links into my Italian tree...my G.Grandfather and his sister and my GG Grandfather...through these and the forum I have been able to delve further back and add to my records.
Best regards,
John
I contacted the site admin and they explained that as a newbie my messages had to be approved before being seen on forum, they were able to delete what would have been many multiples of the same post but I didn't ask them to delete the JARNN account, I just never used afterwards.
Amalia Adele Dodero, Felice Dodero and 'Charles' Dodero were my links into my Italian tree...my G.Grandfather and his sister and my GG Grandfather...through these and the forum I have been able to delve further back and add to my records.
Best regards,
John
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 00:49darkerhorse wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:30 April 9, 1882
John: I think I may have found the syblings you are looking for. See the following:
Related thread: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 56#p303456
Angela
Re: Birth cert translation
Many thanks T,Tessa78 wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 23:26 This Italian Records Extraction Guide will also help.
Scroll down to the guide
https://script.byu.edu/Pages/the-italia ... english%29
T.
will have a good read through this, thank you
John
Re: Birth cert translation
(*)AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 00:49darkerhorse wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:30 April 9, 1882
appeared: Felice Dodero, 28, contadino (peasant farmer) residence is also given (28 Borgata Maisonetta)
his wife Domenica Maritano, contadina (peasant farmer)
on April 9, 1882 at 4:30am, gave birth to a baby boy named Livio Pasquale
Further info from the Birth Record:
There's side note which isn't the clearest. Someone else could confirm (*):
"Marries with Adele Dodero on 28 October 1924, Act No 14, in the town of S. Antonino"
John: I think I may have found the syblings you are looking for. See the following:
Related thread: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 56#p303456
Angela
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1019419
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?”
Slava Ukraine! 
תחי ישראל
Re: Birth cert translation
mmogno wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 11:12(*)AngelaGrace56 wrote: 11 Jul 2020, 00:49darkerhorse wrote: 10 Jul 2020, 18:30 April 9, 1882
appeared: Felice Dodero, 28, contadino (peasant farmer) residence is also given (28 Borgata Maisonetta)
his wife Domenica Maritano, contadina (peasant farmer)
on April 9, 1882 at 4:30am, gave birth to a baby boy named Livio Pasquale
Further info from the Birth Record:
There's side note which isn't the clearest. Someone else could confirm (*):
"Marries with Adele Dodero on 28 October 1924, Act No 14, in the town of S. Antonino"
John: I think I may have found the syblings you are looking for. See the following:
Related thread: https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 56#p303456
Angela
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1019419
I think Adele may be a cousin to my G Grandfather (brother of Livio) as her father is Effisio Dodero and the address, Borgata Maisonette? was also used on birth cert for another sibling of Livio. I think I also seen the name Lombardo on this cert but am unsure what the relationship, if any, was. Lombardo was the maiden name of one of my GGG Grandparents - Marianna Lombardo who was married to Andrea Dodero - it could also be the grandparent of Adele which would possibly confirm her dad and my GG Grandfather were brothers ( Effisio and Felice)
best regards,
John

